Can't decide - wheelchair or scooter?

Ginnyfyr

Morning everyone! I've recently torn my meniscus and will be needing some help to get around on our NCL Getaway cruising (leaving 3 weeks today!!!) I was leaning toward renting a scooter to use on the ship as it sounds like that's the easiest way to get around, but then I was reading that I might be more likely to be able get around in ports with a wheelchair as they're easier to flatten down to put in a trunk if we were to hail a taxi or do a van tour. So, now I'm confused as to what's better to rent! These ports are all new to us and I certainly don't want to miss out on all they have to offer. NCL offers one "limited mobility" excursion in Roatan that my husband and I will probably take; I think I could manage that one just with my crutches. We will likely stay on board in Belize since that's a tendered port. Our other ports are Costa Maya and Cozumel. I've read there are private tours in Cozumel to see some of the ruins and I believe I would need a wheelchair for that. What would ya'll suggest? Wheelchair or scooter? Is it really that difficult to use a chair on board? Or maybe I should just rent the scooter and then see if any of these private companies would have a wheelchair to use for a day? So much to consider! TIA!

That is a real dilemma . I have cruised with both the wheelchair and a scooter. A wheelchair may require someone to push you around the ship as your arms may get tired and It is hard to get over the covering at door ways and large areas unless the wheels of the chair are perfectly aligned (or you go backwards over the coverings). I prefer the scooter because it is easier to get around and over those coverings. On upcoming trip, because the private excursions in Cozumel and Rotan do not have vehicle with lifts and can only handle wheelchairs, I will have both a chair so I can get off of the ship for excursions and the scooter to use around the ship.

Hope this help - enjoy.

I do not recall the Getaway having any narrow doorways and wheelchairs are normally wider than scooters. Of course, there are the collapsible wheelchairs that eliminates width issue. Regardless, if it is a problem, ask the rental service to provide you a scooter without arms (they can easily taken off and put back on). I assume you are renting one of the small travel scooters.

I took the arms off my first scooter and the second one I bought without arms. I am too independent, thus I prefer my ability to get around on my own and those scooter arms are a nuisance to me. For someone that needs the arms to raise themselves off thescooter, it would probably be a necessity. My traveling companion also had the small scooter with the arms. She definitely needed them. There was a number of times we ended up with both scooters in a standard cabin. Yes, it was togetherness.

In Cozumel, the person directing taxis will get you one that can accommodate a scooter, assuming that you get one of the small travel scooters. The taxi usually charge an additional $5 for the scooter. There are also a couple accessible taxis, but a long wait for them. The last time we were at the ruins, they had stepping stones and the grounds were not scooter or probably wheelchair friendly. Here is a link to Cozumel docking schedule. https://cozumelinsider.com/CruiseShips Punta Langosta Pier is the cruise downtown dock. If you dock there, you will be in town and can just cross over to the shops in the skywalk; elevators on both sides. However, if you dock at Puerta Maya Pier or the International Pier, I would recommend a taxi into the down town area or any of the sights.

In Roatan, you will dock at the Port of Roatan. I assume the dock has been repaired. In the immediate area (up the hill), there is a strawmarket. We booked a private tour that put both scooters in the back of their vehicle. Do not remember the name. Regardless of what you decide to do, I suggest that you try to fit in a stop at the Cameo Factory. Definitely worth a visit. I think it was Bodden Tours. Regardless, we found another couple on our cruise Roll Call to joinus, thus we got the four person price.

For Costa Maya on our first trip, we just scooted to the town which is abut 1 ¾ miles from the dock. Might be a bit of a walk for any one with you. On our last trip, I had booked a private tour to the ruins. They agreed to transport our scooters. Unfortunately, Ruth passed away two days before our trip and I ended up canceling the ruins trip because I just did not want to do it without her. The port area is basically a large shopping area.

Havea wonderful cruise,

Betty

I do not recall the Getaway having any narrow doorways and wheelchairs are normally wider than scooters. Of course, there are the collapsible wheelchairs that eliminates width issue. Regardless, if it is a problem, ask the rental service to provide you a scooter without arms (they can easily taken off and put back on). I assume you are renting one of the small travel scooters.

I took the arms off my first scooter and the second one I bought without arms. I am too independent, thus I prefer my ability to get around on my own and those scooter arms are a nuisance to me. For someone that needs the arms to raise themselves off thescooter, it would probably be a necessity. My traveling companion also had the small scooter with the arms. She definitely needed them. There was a number of times we ended up with both scooters in a standard cabin. Yes, it was togetherness.

In Cozumel, the person directing taxis will get you one that can accommodate a scooter, assuming that you get one of the small travel scooters. The taxi usually charge an additional $5 for the scooter. There are also a couple accessible taxis, but a long wait for them. The last time we were at the ruins, they had stepping stones and the grounds were not scooter or probably wheelchair friendly. Here is a link to Cozumel docking schedule. https://cozumelinsider.com/CruiseShips Punta Langosta Pier is the cruise downtown dock. If you dock there, you will be in town and can just cross over to the shops in the skywalk; elevators on both sides. However, if you dock at Puerta Maya Pier or the International Pier, I would recommend a taxi into the down town area or any of the sights.

In Roatan, you will dock at the Port of Roatan. I assume the dock has been repaired. In the immediate area (up the hill), there is a strawmarket. We booked a private tour that put both scooters in the back of their vehicle. Do not remember the name. Regardless of what you decide to do, I suggest that you try to fit in a stop at the Cameo Factory. Definitely worth a visit. I think it was Bodden Tours. Regardless, we found another couple on our cruise Roll Call to joinus, thus we got the four person price.

For Costa Maya on our first trip, we just scooted to the town which is abut 1 ¾ miles from the dock. Might be a bit of a walk for any one with you. On our last trip, I had booked a private tour to the ruins. They agreed to transport our scooters. Unfortunately, Ruth passed away two days before our trip and I ended up canceling the ruins trip because I just did not want to do it without her. The port area is basically a large shopping area.

Havea wonderful cruise,

Betty

Thank you so much for all your insight, Betty! I'm very sorry to hear that Ruth passed away - my condolences to you.

A meniscus takes about a week to heal after surgery. You should be fine in 3 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not even seeing the surgeon again until September 11th so I am not expecting surgery until after we return from our cruise :(