Montego Bay

luv2travel06

Our Veendam Cuba cruise itinerary includes a stop at Montego Bay.

This story has us wondering if there might be an itinerary change.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/americas/jamaica-montego-bay-emergency-tourists-intl/index.html

We had been looking forward to that stop because, when we stayed at what was at the time Sunset Beach Resort, we watched a Carnival ship come and go as we enjoyed the beach there.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/20/americas/jamaica-montego-bay-emergency-tourists-intl/index.html

We had been looking forward to that stop because, when we stayed at what was at the time Sunset Beach Resort, we watched a Carnival ship come and go as we enjoyed the beach there.

Just there on the Veendam Dec/Jan - thought Montego Bay was a perfectly wretched port stop. However, taking the Martha Bray pontoon river float trip HAL excursion was nice. Jamaica felt pretty grim which makes it an interesting contrast to what one finds in Cuba on that same cruise, which is at least safe and clean, if also run down, but not the way Montego Bay has become scary run down.

There are some very deluxe gated resorts that we passed on the way to the river near Falmouth, but there was really zero interest in the entire island from the little I saw. Caymans were another story - looked quite nice. But Jamaica, no thank you. Their "no matta" attitude makes it a place that no matta to me either.

We were on a Nieu Amsterdam Christmas cruise that took us to Montego Bay in December. Most of the passengers got off the ship and went wherever. We stayed on the ship and enjoyed the peace and quiet.

Canadian government has posted an advisory to Canucks to avoid travel to Montego Bay due to violence. Two senior Canucks were murdered there approx. 2 weeks ago

All those on a resort are advised to stay on resorts or only go on resort sponsored tours

Bob

I will never get off again in Jamaica. Did not feel safe, although I went on an organized excursion by HAL.

Because I like to do things a bit off the beaten track, I often wander off from the hotspots. But in Jamaica, it never came to my mind to do that. I'm a pretty big and strong guy, but even if they paid me, I wouldn't have ventured off.

The first thing I smelled was the weed, so you can't fault them for not keeping up with their prejudices.

On at least 4 occasions I was asked if I wanted to buy some herbs or "stronger stuff"

Even at a "guarded" venue, many people were approached. These guys came from the water on their water scooters and as they approached the beach, all of the sudden all "guards" vanished. They came on fairly strong, I can't imagine what it's like to get confronted like this as a senior. I'm only in my mid 20's and I felt strongly intimidated and just wanted to get back to the ship.

I've travelled around the world and visited some shady places, but I've never felt that unsafe.

Nope, I'm not putting 1 more foot on that island.

Any US state that still wants legal recreational pot needs to visit Jamaica first. Learn what not to do. We were given a separate warning letter ahead of this port stop, which did not mean much since we did not know what areas and streets they were talking about. Especially glad now that I took the HAL river tour, because there was nothing in the town itself of any interest. The port lecture did not offer any specific warnings, that in retrospect now seems irresponsible, in light of the level of serious crimes targeting tourists. Besides the usual tourist warnings.

They added a forced "shopping" stop in town on the way back from the river raft tour, but the bus voted to be taken back to the ship instead - there was zero interest seeing any more tie-dye rasta wig hats in neon colors or Bob Marley posters. Jamaica needs a new second act if they want to showcase the unique resources they still might have that can bring in tourist dollars. The river raft tour was very well organized in a stunningly beautiful site. That Jamaica was still fine. Glad it also felt safe.

Jamaica has a very interesting history. It's a shame they don't develop it more since it would draw a whole lot more tourist money.

If they want to keep the "bad-boy" attitude, you could easily throw in the pirate era at you. Jamaica was pirate heaven and it would be extremely interesting to see some well-designed tours/attractions dedicated to that period.

It's a beautiful and interesting island but has been left to its fate for far too long.

Stay on the ship and enjoy the day. Would not even think of venturing beyond the enclosed port area. Had a very terrifying incident just beyond the port gate. The police (if that's what they were) just looked the other way. We went back to the ship and said "never again". Wouldn't doubt it if cruise ships soon stop going to any port in Jamaica.

I think it's unlikely they will change the itinerary this close to your sailing.

Wow, I had heard it was getting bad. First cruise in 1984 on Carnival with a stop at Ocho Rios. Hubby got hit up for "smoke" near Dunns River Falls. Great excursion by the way.

1987...fly to Montego Bay and stay a week in Falmouth. Security on the beach to keep the people away from bugging tourists to buy anything/everything. Martha Brea River float trip was fun. Took a tour to Negril.

Nothing to keep most of the people employed. :(

I would feel safe staying with a guided tour there.

One time to Jamaica and never again. We were approached by drug dealers in the middle of the street, downtown Montego Bay. The only place I would even think of going to would be Margarettaville, just to sit on the outside deck and look. out on the Bay.

We went to Ocho Rios on our first cruise. It is a beautiful place, just gorgeous. The people are what you might call “close talkers”. I, at first, felt invaded until I realized this and verified once I got back home by reading about the people. Did a HAL excursion, the shopping was behind a gate guarded by men with guns. Hubby wanted to go across the street to the native market and I was scared [emoji33] but I’m glad we did. A smile and No thanks went part of the way. The people are persistent but we all wound up laughing. I felt brave having challenged my inner bias BUT even with that said, I doubt I would get off the ship if there were a next time. Things have gotten worse in 20 years I think. And of course we were offered “Ganga”, we declined, no big deal. It is the culture and they don’t chase you or anything, we just said no and kept moving. That was the least scared I was on the island, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We’ve never stopped in Jamaica on a cruise ship but visited for a week 2 different times, once in the early 1990s and then around 2007 so it has been over 10 years since we’ve been there.

Both times we were there we (and everyone else) were offered drugs numerous times, but didn’t think much about it since that has happened to us in various US cities and really throughout the world. Both times we left the resort and walked through neighborhoods nearby even though there were warnings.....never felt unsafe.

What we have found with extensive travel throughout Mexico over the past 11 years is those who get in trouble are usually doing something they shouldn’t be - buying drugs, out after midnight, etc. (granted, sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time) The media just fails to report the whole story. So, I just assumed Jamaica was the same way. Sounds like that might not be the case and I’m sad to learn that. Beautiful island and beautiful people.

For those of you who don’t like aggressive people in your face trying to sell you things you should avoid Southeast Asia, Mexico, North Africa and the Middle East. We have had sales people chase us in each of these areasand get in our face more than once. One poor lady on our HAL tour in Morocco escaped the sales guy chasing her only by getting on the bus. He very aggressively harassed her for about a half mile with people trying to form a circle around her to keep him away. Her mistake??? Touching something she didn’t want to buy to feel the quality of the material. Sad, but reality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am guessing Jamaica has changed dramatically for the worse in the past 10 years - much of its infrastructure that looked like former resorts is now degraded or abandoned. Some secluded and heavily gated parts looked nice still, but one would need to keep those in isolation from the rest of the Jamaica experience. Who knows, maybe the proliferation of cruise ships and day-trippers helped create this current morass. One needs to do their homework carefully when visiting Jamaica today.

We’ve never stopped in Jamaica on a cruise ship but visited for a week 2 different times, once in the early 1990s and then around 2007 so it has been over 10 years since we’ve been there.

Both times we were there we (and everyone else) were offered drugs numerous times, but didn’t think much about it since that has happened to us in various US cities and really throughout the world. Both times we left the resort and walked through neighborhoods nearby even though there were warnings.....never felt unsafe.

What we have found with extensive travel throughout Mexico over the past 11 years is those who get in trouble are usually doing something they shouldn’t be - buying drugs, out after midnight, etc. (granted, sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time) The media just fails to report the whole story. So, I just assumed Jamaica was the same way. Sounds like that might not be the case and I’m sad to learn that. Beautiful island and beautiful people.

For those of you who don’t like aggressive people in your face trying to sell you things you should avoid Southeast Asia, Mexico, North Africa and the Middle East. We have had sales people chase us in each of these areasand get in our face more than once. One poor lady on our HAL tour in Morocco escaped the sales guy chasing her only by getting on the bus. He very aggressively harassed her for about a half mile with people trying to form a circle around her to keep him away. Her mistake??? Touching something she didn’t want to buy to feel the quality of the material. Sad, but reality.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We saw shop keepers chasing tourists to the tour buses in Tangiers. Guards closed metal gates to keep all safe. It was awful

• 2 weeks later...

We, too, said never again to a Jamaica port visit. Unfortunately, the cruise that we are going on with friends next February includes Falmouth, Jamaica. (We were very limited on dates and other itineraries were identical to the one we just did last month). We definitely will not get off the ship and will suggest our friends do the same. I would be so happy to see HAL omit stops in Jamaica -- for the safety of their passengers.

We, too, said never again to a Jamaica port visit. Unfortunately, the cruise that we are going on with friends next February includes Falmouth, Jamaica. (We were very limited on dates and other itineraries were identical to the one we just did last month). We definitely will not get off the ship and will suggest our friends do the same. I would be so happy to see HAL omit stops in Jamaica -- for the safety of their passengers.

Falmouth may be the one stop that is still okay in Jamaica from other reports on the net I read before I just visited here over the holidays - plus it puts you closer to the river rafting on the Martha Bray - which is a shore excursion worth a scheduled tour visit. Gorgeous and jungly - all you could wish the whole island would be like. You don't get wet - you sit on a bamboo raft bench, while you get poled down the river under a lush green canopy.

So don't close this port off totally yet - do a little more digging to see what you also come up with - and good to hear they are dropping Montego Bay - ugly and scary. I remember one report before my own visit that said if you go to Jamaica today get yourself to Falmouth as soon as possible. Made me pay attention.

Falmouth may be the one stop that is still okay in Jamaica from other reports on the net I read before I just visited here over the holidays - plus it puts you closer to the river rafting on the Martha Bray - which is a shore excursion worth a scheduled tour visit. Gorgeous and jungly - all you could wish the whole island would be like. You don't get wet - you sit on a bamboo raft bench, while you get poled down the river under a lush green canopy.

So don't close this port off totally yet - do a little more digging to see what you also come up with - and good to hear they are dropping Montego Bay - ugly and scary. I remember one report before my own visit that said if you go to Jamaica today get yourself to Falmouth as soon as possible. Made me pay attention.

Thank you! It sounds like that might be very worthwhile! I'm sure our friends will be happy to be able to get off the ship and explore new territory!

I’m on my way to Jamaica in two weeks for a land trip. I’ve been to places that had travel advisories and whenever I go to those places, it turns out to be a big fat nothing. But I’ll let you know if it was as bad as all that. You know, IF I make it back. [emoji43]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums