Jeans Turned Away on Gala Night

ithaca gal

Well, I really have not seen/heard that claim put forth on these threads.

How about the term "interstate pit stop"?

But, I do wonder why some people get their skivvies in a knot over the idea of a cruise line wanting to offer passengers some level of ambience in the main dining room a notch or two above that to be expected at an interstate pit stop.

I wonder why some get their skivies in a knot over someone wearing blue jeans. Is 'ambiance' so fragile that even a brief exposure to a ball cap will cause it's demise?

I wonder why some get their skivies in a knot over someone wearing blue jeans. Is 'ambiance' so fragile that even a brief exposure to a ball cap will cause it's demise?

Apparently for you; the one who is most adamant.

Okay, what about the term "interstate pit stop" ?

What the "wear what you want" folks do not seem to understand is the fact that a few people well dressed in a very casual environment will have far less impact on the ambience than would the same number of sloppy people in a more formal environment.

Clearing one corner of a sloppy room still leave a sloppy room - while messing up one corner of a neat room will result in a messy room.

Bottom line, however, is the question of why some people seem opposed to the concept of an enforced dress code. I do not need for there to be a dress code - but if there is one, I wonder why people will insist upon not complying with it -- they only logical answer seems to be that they think they are more important than others.

Interesting observations after being on the Eurodam 12/31 - 1/7.

- More than a few times, people were incredibly rude having full volume conversations during shows on the main stage or at Lincoln Center Stage.

- Some folks were intent on taking lots of pictures during shows, which I probably could have tuned out if they didn't have their flash locked on and had the camera shutter sound at a volume level loud enough to fill the entire venue.

- Around Lincoln Center Stage, people coming down the hallway having loud joking conversations with booming laughter would get even louder when the poor HAL staff would try and get them to quiet down or move.

The irony in all of this, is on our 3 gala nights (NYE + 2 sea days), it was folks who would have clearly fit within the top 10% of the dress code (tuxes, gowns, jewelry) who caused the most disruption.

Now, this is just one data point, one cruise, and as one couple we certainly didn't attend all possible entertainment events. Still, it's amusing to come back from that experience and see that jeans in the MDR is the hill that this forum collectively has decided to die on. I'll take someone in jeans over "OH MY GAWD BARBARA, AWEN'T THEY JUST LOVELY?" *FLASH* SHUTTER SOUND @ 80dB.

We think that HAL's new attire guidelines are fine. Overdue? Yes,

Don't understand the comment about sailing with HAL in order to avoid drunks bouncing off the walls , etc.. There is actually something between this and everyone tucked in bed on HAL by 10/10:30 PM.

We have cruised HAl, Princess,Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Crystsl, and RCI. We have never seen this. We would rate this on the same level as some of the Walmart comments. Too many aspiring elitists.

Edited by iancal

We think that HAL's new attire guidelines are fine. Overdue? Yes,

Don't understand the comment about sailing with HAL in order to avoid drunks bouncing off the walls , etc.. There is actually something between this and everyone tucked in bed on HAL by 10/10:30 PM.

We have cruised HAl, Princess,Carnival, NCL, Celebrity, Crystsl, and RCI. We have never seen this. We would rate this on the same level as some of the Walmart comments. Too many aspiring elitists.

The comments using other cruise lines (and their attributes/stereotypes)as an insult speak volumes.