Whale Watching in Juneau

Donna_In_India

Can anyone recommend a good company for whale watching in Juneau? Forget Harv and Marv since it will cost $890 for 3 of us! Also have been with Orca Enterprises twice many years ago and looks like they've slipped a bit. So other than those two companies?

I have not been to Alaska yet but I have booked a private whale watch cruise for June 2018 with Rum Runners Charters. They have a couple different price options and will book whatever time works for your schedule. I am looking forward to it and hoping for the best!

What about booking through your cruiseline?

Why is Harv and Marv so much money for you, for 3 people? We booked them for our cruise in July and it's $549 for 3 of us?

I'd never book through the cruiseline.

Harv and Marv require you to book a PRIVATE boat if you have a child under 13. Yeah, no thanks.

Gastineau Guiding have the best boats IMO - small but stable, open areas front & back, huge opening windows throughout so every seat has good photo ops. Seats 14, so minimal fighting for outdoor space among those who want it.

Pricing really doesn't seem to vary much among any of the companies for a 3 hour tour, it's more the vessel that changes (i.e. most cruiseline excursions are on relatively huge craft) - were you trying to book a completely private tour to get that very inflated number from H&M? if so, you can expect to pay about the same to anyone for a 6-pack, and more for a larger boat. Since they could sell as many seats as they are legally allowed for over $150 each, anything under $900 for even the smallest whole-boat rental is discounted...

I have not been to Alaska yet but I have booked a private whale watch cruise for June 2018 with Rum Runners Charters. They have a couple different price options and will book whatever time works for your schedule. I am looking forward to it and hoping for the best!

Thanks, will check them out.

They mentioned they have a sister company called Alaska Galore that doesn't have the child policy, but looks like it may be all bigger sized boats. Alaska Galore Tours: www.alaskagalore.com

Yes, they are a little bigger than the Harv n Marv boats. They were the one that rescued us when Harv n Marv couldn't get us back to the dock safely when seas got rough.

Gastineau Guiding have the best boats IMO - small but stable, open areas front & back, huge opening windows throughout so every seat has good photo ops. Seats 14, so minimal fighting for outdoor space among those who want it.

Pricing really doesn't seem to vary much among any of the companies for a 3 hour tour, it's more the vessel that changes (i.e. most cruiseline excursions are on relatively huge craft) - were you trying to book a completely private tour to get that very inflated number from H&M? if so, you can expect to pay about the same to anyone for a 6-pack, and more for a larger boat. Since they could sell as many seats as they are legally allowed for over $150 each, anything under $900 for even the smallest whole-boat rental is discounted...

H&M FORCES you to take a private excursion if you have a child under 13.

For that reason I will not book with H&M or any of their affiliates, relatives, whatever.

Checking the Gastineau site, you can ONLY book them through the cruise ship shore excursions.

When a ship's in town that does seem to be the case - but the pricing, even through the cruiseline, is still good value for the boat size (and the photographer to help with your picture settings can be invaluable). A 'whale & glacier photosafari' was IIRC what the Gastineau excursion was listed under - and did confirm the boat size as 14pax when we booked via Princess.

When a ship's in town that does seem to be the case - but the pricing, even through the cruiseline, is still good value for the boat size (and the photographer to help with your picture settings can be invaluable). A 'whale & glacier photosafari' was IIRC what the Gastineau excursion was listed under - and did confirm the boat size as 14pax when we booked via Princess.

Thanks for this! I was leaning towards another company but just saw that our cruise line is offering this. It's a small group - 14 pax as you mentioned (otherwise I'd never book through the cruise line) and I like that you get to spend time and hike out for photos of the glacier. We have a short time in Juneau so looks like this is a winner!

Can anyone recommend a good company for whale watching in Juneau? Forget Harv and Marv since it will cost $890 for 3 of us! Also have been with Orca Enterprises twice many years ago and looks like they've slipped a bit. So other than those two companies?

In 2016 we spent a wonderful morning with Cpt. Alan, Cpt. Jack’s son-in-law. Just the two of us on the boat with him, though he can accommodate up to 8 I believe. I am a photographer, Alan is a photographer, he knows where to be to get good angles on the shots of breaching whales etc. It was great to work with a real person doing what he loves, not just a hired-on seasonal employee.

My wife and I wholeheartedly agree with everything martincath has said about Gastineau. They have three tours available through Princess: JNU-700, the photo safari mentioned above with photo instruction as desired. JNU-705, essentially the photo safari without the photo instruction, on a slightly larger boat (20 pax, but those boats have a forward and aft viewing area, where the 14 pax boats only have a forward area, so the "area per capita" is comparable). JNU-670, a "citizen science" tour, where you'll likely do a little bit of research on your way out to or back from the whale area. We've done JNU-700 several times, and loved it each time. We did JNU-670 last time (it's a little less expensive than 700 or 705), and would probably do 700 in the future (I'd rather get right to the whales).

The glacier hike with 700 (and I presume with 705) is neat, once or maybe twice. It is, however, actually optional, so if your tour is whales then hike (some operate in reverse order), you're free to depart on your own after the whale portion. We actually made prior pre-arrangements to do a DOUBLE 670 on our last cruise (we like whales and photography...). We had to wait until we were out on the water to get confirmation that there was room for us on the second tour, but we "left" our original tour and joined a second tour right at the marina. In the end, it was still "booked through the cruise line" via paper tickets for the second tour.

We thoroughly enjoyed our Whale watching/Mendenhall Glacier excursion with Juneau Whale Watch

That's who we were planning to go with but I like that the Gastinaeu excursion since you hike out by the glacier. Will be my daughter's first time in Alaska so want to maximize the experiences. :)

.......JNU-700, the photo safari mentioned above with photo instruction as desired. ..

The glacier hike with 700 (and I presume with 705) is neat, once or maybe twice. ..

If I may ask, we are on a Princess Cruise early August. We are 6 adults with a 5 yr old child. Am wondering how strenuous the glacier hike part is, particularly for a 6 yr old. We are already booked on a private tour with Alaska Whale Watch but am wondering whether it is worth paying an extra $100 per person for the small size group experience.

If I may ask, we are on a Princess Cruise early August. We are 6 adults with a 5 yr old child. Am wondering how strenuous the glacier hike part is, particularly for a 6 yr old. We are already booked on a private tour with Alaska Whale Watch but am wondering whether it is worth paying an extra $100 per person for the small size group experience.

I would not consider it strenuous. Most of the times we've done it, we've taken the "Trail of Time" (as seen here: Cruise2014-BGGC). I realize the sign says it's two hours and 3.5 miles, but I think that's if you do the entire outer loop. On this tour, you start at the "*" along Glacier Spur Rd where you'll see a TH and a wheelchair. You go "up", then either go left to head "direct" or go right across Steep Creek. If you cross Steep Creek, it usually goes up the red shortcut, then on to the visitor center. I suspect it's 45 minutes tops. I'd say average adults are fine; it's those who are a little less steady on their feet that end up challenged. Either way, there's an option to stay on the bus for ~30 minutes, then ride up to parking by the visitor center where the group will rejoin you.