NO SERVICE DOGS on cruise to Panama Canal

MrPAWS

We have traveled extensively and cruised a dozen times - all with our service dog. Recently we were making the arrangements to go to the Panama Canal. It became impossible because of the ports we were stopping at - EVEN if we left the dog on the boat. Pay Attention: It is not worth it. We are stopping at: Jamaica, Cartagena, Panama City, Limon Costa Rica, etc... but the issue here is his health. There is a screw worm infestation that is a flesh eating virus transmitted by flies. There is no cure and no vaccination. These are dangerous places for Shadow. AND he may not be let back into the US. They can confiscate the dog AND euthanize him. Not Worth It. And we NEVER leave our dog. Our solution became to leave him home with a friend he knows and likes. In the security and comfort of his own home he should be fine - will let you know

Edited by MrPAWS
add important info

I had no problems taking my service dog on a Panama Canal cruise. There were two other dogs on board - one was part of the magician’s act.

A few ports like Jamaica are impossible to visit with almost any dog, but others like Costa Rica are just a matter of obtaining the right forms issued by a USDA-Certified veterinarian who will examine the dog.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 19 day cruise onboard the Island Princess with my Service Dog "Horton", it was one of my most favorite cruises ever.

Every port we visited was welcoming to Horton and only required the necessary paperwork to prove that he is on Heartguard and Nexguard and has had the necessary immunizations.

At no time did Princess NOT ALLOW me to take Horton into each and every port. I was very careful not to take him where I thought he would be subjected to strays or danger of any kind.

Once, on a cruise to Brazil we were warned that they were having an infestation of disease-born fleas on their beaches and I decided that I wasn't going to subject either me or Horton to this. So, we stayed onboard at this port.

There are flying and crawling insects everywhere we may travel. We have to be diligent and careful not to subject our dogs to them.......This said, Horton goes where I go.......we are NEVER separated.

You have to use your own good sense and follow what you feel is best while traveling with your dog.