Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao?

510picker

I am a full-time wheelchair user (manual chair) and will be visiting the ABC islands in November. Any suggestions for things to see or do in a wheelchair?

This is actually our second time visiting these islands, but we barely left the port areas last time. I'm thinking we may just rent a taxi see if we can take a tour for a couple of hours, but would still love to hear from others who have been and if there are suggestions.Thanks!

Aruba: A few years ago, we enjoyed a trip to the Ostrich Farm. It is not too far from the Natural Bridge and some other sights. We found the taxis to be reasonable in Aruba, however we waited until the mob was gone.

Both Aruba and Bonaire have a Donkey Sanctuary if that would be of interest. We confiscated pears and apples and snuck them off the ship for the donkeys. I've only been to the one in Aruba. NOTE: If you have not ever fed a donkey or horse by hand, hold your hand open, flat, and just lay the fruit on you open hand.

I have not ever used Accessible Caribbean Vacation. They might have something of interest to you or ideas that would help. http://www.accessiblecaribbeanvacations.com/

Have a wonderful cruise, Betty

My mother is also a full time wheelchair user.

In Aruba, we went to the taxi stand and advised on what we wanted (a tour of no more than 2-2.5 hours in length, must have a car or low minivan to be able to transfer to, wanted to see the highlights of the island and were willing to spend about $100 total for the 3 of us) and we got a really great guy.

The minivan was a bit tall so my mother transferred into the front seat and then stayed in the vehicle for the tour because she was unsure about having to transfer multiple times. My dad and I got out at various stops.

The taxi driver took us all over the island and even stopped at a hotel where they had an accessible washroom if we needed it.

He spoke for basically the entire 2.5 hours and told us everything we could ever want to know about Aruba. :D

It was a great experience.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use a walker and have been to all 3 islands. I stayed near the port in Aruba since I had been there before and didn't like it. But in Curacao I went to the ostrich farm and the aloe farm and had no trouble getting around. I took a bus tour in Bonaire and walked around the town where we docked. Again no problem.