New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

We're experienced cruisers going on our first HAL cruise next week in Australia and New Zealand. Couple of questions: (sorry if they've been asked before but I can't scroll back through all the questions):

1. We are Elite status on Princess and Caribbean Tier on P&O, should our previous Carnival Corporation cruises be reflected in our Mariner status on HAL? I know this happens on some lines but not on others.

2. Is the room service menu free or are there charges?

Chrissie, Your status on other lines doesn't transfer over from what I have read on CC.

99% of the room service menu is free. If you want what is being served in the MDR you can call during the first hour of dinner service, otherwise it is the 24 hour room service menu. Burgers are extra charge room service but very good.

Chrissie, Your status on other lines doesn't transfer over from what I have read on CC.

99% of the room service menu is free. If you want what is being served in the MDR you can call during the first hour of dinner service, otherwise it is the 24 hour room service menu. Burgers are extra charge room service but very good.

Thanks very much for that.

We're experienced cruisers going on our first HAL cruise next week in Australia and New Zealand. Couple of questions: (sorry if they've been asked before but I can't scroll back through all the questions):

1. We are Elite status on Princess and Caribbean Tier on P&O, should our previous Carnival Corporation cruises be reflected in our Mariner status on HAL? I know this happens on some lines but not on others.

2. Is the room service menu free or are there charges?

1. If you have sailed on any Carnival Corporation cruise, you will be a HAL one-star Mariner and invited to the Mariner Luncheon near the end of the cruise. At the luncheon, you will receive a commemorative tile.

2. Here is the Room Service Menu with only a few items having a charge:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

The club sandwich is huge and very tasty.

Ice and water dispensers may be found in the Lido market. They are located on both ends of the Market along with hot water, tea, and coffee urns. Please don't refill bottles directly from the dispensers, use a glass to transfer ice to your bottle. I do this at least once a day after breakfast with no problem.

Ok, appreciate the info and I always use glasses to fill the bottle. On RCL, the drink stations on the ships I've been on have people there that hand me what I want so am out of the habit of filling directly. Thanks!

The stewards will keep your ice bucket filled without your having to ask.

But.. but, then I don't need to walk somewhere to get my ice... How the heck else is one supposed to get in some exercise on a cruise?

It's not like they got a gym onboard or anything... At least not one I'll bother using, LOL!!! :D

I LOVE the Room Service Burgers and have NEVER ever paid for them. I've never paid for anything I've ordered off the menu. But then again I tend tyo limit myself to the burgers and Club Sandwich:)

Joanie

The room service menu has changed since you stopped cruising IRL. Dive-In burgers by room service are at a charge. As are a few other items.

The breakfast menu has several surcharge items for those not in a Neptune Suite or above now.

Not everything has a charge but your burger would now.

1. If you have sailed on any Carnival Corporation cruise, you will be a HAL one-star Mariner and invited to the Mariner Luncheon near the end of the cruise. At the luncheon, you will receive a commemorative tile.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Room-Service-and-Breakfast-Card.pdf

That's very helpful, thank you. Looks like a great choice.

Does anyone know the cost of internet access onboard the Veendam?

Thanks in advance

In December it was 1000 min for $250, 500 min for $175, 250 min for $100, 100 min for $50, and 50 min for $25. I think the pay as you go rate was $0.75 per minute

[

Is the Room Service Menu available on all HAL ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

( ... )

Oh, my -- that club sandwich is fantastic! My first cruise ever was HAL last September, and I got a lot of exercise getting from home to the port (via train and taxi), getting onboard the ship and getting settled in, then muster, etc. -- I was exhausted by the time suppertime rolled around. After perusing the room service menu, I decided that it was the best choice out of the list. It was probably the best club sandwich I've ever had in my life. Perfect in every way. Looking forward to having it again at least once this summer on my next cruise.

You can order anything that is on the MDR menu from room service, even if it is not on the room service menu. I order oatmeal for breakfast every morning by just adding it to the order card we leave on the door each evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[

Is the Room Service Menu available on all HAL ships?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All Holland America Line ships.

Hello: I took Carnival Cruises 9 years ago, but did not say anything about it when I booked my HAL cruise for 4 Feb. I was able to find my Carnival member number just now. How can I get credit for this with HAL for the luncheon?

Thank you in advance.

Hello: I took Carnival Cruises 9 years ago, but did not say anything about it when I booked my HAL cruise for 4 Feb. I was able to find my Carnival member number just now. How can I get credit for this with HAL for the luncheon?

Thank you in advance.

The folks at this number should be able to help you:

1‐800‐599‐8256. MARINER SOCIETY. (Questions regarding your Mariner status)

I thought I'd try posting this question here instead of starting a new thread. This will be my first time on HAL with my 5 yr old along. We eat a 95% vegan diet, whole foods plant based. It's harder for her to eat things she isn't used to. When I travel I always make sure to have available avocados (to make avocado sandwich for her), peanut butter and jelly to make a sandwich, red pepper slices, mini carrots, kidney beans, hummus (and other things like fruits that I am sure will be available). She will often want to eat earlier than us, and I'm wondering at what time of day (breakfast? lunch hours? via room service?) these items would be available so that I have them on hand when she announces she is ready to eat. If it will be hard for me to have these items available, I'll try purchasing them in Venice prior to boarding. Thanks!