Costa did allow removal of service charge

bts378

on the costa atlantica april 24 you could remove the service charge by producing your passport before 2200 hours on the last night of the cruise. i was with a couple when they did have them removed from their account

i am not worried about it one way or the other but when it is pointed out in another thread that you could not remove it i thought i would point out that was incorrect info thank you very much!

It can only be removed by Ameriacan and I beleive Canadian passengers. Europenas can not have itr removed and Australians have to pay it up front with their cruise price.

Ron

• Thanks 1

Being a Canadian and since I will cruise on Costa in September this information is very good. On other threads the tipping is now being called a Service Charge. So should we prefer to tip our cabin and dinning room staff with EURO's, we will be able to do this providing we advised the Guest Services ahead of time. We intend to put down a cash deposit ( EURO) for our cabin. This is for drinks and shopping. Not the Service Charge (aka tipping)

Julie

Edited by C'estsibon

Being a Canadian and since I will cruise on Costa in September this information is very good. On other threads the tipping is now being called a Service Charge. So should we prefer to tip our cabin and dinning room staff with EURO's' date=' we will be able to do this providing we advised the Guest Services ahead of time. We intend to put down a cash deposit ( EURO) for our cabin. This is for drinks and shopping. Not the Service Charge (aka tipping)

Julie[/quote']

i don't know what you are hoping to accomplish by tipping in cash. it has been discussed at length that when you remove the tip, then tip in cash, the money must be turned into the pool. if you leave the tip in place, and wish to tip extra the individuals get to keep the extra.

btw - i believe on my last costa cruise (9/2009) it was called a service charge.

Edited by CtheW0rld

The bill on my recent Atlantica cruise lists it as a service charge. In 16 cruises I have never withheld any tip/service charge. To do so would be unconscionable. If you have a problem with giving the tip, speak with the individual who is responsiple. Don't scurry off the ship like a cheap rat...especially waiting until the 11th hour to avoid your responsibility.

• Like 2

I've never questioned the automatic service charge because I know it gets spread around the crew and it's an add-on over and above their normal wages. Unless I find myself with a bad cabin attendant or waiter (happened once), I also slip each €20 or so at some point during the cruise and hope they keep it for themselves. Same goes for the girl who does the massages, an exceptional bar attendant, etc.

Australian Government law requires that air and travel prices are quoted as a single price inclusive of all compulsory charges.

So this stops the nonsense of travel operators quoting a price and then saying + Govt fees and charges etc . So cruise prices quoted and sold in Australia must include port charges, any fuel levies, and any compulsory on board charges (such as tipping daily fees).

Australian Government law requires that air and travel prices are quoted as a single price inclusive of all compulsory charges.

So this stops the nonsense of travel operators quoting a price and then saying + Govt fees and charges etc . So cruise prices quoted and sold in Australia must include port charges, any fuel levies, and any compulsory on board charges (such as tipping daily fees).

i don't know what you are hoping to accomplish by tipping in cash. it has been discussed at length that when you remove the tip, then tip in cash, the money must be turned into the pool. if you leave the tip in place, and wish to tip extra the individuals get to keep the extra.

btw - i believe on my last costa cruise (9/2009) it was called a service charge.

The Costa Luminosa is using the EURO as the dollar on the ship.

Being a Canadian this may amount to about 15 to 16 dollars a day.

That will make it 171.00 CND for the 11 night cruise. I do believe

that this is just over the top.

If this is going to be automatic they, for goodness sake, should include it in the cost of the cruise period. As with your cruise and flight all services and taxes are added on and you get the full cost.

To charge it every day on your account is ridicules. I tip when a tip is due and give gladly. These people work extremely hard and deserve it.

Julie

If this is going to be automatic they' date=' for goodness sake, should include it in the cost of the cruise period. As with your cruise and flight all services and taxes are added on and you get the full cost.

To charge it every day on your account is ridicules. I tip when a tip is due and give gladly. These people work extremely hard and deserve it.

Julie[/quote']

as you say, they do work hard. if you can't afford the service charges, you shouldn't be cruising. perhaps they should be including it (like they do for europeans and aussies, who then complain about the fare being higher) but the do not.

pay up or stay home.

• Like 1

I am a frugal person. But I never removed any auto tip even I know it can be done. Those people work very hard and deserve the money. Some of them might not serve you directly and you might not even notice them. e.g. the guy who contently wiping the railings to make it spotless, the guy running around with heavy bucket filling the ice tea machine. How do you tip them?

I do not want to say removing auto-tip is right or wrong. But I just wish people who doing that have valid reasons, e.g. bad service, instead of just for "saving". :(

Edited by guxu

The service charge is not included in the fares for Europenas..it is still charged to our account...that is just the way it is with cruising..not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things...I know for sure we would be tipping a lot more than that on a 'regular' holiday if we ate out every night.

as you say, they do work hard. if you can't afford the service charges, you shouldn't be cruising. perhaps they should be including it (like they do for europeans and aussies, who then complain about the fare being higher) but the do not.

pay up or stay home.

This is a forum of ideas and concerns. No one should shoot down a cruise mate for what they believe in or for voicing their opinions.

I have been cruising for over 25 years and have never and I say it again never not tippped whether automatic or individual. It is part of the cost and you account for it at the very beginning.

Shhhhh what else can I say

pay up or stay home.

This is a forum of ideas and concerns. No one should shoot down a cruise mate for what they believe in or for voicing their opinions.

I have been cruising for over 25 years and have never and I say it again never not tippped whether automatic or individual. It part of the cost and you account for it at the very beginning.

I have been cruising for over 25 years and have never and I say it again never not tippped whether automatic or individual. It part of the cost and you account for it at the very beginning.

you sure made it sound like you don't approve of tipping' date=' and only tip when you feel like it:

If this is going to be automatic they, for goodness sake, should include it in the cost of the cruise period. As with your cruise and flight all services and taxes are added on and you get the full cost.

Julie

In my books a Gratuity is a small gift, (money), given to somebody such as a waiter as thanks for service given. It is the part that we need to give this in order to supplement their salary that bothers me. And yes I know they need it. But it is like putting the horse before the cart. That is why I would prefer reserving the service charge as they call it, until the day is over and then justify the tip.

And yes, the Head waiters, for each table sections know who has opted out for the automatic tipping and who has not. They have a list. This was stated to me on my last cruise. The reason being was that the 4 or us showed up every night for dinner. The other 4 passengers we hardly saw at all. We did have a nice chat with our head waiter and gave him more. But this was because it was worth it for the excellent service and friendship he gave us. Not because it was compulsory.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Enjoy your evening.

Julie

In my books a Gratuity is a small gift' date=' (money), given to somebody such as a waiter as thanks for service given. It is the part that we need to give this in order to supplement their salary that bothers me. And yes I know they need it. But it is like putting the horse before the cart. That is why I would prefer reserving the service charge as they call it, until the day is over and then justify the tip.

And yes, the Head waiters, for each table sections know who has opted out for the automatic tipping and who has not. They have a list. This was stated to me on my last cruise. The reason being was that the 4 or us showed up every night for dinner. The other 4 passengers we hardly saw at all. We did have a nice chat with our head waiter and gave him more. But this was because it was worth it for the excellent service and friendship he gave us. Not because it was compulsory.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Enjoy your evening.

Julie[/quote']

You know before even stepping onto the gangway what the scenario is regarding tips/service charge or whatever euphemism is used. I can understand a novice cruiser who is uninitiated, and thus inexperienced, in the formalities of the onboard tipping phenomena to be unprepared for the realities of this aspect of cruising.

I spent this past winter in New Zealand where tipping is included in the price of all restaurant meals. It's a novel idea to which I subscribe and endorse completely. Perhaps the cruise lines should stop dancing arround this issue and amalgamate the tips into the total cost of the cruise.

You know before even stepping onto the gangway what the scenario is regarding tips/service charge or whatever euphemism is used. I can understand a novice cruiser who is uninitiated, and thus inexperienced, in the formalities of the onboard tipping phenomena to be unprepared for the realities of this aspect of cruising.

I spent this past winter in New Zealand where tipping is included in the price of all restaurant meals. It's a novel idea to which I subscribe and endorse completely. Perhaps the cruise lines should stop dancing arround this issue and amalgamate the tips into the total cost of the cruise.

Now that would make more sense. All staff would get a higher salary to start with. I totally agree with this approach.

Then we can put this topic of conversation to rest.

Now that would make more sense. All staff would get a higher salary to start with. I totally agree with this approach.

Then we can put this topic of conversation to rest.

it wouldn't make any difference. then people would complain that it cost more.

it wouldn't make any difference. then people would complain that it cost more.

So true. But then these are the challenges we meet every day.

I intend to enjoy my cruise. I am not there to find fault with anything.

Since I love pasta, I know the food will be good.

Julie

I love how the person simply clears up that Yes its possible for some to have the charge removed and so many give the same story "oh it shouldn't be done" the staff works so hard for the money blah blah blah

This question gets asked by newbies every few weeks myself included at one point, and the answers given are usually NO or WHY WOULD YOU when the fact is Americans CAN have them removed/lowered. My question to the Euro/Aussie people who say it can't be. Have you tried? I'm not saying you have to do it, just wondering have you even asked the person behind the desk if its possible to have them removed/lowered while onboard before telling someone else NO. I'd bet 99% don't even ask just go by what the printed documents say.

I have just received an email for the Costa line about the Gratuities and yes they still call it that. For cruises to Europe that are over 8 days the suggested amount is 5.00 Euro per day per adult. This is very reasonable.

We are going on the Costa Luminosa in September to Portugal, Spain the Canary Island and a few other ports. This amount seems to be less that the suggested amount for Caribbean cruises. I wonder why.

I love how the person simply clears up that Yes its possible for some to have the charge removed and so many give the same story "oh it shouldn't be done" the staff works so hard for the money blah blah blah

This question gets asked by newbies every few weeks myself included at one point, and the answers given are usually NO or WHY WOULD YOU when the fact is Americans CAN have them removed/lowered. My question to the Euro/Aussie people who say it can't be. Have you tried? I'm not saying you have to do it, just wondering have you even asked the person behind the desk if its possible to have them removed/lowered while onboard before telling someone else NO. I'd bet 99% don't even ask just go by what the printed documents say.

We have been on Celebrity and Princess. Both times tips/gratuities were included in the price we pay up front, so why would we bother removing it while on board. We wouldn't get a refund, its just the price we pay, and even though in Australia the wages are higher and we tip when we feel the service is worth it, we know that when going on a cruise thats what the deal is, like it or not. Personally if it wasn't included, I would only tip for exceptional service, which is what I do anyway. I would have no hesitation removing gratuities if it was warranted. I have worked in the service industry and know all too well what low wages are and how glad I am to get a tip, but I would only expect it if I give the service people want. I have seen plenty of lazy people, in hotels and restaurants, and they certainly do not deserve a tip. Fair days pay for fair days work is what I say, I know how tey cut corners.