3rd person in a cabin ?

Cozzette3

We may decide to take our 10 year old grandson with us on our 5 night Carnival Dream cruise.

Does he sleep on the couch or do we book a cabin with a bunk ?

I personally would prefer the pull down bunk. It's easier to fold it up and keep the room neat. It's plenty big for a ten year old. I slept on one during my first cruise. It was very comfy. And I'm bigger than a 10 yo.

We may decide to take our 10 year old grandson with us on our 5 night Carnival Dream cruise.

Does he sleep on the couch or do we book a cabin with a bunk ?

If your cabin isn't designated as a three-person cabin, Carnival will insist you move.

Not all sofas can be made into beds.

If it is a three person cabin, the sofa beds are ok. I slept on one for a week without any complaints.

It must be a cabin with a stated capacity of more than two. Whether this is a pullman, or an opening sofa bed doesn't matter, but the cabin must accommodate three. And know that when it gets close to sailing time, and the cruise is in a period of high family sailing (school vacations, etc), there may be a hold placed on accepting 3rd passenger bookings added to cabins.

It must be a cabin with a stated capacity of more than two. Whether this is a pullman, or an opening sofa bed doesn't matter, but the cabin must accommodate three. And know that when it gets close to sailing time, and the cruise is in a period of high family sailing (school vacations, etc), there may be a hold placed on accepting 3rd passenger bookings added to cabins.

there are no OPENING sofa beds. As stated above the cabin steward removes the bolsters to make it into a bed at night. Its the same size as a twin bed.

but it doesnt pull open like a regular sofa bed you might have at home.

Our son first cruised when he was 12, and has been on 4 of them since then (3 Carnival and 1 RCI). He always has slept on the sofa. Weather they make it as "bed" or not, he was always comfortable. On the RCI one, that was the first time they did the pull down bed and he hated it! LOL! So he's just done the sofa every time.

Thank you so much for all of the great advice.

Personally, I would prefer the couch as opposed to a pulldown as it takes up less space in the cabin

We are getting a balcony and will be booking soon for 2019

I will make sure we have a room for 3 and make sure that the test of the group does as well

Thank you so much for all of the great advice.

Personally, I would prefer the couch as opposed to a pulldown as it takes up less space in the cabin

We are getting a balcony and will be booking soon for 2019

I will make sure we have a room for 3 and make sure that the test of the group does as well

Is everyone in your group traveling in 3s? Not sure if i understand your last comment correctly. If there are 3 people staying in one cabin, they have to be in a cabin designated for 3 people. If only 2 people are staying in a cabin, they will only be allowed to book a cabin designated for 2 people.

We cruised with our son who was 16 at the time and our cabin actually had a capacity of 4, but there were 3 of us. the steward said, and we agreed, it took up MUCH less space to use the bunk that pulled down from the ceiling. The only space it took up was over the bed. With the couch made up it took up much more floor space.

IMO it is much better to use a pull down bunk rather than the sofa if that is an option.

My son has cruised since 3 or 4 years old and he is 14 now. The sofa bed is quite comfortable and he enjoys it. The bunks are fine too if that is the option. We had a balcony cabin once for 2 teen boys and it was a couch and a pull down. In the last few cruises my son has his own room with cousins or his friends that we take. They cruise very well in an interior cabin for 4.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Is everyone in your group traveling in 3s? Not sure if i understand your last comment correctly. If there are 3 people staying in one cabin, they have to be in a cabin designated for 3 people. If only 2 people are staying in a cabin, they will only be allowed to book a cabin designated for 2 people.
This comment confused me. If a couple wanted to book a larger room or a suite (presumably with a larger capacity, say 3-4 people), are you saying they wouldn't be able to?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This comment confused me. If a couple wanted to book a larger room or a suite (presumably with a larger capacity, say 3-4 people), are you saying they wouldn't be able to?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

There are larger cabins and suites designated for two people.

Carnival will rarely book a three or four person cabin to only two people. It might happen occasionally close to sail date if they are near capacity for lifeboats.

It may have a sofa or it may have a pull down. It may depend on the type of room and ship you are on.

Generally, if the cabin is a 3 person cabin there is only a sofa which converts to a twin bed.....if the cabin accommodates 4, then there is both the sofa/sleeper and a 'pull down' bed from the ceiling above the sofa. If you are 3 pax in a 4 pax capacity cabin you may be bumped. We travel frequently with our son, who is full grown, and he finds the 'pull down' bed to be far more comfortable and larger than the sofa bed....so whenever possible we try to get a 4 person cabin for the upper ceiling bed with the hopes we won't get 'bumped' out.....so far no problems getting bumped and everyone was happy (and more comfortable)! :p