How formal Evening Wear with your Man in Military Blues

angelkisses

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Navy Blues are like the Air Force Formal Mess Dress. She is not refering to AF "Blues" as in Class A's (blue shirt, blue pants that they wear to the office).

OP, you should wear a formal gown to match the Navy Blues as it is formal attire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As a retired Navy officer myself, I would suggest whatever is equivalent to very formal dress for women because Navy Dress Blues are considered equal to 'black tie' or tuxedo for men, i.e., very formal wear.

Wear the most formal thing you have and enjoy! ;) :)

My son will be wearing his dress Blues this May...his wife, myself and his sister are all wearing formal attire. Can't wait to see him all dressed up...I will be one proud mother! :D

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Cruise are a fun experience and a place to enjoy yourself and create memories. If you feel underdressed, just go for more. You'll look great because you'll feel great and you'll both be proud of each other.

Just one thing... Don't be late for dinner! ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As an Army retiree, Army regulations do not permit us to wear our mess dress (whites/blues) on our cruises, however we can wear our miniature medals.

As a retired army officer I believe you are incorrect. The AR states that the Mess Dress is appropriate for any occasion that you would be wearing black tie.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

We haven't cruised in 7 years but he last one we were on my husband wore his Blues for one of the formal nights and I worn a gown. We're cruising again in Sept and pimple dented on him bring his Blues again, we don't haven't anything between a suit and Blues and not sure if a suit is dressy enough for Captians night. We will probably do the same thing again.

While I don't think anyone would get in trouble for doing it, I don't think that regulations allow wearing of uniforms at Captain's dinners on cruise ships for retired personnel, as I don't think this counts as an "occasion of ceremony":

"Army Regulation 670-1 prescribes uniform wear by Army veterans and retirees:

Retirees. Paragraph 30-3 of the above listed regulation gives full details. Army retirees may wear the Army uniform only for the following circumstances:

(1) Personnel performing instructor duties at an educational institution conducting courses of instruction approved by the Armed Forces (such as JROTC).

(2) While attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.

(3) Attending parades on national or state holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve United States military unit is taking part."

Other services' regulations are similar, the USAF states:

"at social or other functions when the invitation has been influenced by the member's active military service"

Note the condition that the invitation is based on service.

Similar conditions apply to veterans.

I certainly honor and respect our service men and women, and appreciate their service, following the proper regulations regarding uniforms is only proper.

Edited by chengkp75

As a retired army officer I believe you are incorrect. The AR states that the Mess Dress is appropriate for any occasion that you would be wearing black tie.

No, actually, sir, you are incorrect. Before I go any further, let me say that, no, I am not guessing on this. I saw the discussion and believed that I had seen this discussion before and that wear of the uniform by retired Army personnel at a non-military function was not authorized. To see if my memory had not failed me, I went online the obtained a PDF version of the current Army regulation (Navy, AF and Marine regs certainly may differ, I don't know) and looked up the answer. What I found is posted below.

per AR 670-1, dated 10 Apr 2015:

23–3. Retired personnel

a. Personnel who will be advanced to a higher grade upon retirement have the option of wearing the insignia of that grade thereafter.

b. Retired personnel on active duty will wear their uniform and insignia in the same manner as prescribed for personnel in the AA of corresponding grade and branch.

c. Retired personnel not on active duty may wear either the uniform reflecting their grade and branch on the date of their retirement, or the uniform prescribed for personnel in the AA of corresponding grade and branch, when appropriate, but may not mix the two uniforms. Personnel will wear the grade as shown on the retired grade of rank line on their retirement order.

d. Retired personnel not on active duty are not authorized to wear the Army uniform when they are instructors or responsible for military discipline at an educational institution, unless the educational institution is conducting courses of instruction approved by the Armed Forces.

e. In addition to the occasions for wear listed above, retired personnel are authorized to wear the uniform only on the following occasions:

(1) While attending military funerals, memorial services, weddings, inaugurals, and other occasions of ceremony.

(2) Attending parades on national or State holidays, or other patriotic parades or ceremonies in which any active or reserve U.S. military unit is taking part. Uniforms for these occasions are restricted to service and dress uniforms; the combat uniform and physical fitness uniforms will not be worn. Wearing the Army uniform at any other time, or for any other purpose than stated above, is prohibited.

As I mentioned above, the regulations for the other military services may differ on this subject.

Tom