New Costa cruiser

Kittyonions

Hello, to all you Costa Cruisers.

Have just booked our first Costa cruise in Middle East for February 2018. We have cruised with P&O, Celebrity and Princess, Any tips you can pass on to us, would be appreciated. Do you suggest a drinks package, and if so, what do they cost. We drink mainly wine with meals, and maybe a beer or gin and tonic before. Is water served in the main restaurant?

Many thanks

Hi

The drinks package is definitely worth while. I would suggest the Piu Gusto. It includes wine by the glass, some beers, lots of cocktails including G+T, soft drinks, juices, speciality coffees, nicer tea, mocktails and water by the glass. The Costa website is playing up and Ii am not sure about the cost. It is way less than the other cruise lines.

We have not cruised with anyone except Costa and I am sure others will also give you info. It is very European with very few English speaking guests. The staff all speak English so ignore some of the dooms dayers on the boards.Yes the Italian staff can be a bit snooty, but we have not had major issues. The bar servers learn your name and favourite tipple very quickly. We are spoilt and eat in the club restaurant so service for meals are probably better. In the past we only did not manage to get a table for two once(in the MDR).

I will have a go at posting menus from our cruise a month ago to give you an idea of what they serve. We sometimes have breakfast in the Buffet. It is usually cold foods. Lots of to die for pastries and breads, cold meats etc. If you want hot food you have to go to the MDR. People moan about the breakfasts but I actually prefer the Continental B/fasts as we regularly have cooked b/fasts at home.

I would suggest that you try and do your own excursions. Some of the Costa ones are expensive like all lines but they often cancel at very short notice because of lack of English speakers. If you are fluent in French,Italian or German it would not be an issue. We aren't.

The ships are spotlessly clean. Having been 15 times:o, I can but say I have never been on a dirty ship. There was the once when someone left their special toys in a Tesco ice cream tub behind and it was very difficult to get the cabin steward to bin them. We have always had our cabin cleaned and a turn down service with clean towels again in the evenings. You'll sometimes get towel animals but not all the time.

Ask away if you want to know anything else.

Alicat

What ship are you on?

The Piu Gusto drinks package costs €28.49 p.p.p.d, everyone in the cabin must also have the drinks package, so either all or none. Well worth the money, one of the cheapest in cruising.

Water is not served in the MDR, it is availabe at certain times in the buffet (tap water).

The Maitre 'D sits mother tonque speakers together, i.e British, New Zealnder, Aussies, Americans etc.

I have not cruised Costa for a long time- but about to book again within the next week or so.

I also advise to go with a drinks package- even if you dont drink a lot of alcholol - it is excellent value.

I dont consider myself a big drinker- mostly soft drinks with lunch, usually a cocktail before dinner or at the pool on sea days, 2 glasses of wine with dinner and a mixed drink after dinner- several coffee's through the day. I found it more than paid for itself.

We sail in hot Asian climates and also found that we both drank more water than usual- this package was great. And if on some days I felt like another cocktail, or wine it was an added bonus.

Thanks for the suggestions of the drinks package, think we will go for that. Do we have to book in advance, or can we do it when we board?

We are on Mediterranea leaving Dubai on 3rd Feb, and unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a roll call for this cruise.

Thanks for the suggestions of the drinks package, think we will go for that. Do we have to book in advance, or can we do it when we board?

We are on Mediterranea leaving Dubai on 3rd Feb, and unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a roll call for this cruise.

For the drinks package the easiest way is to book in advance, it will be noted on your Costa Card (awaiting you in the cabin when you board) so can be uitilised :o immediately. Can be booked once onboard, same price as when booking before the cruise.

If you can't find a roll call - why not start one?

Hello, to all you Costa Cruisers.

Have just booked our first Costa cruise in Middle East for February 2018. We have cruised with P&O, Celebrity and Princess, Any tips you can pass on to us, would be appreciated. Do you suggest a drinks package, and if so, what do they cost. We drink mainly wine with meals, and maybe a beer or gin and tonic before. Is water served in the main restaurant?

Many thanks

Hello Kittyonions.

We did the cruise from dubai last March but on the costa neo riviera. we had a fabulous time. I have written a review which included drink prices and meals etc, so a search should yield results if you wish to read it.

We also sailed on the Costa Meditaranea for the first time last september also written about. we had a fab time on her too. Costas drinks packages are the way to go. We usually don't drink a lot of Alcohol but soft drinks, coffees juices and non alco cocktails soon add up, especially in a hot climate and we found it to be excellent value for money..

Costa is a lot different than the british/american cruise lines,so just go with an open mind and i'm sure you'll enjoy it. Happy cruising:)