Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Lisa, swimwear is moving along. Good for you for taking on a finicky item. I gave up swimwear sewing in my teens when styles moved from the all cotton baby doll apron styles of the early '70s to Speedos. I made a 2 piece out of tricot and didn't test drive it at home. Imagine my 17 year old embarrasment when my wet suit both stretched and became see through. No swimwear since then.

A recent cruise booking has me sewing lightweight duster coat, beach coverup 'dress', altering a beach bag (adding zipper to top opening and might sew in a zipped pocket) and 2 shell and stone necklaces.

I am impressed with anyone that sews garments. My mother was fabulous and made most of my clothes growing up. I think that gene skipped a generation. LOL. I don't sew for cruises but I do knit beaded, lace shawls and I recently wove a bag that I took to Alaska. I also made a hat and cowl for the Hubbard Glacier day and was very happy to have them that day. I am going to try a little sewing with my next weaving project.

Lisa,

It sounds like you are going full steam ahead on your swimsuit project. It is exciting to think of the finish product.

Mef_57,

I all most choked on my soda when I read about your swimsuit. It is funny now, but not then.

Kekski,

Welcome to the thread. It sounds like you make beautiful things. Making a lace shawl is quite a undertaking. It must be beautiful.

I would post a picture but cc does not like my pictures. If you go to Ravelry and look for Keksie you can see several of my shawls in projects. Last year the designer I use for a lot of my shawls had a challenge to knit 10 of her shawls in a year. It gave me a lot of shawls for cruises plus a nice wedding shawl for my niece.

One top done!!!! I love the fit, but will bring the neckline up a bit. I found super power mesh at JoAnn’s today, so the next one will have a panel of that. 1f88045ad63c7be13c64b3f03c361347.jpgfd23f1ba061d715a9aafce95024ed557.jpg

I may add a flounce to one of the future tops.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lias,

The top looks great. What a job you did!

I would post a picture but cc does not like my pictures. If you go to Ravelry and look for Keksie you can see several of my shawls in projects. Last year the designer I use for a lot of my shawls had a challenge to knit 10 of her shawls in a year. It gave me a lot of shawls for cruises plus a nice wedding shawl for my niece.

Do you have a link?

I have just made this at my sewing group it’s taken 4 hours to make! I am going to wear it with either pink skinny jeans or white linen trousers. I will take a picture of me actually wearing it when we go on the Bliss next week for our Californian Coastal Cruise. 627390eb6950b4961d19bf62bd703f40.jpg40dbb2c5e0f75806f441f1f964939bcd.jpg

I have just made this at my sewing group it’s taken 4 hours to make! I am going to wear it with either pink skinny jeans or white linen trousers. I will take a picture of me actually wearing it when we go on the Bliss next week for our Californian Coastal Cruise. 627390eb6950b4961d19bf62bd703f40.jpg40dbb2c5e0f75806f441f1f964939bcd.jpg

WOW! Your blouse came out beautiful. I love the colors, and it will go well with so many colors. Thank you for giving us the pattern number too.

One question, are the arm holes big?

It looks fabulous Niki!

I am working on the bikini bottom again today. The big thing is figuring out the length for the elastic for the legs. First attempt was too tight.

I also ordered a new sewing machine that will arrive tomorrow. It’s the Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine. I decided that it’s time to upgrade and get more features than my old one has. So today is all the serging and tomorrow the new machine arrives for all the finishing. Will test first. 087e783e122c46726d6c810fece14c74.jpg

Lisa

It looks fabulous Niki!

I am working on the bikini bottom again today. The big thing is figuring out the length for the elastic for the legs. First attempt was too tight.

I also ordered a new sewing machine that will arrive tomorrow. It’s the Brother CS6000i sewing and quilting machine. I decided that it’s time to upgrade and get more features than my old one has. So today is all the serging and tomorrow the new machine arrives for all the finishing. Will test first. 087e783e122c46726d6c810fece14c74.jpg

Lisa

Wow sewing a bikini! I haven’t even mastered darts yet!

Wow sewing a bikini! I haven’t even mastered darts yet!

I am totally impressed that you sew wovens. I am a 100% knit sewer and do not venture into the scary land of non-stretch fabrics. I started making all my workout gear for rowing 4 years ago, and then started making skirts, tops, and pj's. The basic bikini is the toughest skill level garment I have made so far and I am really happy with the results.

Lisa

I am totally impressed that you sew wovens. I am a 100% knit sewer and do not venture into the scary land of non-stretch fabrics. I started making all my workout gear for rowing 4 years ago, and then started making skirts, tops, and pj's. The basic bikini is the toughest skill level garment I have made so far and I am really happy with the results.

Lisa

I am struggling with T shirt fabric so the opposite to you. Btw just spent the morning packing for a cruise!

Lisa,

Congrats on your new sewing machine. I know that you will get lots of use out of it. The bathing suit looks wonderful.

Nikkiw60,

Where are you going on your cruise/ Are you bring any of the clothes that you made?

I sew with cotton, seersucker, silky fabrics, a lot of the fabric that I buy in Joann's simply silky collection. Some of them have a little stretch in them.I am still afraid to sew with knit fabrics.

I am struggling with T shirt fabric so the opposite to you. Btw just spent the morning packing for a cruise!

Have fun on your cruise! For knits make sure you are using a ball point or a stretch needle. Universal does not work well with knits.

Lisa