Do you enjoy packing for a cruise?

bethshebas

I will be on the Valor in one month and I got all excited this morning. I picked out what to wear to make sure everything would go together (mix and match) Rolled it up and made sure it would all fit in my carry-on.

Before the cruise I will try everything on and make sure it's clean and mended, and that I'm not taking too much.

I won't pack for a while but after I do I usually try to take at least one thing out.

It's like a game with me to see how light I can pack and if I can get everything in.

Please share your cruise packing rituals

Please share your cruise packing rituals

Our packing ritual usually involves shoving in a suitcase whatever we can find about an hour prior to leaving for the cruise. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tend to grab and pack the night before the cruise. I keep all documents and e-mail confirmations in a single file beginning the day I book. Stuff that and meds for the week plus a few days in my carry-on right before walking out the door.

Being a minimalist has always worked for me.

pretty close to what we do Tapi, no way we could only do carry on. We use packing cubes recommended by Rick Steves. They are awesome and changed the way we pack. We traveled a month in Europe with 2 backpacks. I don't know if anyone enjoys it, but it is for a good cause, cruising

Edited by coevan
adding context
  • Like 1

I am a bit of a planner so about 6 months out (if we book that far out) I start a folder. I keep all documents, boarding passes, air/hotel reservations, excursion info, anything I buy online for the cabin all in this little folder that I will keep in my carry on. Then a few weeks out I start a check list. I put everything I am taking on the list and as I think of things I add to it. Then a couple days before I start packing and checking off my list. Has worked great so far. DH is responsible for packing his own clothes he wants to bring;)

Guess I'm the odd ball. I love packing for a trip.

2 weeks prior i gather my med kit and something to wipes surfaces down with. Lysol spray.

1 week out ill print out tickets for the trip and all hotel info

2 days prior pack all nonessential items.

Day of..add essentials. Check passports and travel documents 100x. I hate forgetting something.

Its the best part. It gets the excitement going

• Like 4

I do not enjoy packing. I stay half packed all the time because I know I'll be using it soon on my next cruise. I keep my suitcase open on a luggage rack in a spare bedroom and have a table set up next to it where I lay clothes out before I pack them. The table also has my carry-on on it half packed all the time.

OMG! Day of, night before [emoji50] I would have a heart attack. We start months before and I use OneNote to make a grid of items. We have already ordered swimsuits for next August lol [emoji23].

I label each activity for me and hubby, and then either add a picture if I know for sure what item goes there or a description if I still need to purchase.

2 alternate swimsuits and dress outfits in case of wardrobe malfunctions lol

I use packing cubes which are the best ever. One each for daytime looks, swim, dress and pajamas/undies. Makes knowing where something is a lot easier.

I also keep my toiletries and meds pre stocked (restocked after each trip).

I make everyone a booklet of their boarding passes, info about excursions, info about the ship, deck plans, luggage tags and photo page of who’s on the trip as a souvenir. They can throw their passports/BC and flight ticket extras in their too.

I use my book to collect the Fun times and other momentos and it’s already pretty much organized before we get home.

I ❤️ travel planning.

• Thanks 1

A little OCD, but whatever makes you comfortable. My wife has a great attitude, she says if I forget something I'll just buy another one. The only list we have is for stuff like extension cord, power strip, batteries, and electronics. We are sailing 2 weeks in January on the Miracle. I will pack, 3 bathing suites, 10 t-shirts, 2 pairs of slacks, 2 nice shorts, a few golf shirts and a few dress shirts, easy peasy

• Like 1

OMG! Day of, night before [emoji50] I would have a heart attack. We start months before and I use OneNote to make a grid of items. We have already ordered swimsuits for next August lol [emoji23].

I label each activity for me and hubby, and then either add a picture if I know for sure what item goes there or a description if I still need to purchase.

2 alternate swimsuits and dress outfits in case of wardrobe malfunctions lol

I use packing cubes which are the best ever. One each for daytime looks, swim, dress and pajamas/undies. Makes knowing where something is a lot easier.

I also keep my toiletries and meds pre stocked (restocked after each trip).

I make everyone a booklet of their boarding passes, info about excursions, info about the ship, deck plans, luggage tags and photo page of who’s on the trip as a souvenir. They can throw their passports/BC and flight ticket extras in there too.

I use my book to collect the Fun times and other momentos and it’s already pretty much organized before we get home.

I ❤️ travel planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum

I hate getting started packing ...but once I get into it, I love it!

I start about a week out ... although for our 2019 WC I think I'll need a bit more time!

As far as paperwork, I print out/save on phone/whatever, as I go, so I don't need to gather that all together at the last minute ...

How soon I pack depends on the season. If I'm currently wearing the clothes I'll take, then I must wait until a day or two before the trip...after all, I'm WEARING those clothes! If it's winter, and I'm packing summer wear...then I can get everything together a week in advance. Nothing goes INTO the suitcase until the night prior, or it wrinkles!

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - fun! Packing can stress me out, but not nearly as much as it used to. I keep a bag of toiletries packed - before each trip I refill any applicable items. I have a list I keep on my computer that I print out for each cruise. Over the past few years I've really streamlined the list by making notes after each trip of what we took but didn't need and what we took and actually needed/used, especially when it comes to clothes. We are now to the point that we use all we take and take no more than we need, except for meds. I wouldn't want to be stuck at sea and run short on those. If we drive to our embarkation port, we now only need one large suitcase and one carry-on. When we fly we try to get by with one checked and carry the rest so that we are staying w/in weight limits with the checked piece. A couple of months ago this list file became corrupted, and it wouldn't open. OMG! Panic attack! I FINALLY got it to open in plain text so that I just had to reformat it. Whew! No way could I have recreated all of that from memory! I only begin packing a day or two prior and that's everything but the clothes. We shove the selected clothes into the suitcase the morning that we leave. Taking no more than we need also makes it much easier and faster when packing the last day of the cruise to go home. This system works great for us, although I do agree unpacking post cruise is sad. :(