Why does the Media hate the Cruise Industry?

nealstuber

Such misinformation is not surprising coming from the New York Post. According to https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ :

"The New York Post is a daily tabloid type newspaper from New York City. This source can swing very far to the right, but does occasionally provide a balanced account. Not a very credible source overall. (7/16/2016)"

Based on your quoting of New York Post being right leaning, you statement implies that you don’t agree with it because of that, as if only left leaning sources meet your standards. Honestly, you should be able to recognize that nearly every media and news outlet is biased in one way or another. If my assumption was wrong, then please accept my apology. I spend a lot of time on political sites and am sick and tired of the opposition consistently believing that only their opinion matters and that any opposition is worthy of silencing.

Agree that all media present their own bias. However, the majority of print media have a liberal anti-business bias and thus have more negative articles about any type of business enterprise - including the cruise industry. In addition, regardless of their bias, many reporters are ill-informed about the enterprises that they are writing about and thus their reports are often filled with many inaccuracies.

Agree that all media present their own bias. However, the majority of print media have a liberal anti-business bias and thus have more negative articles about any type of business enterprise - including the cruise industry. In addition, regardless of their bias, many reporters are ill-informed about the enterprises that they are writing about and thus their reports are often filled with many inaccuracies.

Agree 100% but will add that a large majority of digital and televised media has the same left leaning tendencies. Many “news stories”often end up being little more than opinionated editorial pieces written and presented to offer the spin desired.

Edited by A2Mich
spelling error

My pet peeves with the media and cruise ships have to do with two different types of stories. I hate when they say someone fell off the ship and they are searching for them. As most of us know you just don't fall off a cruise ship, you have to be doing something stupid like being drunk or on judges or sadly committing suicide.

The second deals with how they cover Noro attacks. I know the premise of the evening news is "if it bleeds it leads" but why do we never see outbreaks of noro on the news in nursing homes, schools, hospitals. When it presents itself on the cruise ships they have reporters there finding people who will give the worst possible indication of what happened. Keep in mind that according to the CDC about 30 million or so Americans get Noro every year and about 4500 of them are on cruise ships.

In my work career I had to deal with the press under some tough situations, not the most accurate of people either.

As far as why we don’t see breaking stories of schools, etc, is that in many cases, people are coming and going regularly. Students go home for the day, patients go home, new ones are admitted, and the staff rotates on and off as well, so people will disperse, and though some may get ill, they may not be able to correlate it back to where it happened. On a ship, the same passengers and crew are there for days, or a week or longer with no changes. The same people have all been there for the same amount of time, and is easy to count the number of affected, and therefore easier to blame the source of infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My pet peeves with the media and cruise ships have to do with two different types of stories. I hate when they say someone fell off the ship and they are searching for them. As most of us know you just don't fall off a cruise ship, you have to be doing something stupid like being drunk or on judges or sadly committing suicide.

Have you seen the latest TurboTax TV commercial? In it a man is describing how he avoided a car hitting him and falls backward off a cruise ship.https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wFgL/turbotax-cruise

Not sure why this is something to use as a joke. It just makes gullible people think that it is easy to fall off a cruise ship by not paying attention. Really bad idea to make light of this.

I don't think the media hates the industry. They report on the industry and that includes a range of items.

Keith

I agree, the media doesn't hate the cruise industry, they loved to turn a profit (when they can). If a story, weather it's a puff piece in a travel section or a report on storm affected cruise or Noro on a cruise chip, as long as it generates readership or viewership, they will run it. Our chosen vacation style is not a perfect industry so sometimes it will get negative coverage. I'm sure cruise industry executives think the media is biased against them, but so does the auto industry, the coal industry, the nuclear industry, the fast food industry and so on and so on.

So what if it turns out to be a negative story? if you are not a shareholder, and just a customer why would anyone care if the media reports negative stories about the cruise industry? We are in the initial stages of planning a Transatlantic cruise in 2019. Frankly, I hope some of the recent negative stories cause lots of people to cancel their booked transatlantic so I can get a better price. It's economics 101, same supply, less demand equals a lower price.

Have you seen the latest TurboTax TV commercial? In it a man is describing how he avoided a car hitting him and falls backward off a cruise ship.https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wFgL/turbotax-cruise

Not sure why this is something to use as a joke. It just makes gullible people think that it is easy to fall off a cruise ship by not paying attention. Really bad idea to make light of this.

I don't think this commercial is at all funny as it promotes the misconception that it is easy to fall off a ship. There was another tragedy on a Carnival ship reported yesterday, and the lack of information makes the public think that the woman just fell off the ship because of the lack of details. Most of us know that a 3-4 day Bahamas cruise + Carnival + drinking excessively + a very bad decision (sitting on balcony railing?, etc.)= avoidable tragedy.

I don't think the media hates the industry. They report on the industry and that includes a range of items.

I agree with you on this. Media will sensationalize and misreport anything. It's not like they target the cruise industry.

Keith

Precisely. They only want "stories" - and a few thousand people on a cruise ship having a great time enjoying fantastic weather is simply not as grabbing as: "thousands at risk as ship sails into storm" , or "dozens sickened by noro"

Every once in awhile, there'll be a story in the news about a snake making its' way up through someone's toilet at their home. Can you imagine the reaction from a cruiser (and the media) if a sea snake just happened to make it's way through the ship's plumbing and into someone's toilet? (Hmm. Sounds like a good story for April 1st.)

electric eel :o