flying to port with a scooter help please

flcraigs5

Posted Today, 07:07 AM

Hello, Need some input from those that have traveled with their scooter We are taking a transatlantic cruise the end of September so we will be flying to NY on United and then from NY to Copenhagen we will be on SAS. My father is concerned about damage to his scooter if he brings it on the plane. He is worried that they will just toss it in the compartment and it will come out a mess. His scooter is the Lexus Lite and folds down like a stroller and weighs 54 lbs. He has 2 lithium batteries for it. the scooter website says it can be taken on as carry on luggage but I don't see the airlines allowing this LOL. Would love to hear from those that fly with their scooters on how they are handled.

THANKS clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

You have choices on how you handle the scooter. You can take the scooter to the door of the plane and gate check it there. The scooter will be brought up to the plane jetway when you arrive in New York. You should expect to be last off the plane if you cannot stand long enough to wait for the scooter to be brought up. There is a remote possibility you will be able to put the scooter in a cabinet on the plane IF it is small enough to fit and someone else did not arrive at the gate before you did as it is first come first serve. Note that not all planes have a closet. Your second choice is to check the scooter through from the original check-in point all the way to Copenhagen. You then have to use wheelchair assistance to the gate and later to the connection point and to baggage claim where you will pick up the scooter. Using either choice you should carefully check your scooter BEFORE you leave the airport so you can make a damage claim if needed.

I've traveled to Europe (and Asia and Australia) several times without damage to my scooter. I think that is luck and wish you luck as well.

Thank you for the information. I believe I would have him drive it up to the gate otherwise he will be a nervous wreck until he got it back in Copenhagen which in turn would be his daughters bar bill would be extremely costly on the plane LOL

Thank you for the information. I believe I would have him drive it up to the gate otherwise he will be a nervous wreck until he got it back in Copenhagen which in turn would be his daughters bar bill would be extremely costly on the plane LOL

I have driven my Travelscoot right up to the plane numerous times and they carry it down below to store it with the wheelchairs and strollers. When I exit the plane it is brought to the door of the plane for me (the jetway). Never had any problems.

I have heard of some scooters being damaged when they checked them in as luggage so I would avoid that if at all possible.

You do have to remove the battery(ies) and carry them onto the plane in a secure bag. That will help to lessen the weight also. Not sure if 54 pounds is allowed - you better check with the airlines. If the 54 pounds includes the batteries then it might be okay - just not sure of the rules. (My Travelscoot weighs about 30 pounds without the battery.) Good luck and safe travels.:)

What about a Go-Go Traveler 3-wheel scooter? I don't see how it can be lifted down or up to the boarding ramp as it is too heavy and bulky. It can be disassembled, but I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers to know how. Anyone have experience with one of these??

I believe the airlines are referring to the lithium batteries to be carried on board the plane. I have standard gel batteries, which stay with the scooter in the hole. However I have read that the lithium batteries are not allowed in the hole. Think that is something you should verify with the airlines. I have been asked what type of batteries I have many times.

Regardless, if the scooter will fold down small enough to take on board, that would be the best option.

The basic scooters are normally pushed to and from the aircraft. The workers put it in free-wheel and just push. Occasionally, a couple workers will carry it up the stairs by the plane.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

My smartscoot is gate checked like a stroller. When we collapse it we secure it with a bungee cord to prevent damage. We have never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What is "gate checked"? Is that at the jet way or at the counter where you check in your luggage or the gate where you wait just before boarding the plane?

What about a Go-Go Traveler 3-wheel scooter? I don't see how it can be lifted down or up to the boarding ramp as it is too heavy and bulky. It can be disassembled, but I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers to know how. Anyone have experience with one of these??

I’ve taken our Pride scooter on planes many times. It has been scratched but never broken. I would recommend that you check it through and have the airline transport you to the next gate. Really easier, in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Any information here is useless. Individual air lines have their own rules. The plane's captain can require additional requirements. The main concern with scooters are the batteries. On paper, most require the batteries be disconnected.

Any information here is useless. Individual air lines have t own rules. The plane's captain can require additional requirements. The main concern with scooters are the batteries. On paper, most require the batteries be disconnected.

Agree. You must get the scooter pre approved by the airline. They will want the specs. Most but not all airlines allow scooters with lithium batteries under 300 wAtts provided you take the battery in the cabin. We always have the scooter incorporated into our reservation

Do not rely on the website of the airline. You need to call

All us airlines allow the scooter with lithium batteries. Ba does. Klm does

No Asian airlines permit it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband has a Lexus Lite with a lithium battery. He always rides it to the gate, folds it and takes the battery (we only travel with one battery) with him on the plane. You must take the battery with you since it cannot go into the hold. It fits nicely under the seat. The Lexis Lite, even folded, probably would not fit into a closet on the plane. The only issues we have run into have been some scratches on the scooter. The paint you get with the scooter covers it nicely. Before we got the lithium battery we had a captain who wouldn't allow the regular battery in the cabin. And of course they lost it, but did eventually replace it. No issues with the lithium battery.

If you have stops between home and Copenhagen, they will bring the scooter to the gate so that you can use it to go to your next flight.

The only real issue we have had traveling with a scooter has been in Italy. We have always had to check the scooter in with our luggage and carry the battery to the plane. The scooter is checked through to your final destination. It's an annoyance, especially when you have additional stops. If you were able to gate check it at another airport, they will still insist that you pick it up at the baggage area. But you're going to Copenhagen so it shouldn't be an issue.

Instead of carrying two batteries we carry the charger with us with a converter plug. We plug it in when we have lunch and haven't had an issue. We have traveled all over the world with our scooter.

Enjoy your trip!

Kate

I HAVE A TRAVEL SCOOT AND DRIVE IT RIGHT UP TO THE GATEWAY WHERE THEY TAKE IT AND STOW IT UNDER THE CABIN. tHEY HAVE NEVER ASKED ME TO REMOVE THE LITHIUM BATTERY. WHEN DEPLANING, I USUALLY HAVE TO WAIT A BIT TILL THEY BRING IT UP FROM THE HOLD, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND. BECAUSE I FOUND THE SEAT UNCOMFORTABLE, I BROUGHT IT TO A SHP'S STORE AND HAD IT PADDED AND PUT A SPECIAL FABRIC ON IT.I HAVE THE ORIGINAL SCOOT THAT DOESN'T HAVE THE REVERSE DRIVE. SO FAR, THAT HASN'T BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME.

DH has traveled with a larger scooter. The airlines have elevators (think freight elevator) that they can use to take the scooter from the jetway to the tarmac to be loaded into the plane. Reverse on arrival.

I have traveled to New Zealand,Russia, Amsterdam and many other places on the airlines. The employees take the scooter from the gate and I see it again at my final destination. I take the key and put the scooter in neutral. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure about flying to the port with a scooter, but I have a buddy whose mother-in-law flies to the port on her broom........sorry, I couldn't help it.

I haven't personally used a scooter when flying, but seeing what they manage to do to my checked luggage, I would op for the ride it to the plane option. That would avoid a lot of extra handling.

DH has traveled with a larger scooter. The airlines have elevators (think freight elevator) that they can use to take the scooter from the jetway to the tarmac to be loaded into the plane. Reverse on arrival.

When you say a larger scooter, which one do you mean? I need to get a larger scooter that is suitable for travel. Thanks for any help you can give.

When you say a larger scooter, which one do you mean? I need to get a larger scooter that is suitable for travel. Thanks for any help you can give.

DH has a Pride Victory 10 3 wheel, which is a full sized scooter and rated for up to 400 pounds. This is not what is considered a "travel" scooter, but we have traveled with it.

DH has a Pride Victory 10 3 wheel, which is a full sized scooter and rated for up to 400 pounds. This is not what is considered a "travel" scooter, but we have traveled with it.

Hi Schoifmom. Thank you for this info! Can you tell me any more about travelling with this scooter? Do airlines allow it? Does he drive it right up to the plane and then they check it? What about the cruise lines...any issues with it there? Sorry for the 3rd degree! I didnt know one could travel with a regular sized scooter and this is such good news to me! I really do appreciate any advice you care to share. Thanks again.

Hi Schoifmom. Thank you for this info! Can you tell me any more about travelling with this scooter? Do airlines allow it? Does he drive it right up to the plane and then they check it? What about the cruise lines...any issues with it there? Sorry for the 3rd degree! I didnt know one could travel with a regular sized scooter and this is such good news to me! I really do appreciate any advice you care to share. Thanks again.

No problem. We alerted the airline prior to flying. Their primary concern is the type of battery, and they will provide information on to handle your particular battery. DH rode the scooter down the jetbridge right to the door of the plane. They they took it to store in the plane, and reverse on arrival. We always fly Southwest and they are extremely accommodating and helpful.