Fro better or worse Hawaiidan is back

Hawaiidan

2017 was a very rough year half of it in a hospital, so I just got the new cruises for 2018 and 19.... and found a perfect 7 day cruise in the south of france Province and Corsica... where I could fly into Lyon hit some Michelin 3 star dinners ( paul bocuse, PIC, ,le Pyramide and Trigoso) not cheap but I get free air from UAL/Lufthansa/Swiss in business so perfect I will post some tid bits on travel tips I learned for Alaska and how to get 60% off Business class international with miles 140 ,000 instead of 339,000 guaranteed any time

So for better or worse I may poke my head in on this fourn:cool:

May 2019 out of Monte Carlo flying into Lyon and TGV to Nice ant taxi 20 miles to ship Riviera...so be warned

I decided on a 7 day cruise so I could see Provence in full spring in May plus I use my own UAL miles fro free business class rt to Lyon... What id truly funny is is costs 100,000 miles to fly rt to NY or Miami on a crummy 737 with crummy seats when for 40,000 more you get rt to europe in a international configured ( you have no ideaal the difference) so why spend the miles for a crummy domestic flight of 5 hours with changes when you could get a 11 hour flight in a bed to Europe !!! on Lufthansa, Swiss UAL or others..... Makes sense;p

Welcome, nice to see that you are back. Hope your health will continue to let you cruise and post on these boards. We need different opinions so these boards can stay healthy. Good luck. :):):)

A bit OT, but we just did Atlanta to LAX on a Delta Airbus A321—what a difference from tired old 737's. Nice legroom, even in standard coach, seats that seemed wider and more comfortable than the 737, and a very good AV system, with good-sized seatback screens.

jusr wait till you get to fly a A340 or A 380 in business, on Lufthansa A 340 on Swiss not so good.

First class on American was the worst flight any time any where they ran out of food, had to stuff peanut s in your ears, av din not work, cabin crew laughter at the suffering like followers of Marquis de sade and for a grand finish they lost our bags... it was a no connection flight....

I hear people in hell are somewhat grateful that at least they are not on an American airlines plane.

.... where I could fly into Lyon hit some Michelin 3 star dinners ( paul bocuse, PIC, ,le Pyramide and Trigoso) not cheap ...

RIP to Paul with his Bresse Chicken; le Pyramide was old school 35 years ago, is it still run by the same family? I assume you mean Troigros in Roanne? I’m amazed how many of the French restaurants of the 70’s, 80’s and earlier like Lameloise are still Michelin faves. What/where is PIC?

Welcome back Dan..

Agree with your strategy. Just going to hit 3mm on UA. Heading back home tomorrow from Sydney on UA using a rare saver award 80K miles. Got this one when UA opened it new service to IAH. That is another secret, what when UA adds new service. The first flights are usually open for savers.

Agree on your Swiss comment. But their A330 planes in business are comfortable, especially if you can get a "throne" seat - no neighbor.

jusr wait till you get to fly a A340 or A 380 in business, on Lufthansa A 340 on Swiss not so good.

IME, just about any major Asian carrier (Cathay, Japan, ANA, Singapore, etc, etc) or Middle Eastern airline (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) puts Lufthansa to shame.

One of the most uncomfortable business flights I ever flew was on LH A380 where my foot space was essentially shared by my DW. It was uncomfortable enough but had it been a stranger it would have been more than that. The service was just barely acceptable. Turkish business class put them to shame in EVERY respect, IMO.

What/where is PIC?

According to Wikipedia:

"Maison Pic is a top five star hotel and restaurant located in Valence, Drôme, France. Established in 1889 by Eugene and Sophie Pic, the restaurant first earned the prestigious 3 Michelin stars in 1939 under their son André Pic (1893–1984). It lost its third star in 1946, and its second star in 1950. André's son Jacques Pic, who initially did not want to become a chef, decided to train as a chef in order to eventually take over from his father with the goal of regaining the stars. Under Jacques, the restaurant won back its second star in 1959 and its third in 1973. It kept the rating until 1995, three years after Jacques' death, after which it lost its third star. In 1997, Jacques' daughter Anne-Sophie Pic took over the restaurant from her brother Alain Pic, and it regained its third star in 2007."

A bit OT, but we just did Atlanta to LAX on a Delta Airbus A321—what a difference from tired old 737's. Nice legroom, even in standard coach, seats that seemed wider and more comfortable than the 737, and a very good AV system, with good-sized seatback screens.

A real shame people compare the aircrafts themselves vs. comparing the airlines. Interiors on airplanes are specified by the airlines and not Boeing or Airbus. All of the attributes you described are specified by each airline and not the aircraft builder. There are probably more newer 737's than A319, A320 and A321's so you just lucked out on a plane that Delta specified with all the attributes you described.

You forgot to describe how much louder the Airbus aircraft are than the Boeing's. The size of the basic cabin's are approx. the same, it is how the airlines buy their interiors (which are not included in the price of the bare aircraft from the manufacturer) that gives you a better experience.

I hate the AA A333 and older 332s the most, even in BC! If that is the plane AA is using on a route, I fly a different airline.

Next hated are all the horrible A319s multiple European airlines use for domestic service. Business Class is an Economy Class seat with no one in the middle seat!

Dan;

It’s great having you back again. Some one to talk Food with again! I’ve been overwhelmed, since your absence, by those that almost exclusively only eat aboard ship, including lunches. No local authentic fresh cuisine for them, only ship food. Huge welcome back!

Looking forward to flying on the A380 Qantas to Sydney in May. We're in Premium economy in the upper deck. My experience is that Premium Economy on international airlines is not the same as American carriers. Not just extra leg room, but other amenities. We loved Air New Zealand in Premium Economy.

.... where I could fly into Lyon hit some Michelin 3 star dinners ( paul bocuse, PIC, ,le Pyramide and Trigoso) not cheap ...

RIP to Paul with his Bresse Chicken; le Pyramide was old school 35 years ago, is it still run by the same family? I assume you mean Troigros in Roanne? I’m amazed how many of the French restaurants of the 70’s, 80’s and earlier like Lameloise are still Michelin faves. What/where is PIC?

Pic is Michelin *** And in Valance France 60 miles south of Lyon Le pyramide has changed no very new cuisine Pic is the best experience since Joel Roubishon in 1987 Paris...got person al autograph menu on my honey moon

IME, just about any major Asian carrier (Cathay, Japan, ANA, Singapore, etc, etc) or Middle Eastern airline (Emirates, Etihad, Qatar) puts Lufthansa to shame.

One of the most uncomfortable business flights I ever flew was on LH A380 where my foot space was essentially shared by my DW. It was uncomfortable enough but had it been a stranger it would have been more than that. The service was just barely acceptable. Turkish business class put them to shame in EVERY respect, IMO.

Hey, I guess I am easily impressed never flew on any flights/carriers you mention... Know Emeriates is tops... But Paul I loved the top deck 380 on Lufthansa also UAL Polaris in 787 and 757 too.... Swiiss has weird business seats to me and first class on LH sucks... Anyway , I have nothing to complain about 6 ft, great bed, fantastic pillow and duvet, great meals dinner and Bfast... All I ever needed and super quiet.

According to Wikipedia:

"Maison Pic is a top five star hotel and restaurant located in Valence, Drôme, France. Established in 1889 by Eugene and Sophie Pic, the restaurant first earned the prestigious 3 Michelin stars in 1939 under their son André Pic (1893–1984). It lost its third star in 1946, and its second star in 1950. André's son Jacques Pic, who initially did not want to become a chef, decided to train as a chef in order to eventually take over from his father with the goal of regaining the stars. Under Jacques, the restaurant won back its second star in 1959 and its third in 1973. It kept the rating until 1995, three years after Jacques' death, after which it lost its third star. In 1997, Jacques' daughter Anne-Sophie Pic took over the restaurant from her brother Alain Pic, and it regained its third star in 2007."

Thanks much; I don’t remember this restaurant having 3 stars in the 80’s and certainly not under the name of PIC, but it’s the present that counts. I will check it out.

Dan;

It’s great having you back again. Some one to talk Food with again! I’ve been overwhelmed, since your absence, by those that almost exclusively only eat aboard ship, including lunches. No local authentic fresh cuisine for them, only ship food. Huge welcome back!

Thanks for the kind words....Now dont hate me for this, but I am one of those who says, the food on the ship I see no reason to eat ashore plus the health risks it might pose... local cuisine may be authentic but your not immune to the regional problems like the locals.

On a practical side Its meals I paid for , seems less than smart to throw away that money. Plus Id have to get a local currency. I am a 2 meal a day guy B fast and Dinner So days in port I dont feel hungry...

I love Waves burgers,rare... no fries or cheese. I enjoy being on the ship..I could care less where it stops, with few exceptions,thats why I cruise to lounge on the ship. Others want to do a mad dash to some tourist center t get trinkets and eat very touristy food labeled "local"

I plan to arrive early and depart late and on the beach I eat then... and research just what it is and where it is that I want. For my Monte carlo cruise to Rome I plan on 8 days in Lyon and Province. prior at very specific Boushons and Michelin* places..Trigosos,,Alan Ducasse, Le Pyranide ,Robuschon.. I plan of dropping 300to 700 per meal because quality costs...In May it will be peak spring and pretty neat, doing French Ledge roads in Vercour and Maratine Alps near Nice. ( gorges verdon)

One big change for me is I have to liquidate my wine cellar, Schafer, Newton ,Duckhorn,Frogs leap,, Lynch Bages Le Evangeline .... sad, health precludes any drinking, EVER again. Will save on crusing a lot....

I wonder if Delta ordered all of their A321's with the same specs as the one we were on. Hope so. All I know is that it seemed quite spacious compared to the 767 we spent 9+ cramped hours on for the first leg of our journey from Rio to Atlanta. As for noise, I probably wouldn't be a good judge since I wore my noise-cancelling headphones most of the time.