It's been a few years since I've cruised, help!

aknguyen

My family and I are going to the Caribbean on Carnival next summer. It's been a while since my husband and I have cruised and this will be the first time for our 6 year old son. What do people wear these days? Has it changed all that much? Thanks!

In general, formal nights have gone by the wayside. You are only expected to meet the minimum code of MDR every night, even on Dress Your Best/Gala/whatever it's called nights. I don't know Carnival's wording but it's: collared shirt (for men), no shorts, no raggedy jeans, "smart casual" for HAL. For the rest of the ship and for the rest of the day, the only thing required is to wear something over your swimwear when you come inside!

As a couple who flies with carry-on only, we appreciate not having to bring the tux. But we dress smartly (in travel-friendly fabrics) all the while.

Someone who sails on Carnival can fill in their specific details, and will do so quickly.

My family and I are going to the Caribbean on Carnival next summer. It's been a while since my husband and I have cruised and this will be the first time for our 6 year old son. What do people wear these days? Has it changed all that much? Thanks!

Carnival now calls their what were formal nights Elegant Nights ... no special dress is required ... just what you'd normally wear to the MDR any other night.

The MDR is way more causal in the dining room ALL nights ... no need to wear a coat for dinner unless you wish.

Would my husband and son be dressed up enough for Elegant Night in khakis, a button down shirt, and tie? Or would slacks be better?

Also, would my son be ok in khaki type shorts and a t-shirt in the MDR on other nights? He has several shirts that are t-shirt fabric and style but don't have pictures or words on them...stripes or other pattern. He does have some polo-type shirts if that's better.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, aknguyen said:

Would my husband and son be dressed up enough for Elegant Night in khakis, a button down shirt, and tie? Or would slacks be better?

Also, would my son be ok in khaki type shorts and a t-shirt in the MDR on other nights? He has several shirts that are t-shirt fabric and style but don't have pictures or words on them...stripes or other pattern. He does have some polo-type shirts if that's better.

This sounds fine for elegant night. The do not need dress slacks. Your son (an DH is he chooses) can  wear khaki shorts in regular night. "Nice" T shirts or polos would be fine for both 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did a short Carnival cruise in early December and I was surprised at how many people got really dressy on Elegant Night. Mostly cocktail length dresses, but quite glitzy. I was glad I had packed a fancier dress, as based on what I had read on these boards I almost didn't. Still, there were plenty of people who were dressed more casually but still nice and neat for the dining room. You will be fine with what you have described.