Royal Caribbean “ invalid credit card”

Happycruiser1601

Hi, just booked my first Royal Caribbean cruise out of Sydney Australia and having a terrible time adding my credit card to my online check in details. It keeps saying it’s an invalid card which it is not. It’s a Visa card and when I start to type the numbers, the visa sign lights up but half way through typing it’s switches to the MasterCard sign which lights up then I get the invalid message.i even rang Royal Caribbean and they say it’s a Mastercard when he tried to do it for me! I can read my own card and it’s definitely Visa. Do not own a Mastercard. Any ideas why this may be and how to rectify it, so frustrating. Sailed with Princess many times and never a glitch.

Regional credit cards can be a problem for online bookings of a number of things. I see problems for Australians trying to even purchase reserved times for Spanish tours. So, are you trying to book on the American RCI website? Does it have an Australian one? Regional pricing also happens, so I suspect that you may not be 'eligible' to book via the system you are using.

Book by phone or a cruise travel agent.

Strange. I thought Visa card numbers started with the digit 4 and MasterCard with 5 with the rest of the number identifying the issuer and the account number with the last digit a check number.

Interesting. Learn something new every day. That is the case with my 2 Visas and my 1 Master Card (all are from Chase). American Express starts with a 3 and Discover with a 6. :cool:

Hi, just booked my first Royal Caribbean cruise out of Sydney Australia and having a terrible time adding my credit card to my online check in details. It keeps saying it’s an invalid card which it is not. It’s a Visa card and when I start to type the numbers, the visa sign lights up but half way through typing it’s switches to the MasterCard sign which lights up then I get the invalid message.i even rang Royal Caribbean and they say it’s a Mastercard when he tried to do it for me! I can read my own card and it’s definitely Visa. Do not own a Mastercard. Any ideas why this may be and how to rectify it, so frustrating. Sailed with Princess many times and never a glitch.

Just choose a cash account and have them run the credit card at check-in.

Regardless about the start of the numbers, somewhere part way through something does not compute. I am on other travel forums and too many times seen Australians unable to enter credit cards on certain websites. It usually isn't the credit card, it is the website. It picks up a number sequence it doesn't like, and you can't proceed. It isn't the fraud deterrent that is set up by some banks or on certain cards, but coding on the website.

(I will admit that my previous post was written pre-morning coffee, so written as if it was problems booking instead of problems entering personal data).....oh why won't CC let us edit our posts :-(

Regardless about the start of the numbers, somewhere part way through something does not compute. I am on other travel forums and too many times seen Australians unable to enter credit cards on certain websites. It usually isn't the credit card, it is the website. It picks up a number sequence it doesn't like, and you can't proceed. It isn't the fraud deterrent that is set up by some banks or on certain cards, but coding on the website.

(I will admit that my previous post was written pre-morning coffee, so written as if it was problems booking instead of problems entering personal data).....oh why won't CC let us edit our posts :-(

You CAN edit your post -- for twenty minutes only though.

[uote=whogo;55063918]Strange. I thought Visa card numbers started with the digit 4 and MasterCard with 5 with the rest of the number identifying the issuer and the account number with the last digit a check number.

You are correct, that’s why they should realise it’s a visa.