Tipping porters

Nevada Jen

I've never in my life used a porter. I'm 60 and have travelled all over the world. Never with more than I easily could handle myself.

So, walk me through the process you do when you’ve boarded a cruise ship recently with bags larger than carry-on dimensions.

Unless you had nothing larger than a 22” suitcase it won’t fit through the x-ray machine and it’s going to be handled by someone else.

So, walk me through the process you do when you’ve boarded a cruise ship recently with bags larger than carry-on dimensions.

Unless you had nothing larger than a 22” suitcase it won’t fit through the x-ray machine and it’s going to be handled by someone else.

Sorry. I meant I’d never used a porter in an airport or at a hotel so telling me that I should just tip them as any other porter is not very useful to me.

Especially as I live in a country where service is included in the prices.

Users of CC may primarily be US based, but not all are. To me it seems as if a lot tend to forget that.

So I don't tip the cruise staff when cruising in Scandinavia??? And you don't either? I'm not 'here in the US'. I'm right here. Cruising right here. From Denmark to Norway.

I have no idea what it is in Scandinavia but if I was cruising out of there, I would find out. You're cruising out of Denmark. You know your customs better than any of us. If its your custom to tip, then tip. If not, then don't tip. See how easy that is? It's senseless to overcomplicate this.

So I don't tip the cruise staff when cruising in Scandinavia??? And you don't either? I'm not 'here in the US'. I'm right here. Cruising right here. From Denmark to Norway.

I don't mind tipping as such (I'd prefer a fair salary so they can have bad days without also suffering on payday). It's just VERY confusing and VERY difficult to remember and figure out when and how much.

Taxis? Yes.

Hairdressers? Yes.

Retail staff? No. Or?

Maid? Yes.

Waiters? Yes.

Staff in self-service diners? No idea.

Porters? What's a porter? Does the staff at check-in in an airport count?

Babysitters? No idea.

Doctors? Yes? No? Why not?

Plummer? No idea.

Seamstres? No idea.

Receptionist in hotel? No idea.

It's like learning by heart the past and future form of 100 French verbs. AND remember to use them correctly when trying to speak French.

I'd really like if foreigners visiting my country would pay attention to traffic rules. Basic traffic rules. (HINT: We have bikes. Lots of bikes. With separate bike lanes. And separate rules)

Personally I’d go to the front desk to ask this question. They deal with passengers from all over the world and can help you best.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Taxis? Depends on country, US yes.

Hairdressers? Yes.

Retail staff? No

Maid? Maybe

Waiters? Yes.

Staff in self-service diners? If buffet, and they provide drinks, then yes, otherwise no

Porters? What's a porter? Does the staff at check-in in an airport count? No, but if you use the services of someone to bring your bags from the curb to the counter, yes

Babysitters? Yes

Doctors? No.

Plummer? No.

Seamstres? Maybe

Receptionist in hotel? No

Changed answers in red.

Around the world, I tip hotel baggage people the equivilent of $1 per bag delivered to my room or from my room to taxi. If another porter helps load them in the taxi, I might tip them $1 - $2 (total, not per bag).

Interesting that there are other service staff that didn't make the list:

Flight attendants

TSA staff

Boarding gate staff

Immigration staff

Restroom staff

Bank tellers

Railroad conductors

Police

Laundry and drycleaners staff

Cruise ship staff such as pool safety personnel, tender staff, entertainers, maitre d', front desk (customer service) staff, Lido buffet staff, pizza bakers, etc.

Flight attendants

TSA staff

Boarding gate staff

Immigration staff

Restroom staff

Bank tellers

Railroad conductors

Police

Cruise ship staff such as pool safety personnel, tender staff, entertainers, maitre d', front desk (customer service) staff, Lido buffet staff, pizza bakers, etc.

That’s exactly why you as a non-tipper have difficulties. I wouldn't know whom of the above to tip.

I know if you tried to tip police, security, or immigration here you’d end up in jail.

Flight attendants

TSA staff

Boarding gate staff

Immigration staff

Restroom staff

Bank tellers

Railroad conductors

Police

WHAT< you don't tip police?

:D

That’s exactly why you as a non-tipper have difficulties. I wouldn't know whom of the above to tip.

I know if you tried to tip police, security, or immigration here you’d end up in jail.

He was saying you do NOT tip those on his list.

He was saying you do NOT tip those on his list.

I didn’t realize it was a list of non-tipped people. In fact, one of the only places where you might still tip in Denmark would be public restrooms.

I guess I’ll just leave it to the automatic grat, and leave an extra envelope if I’m very pleased. And just not use the hairdresser or masseuse.

And stay in Europe, just to be on the safe side.

WHAT< you don't tip police?

:D

No. Actually the opposite. They are happy to pass along tips to me in writing in the form of a slip of paper that suggests that I stop at stop signs, etc.:rolleyes:

I didn’t realize it was a list of non-tipped people. In fact, one of the only places where you might still tip in Denmark would be public restrooms.

I guess I’ll just leave it to the automatic grat, and leave an extra envelope if I’m very pleased. And just not use the hairdresser or masseuse.

And stay in Europe, just to be on the safe side.

Yeah, the rest room tipping, or charge is not common in the US. In fact, you will seldom see an attendant to tip.

In the US, the close the restroom when it is cleaned.

This tipping porters thing has me very confused! First time cruiser here, can't you just carry your bags up to the "check in" desk? (Is there a check in desk?) I'm leaving out of Fort Lauderdale on RCI. I never had anyone carry my bags at an airport or hotel, I'm used to doing it myself! Heck these days at airports no one else even touches your bags, you attach your own tags and put your bag on the conveyer yourself. I'm not against tipping but I'm Canadian so I don't just have dollar bills in my pocket, I'd have to get money changed after landing, and I don't quite understand what service I'm paying for.

A big advantage of porters happens when you return from your cruise. We usually cruise out of Port Canaveral. The porter loads all your luggage on a rolling cart and they seem to have special lines to get through customs. Last time people who arrived when we did to baggage claim without a porter were still standing in a long serpentine line as we walked out of the terminal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would first like to state that I have worked over 20 years in the tip based service industry. Sometimes I have to scratch my head at some of the jobs that suggest tipping to happen.

If the suggested amount to tip is $2-$5 a bag, that $5000-$12,500 in tips for a cruise that has 2,500 guest (with only 1 bag per person). Even with 20 porters working, that a lot of tip money for a person.

I do tip, but usually a few bucks for the few minutes of work they do.

Maybe I need to find a porter position.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Plus, that is off of one smaller cruise ship in port. Times that by the number of ships leaving that day. If only four groups tipped $5 each, that’s $20 an hour. I am sure they handle more than four groups and loading for about 4 hours during check in arrival time.

I say this as someone who has been a server as a second job for 20 years. I can personally take care of a table and serve customers for an hour plus of time and then see 15-20% for a tip...some times less, some times more. I just don’t get taking someone’s suitcases and expecting $10+ for 5 minutes of work. To me, I would think tons of small tips at a huge quantity is the pay off. You will make a good amount of money...kinda like cocktail waitressing. Dollar tips all night add up when you serve a few hundred beers.