Bathing Suit Cover-Up --- Men's Shirt!

mailbroad

I recently purchased a bathing suit cover-up that was called a Boyfriend Shirt. I was very disappointed when I received it. It was $49.95 and not worth it in my opinion. But, it gave me the idea to go to Goodwill and buy an XL men's shirt instead! I found one made by Gap that is pretty and is a fabric blend so it will dry a little faster! A smaller or larger lady than me could buy a size appropriate for them. Check those thrift stores.

For many years, I have used over-sized mens shirts as bathing suit cover-ups. I buy them new, but at end-of-season sales and using coupons. I have them in various colors and fabrics so that I can match my swimsuits.

I also have a few that I use as bathrobes.

Since I buy them so inexpensively, I don't have to worry if anything happens to them.

I started doing this after Mr Chew received an Aloha Shirt that was way too big for him (and he's 6'4" and around 230) … and we couldn't return it. I don't usually get them that much too big for me anymore, but it is nice to have some extra room, especially over a bathing suit!

I definitely have used a men's shirt as a cover up...they work out really well. Shirts I like from my husband or sons, that they don't wear anymore or the edge of the collar or sleeve is a little worn...perfect!

Not sure if it's the same item but I have 3 of the Gap "Oversize Boyfriend Shirt in Linen" (lavender, white and navy blue). I grabbed them about a month ago when they were on sale, with 50% off sale promo, and go them for about $12 each. I love linen and even though they aren't the BEST quality linen, I've been pretty happy with them (as shirts, not cover-ups). I believe they are out of stock at the moment...

I purchased a 'dress' last year from Old Navy (picked up two colors for less than $10 each on sale - see below LOL). They are crinkly cotton with some crochet details...both have a nice thin lining. So while I suppose TECHNICALLY they were dresses, they work great for me as swimsuit coverups. Kinda loose and flowy - not too long, not too short. I have some cute sandals in my beach/pool bag and I'm good to go for anything. I spent practically 3 days straight in them in Rio last year! :)

PSA: As far as Gap goes (and Old Navy and Banana Republic) - I never buy anything full price - they all have sales all the time. When they have a 50% off sale items (often with another coupon code to stack for 10% or 20% more off) - that's when I purchase things. If I see something I might be interested in - I put it in my shopping cart and then 'save for later'. Which is very convenient for when a sale comes around. All 3 stores offer free returns by mail...been using this system for years and years and it's perfect for me.

Edited by CutieKakes

• 3 weeks later...