Cruising Aruba, Curacao, and Bonaire--advice?

scrabble6

We also loved Woodwind snorkeling in Bonaire. Definitely the best snorkeling experience we've ever had. Included a delicious lunch, and they provided DH with prescription mask which he's never had before. We took the morning session which allowed time for a sit down meal in a restaurant and then we got a truncated taxi tour of the island.

We also were in Curacao for Carnival. It was fabulous, but the town itself was closed right up because of the holiday.

In Aruba, I read that lots of people rent a car and drive themselves around. That, for us, was a bit of a mistake. We had difficulty with directions, and because we weren't exactly sure how far we could go and still be confident of getting back, we ended up back way too early. A bit of a waste of money. Still, DH likes that he can add a Caribbean island to the number of countries he can say he's driven in.

I would do an itinerary with these three islands again in a heartbeat.

we have done this 2 times and another deep Caribbean as well, and it is the only cruise I wish I had taken Binoculars on.

I agree with the poster that said port side is better but starboard is not bad.

Edited by north29

We are thinking about booking these for our March Aruba trip, are they easy to drive? My husband is wondering.

If husband can drive a manual transmission vehicle, no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are thinking about booking these for our March Aruba trip, are they easy to drive? My husband is wondering.

Yes. Everyone that will drive a Trike will take a quick lesson.

It is a blast.

Edited by janetz

• 1 year later...
Be sure to see the flocks of wild flamingos on Bonaire and Curaçao.

Hi, is it easy to see the flamingos close up? I read somewhere that the only place to see them walking by on the beach is an island that belongs to one of the hotels and it is $100 to go there! I would love to be sure that we would be able to see them close up as they are so exotic and this will probably be the only chance we will get to see them in such close quarters.

Another vote for Woodwind in Bonaire. They are truly exceptional!!! We booked over a year in advance...they do book up quickly. No deposit is required. Their website shows what dates have availability.

One of the best excursions we have done was in Aruba. Trikes-Aruba

Easy and if your older, it is still so much fun.

http://www.trikes-aruba.com

Soon there will the Trikes-Cozumel. :D

This looks fun. Are the streets super busy? Did you feel safe driving one around town? I’m afraid the streets will be like Jamaica. (Every man for himself, no street laws enforced.).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On Eclipse right now and just visited all three. A lot of good advice has already been given so I just thought I would post my opinion that for this cruise, a port side cabin would have been better particularly as we had an overnight in Aruba and our starboard side cabin just faced the water. All in all, wonderful, beautiful ports!

Aruba Trikes very safe and easy ask for Automatic.

Bonaire hire a golf cart for a day and tour around the Island on your own.

Curacao walk over to the town eat watching the Bridge open and close.

Will do this cruise anytime lovely Islands

Can two adults and one 8 year old ride on one or do we need to rent two?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bonaire.....we rented a golf cart for the day....and drove around the island..past the salt flats, the flamingos, etc. There's very little traffic and the golf carts are a fun and unusual way to get around. Bonaire Cruisers....check them out on the internet..5 stars..and worth it.

Don't expect to do much shopping on any of the ABC's....some charge VAT as if they are in Europe...and prices on the others are just high. No liquor bargains, no jewelry bargains...don't even try. Enjoy the beach or whatever....

Another vote for Woodwind Snorkel in Bonaire 6ae6432b60a46b7f8449a23c10f41690.jpgf01e92a34c492e0b165992b45fd2b419.jpg

We love Cos Abao Beach in Curaçao, it is 45 minutes & $120 for a cab (stuff the van with friends). 2c46a4e5ef1654eafa1a66d650ae93b6.jpg

Aruba take the city bus to Eagle Beach $2.25pp. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

An option to taking a cab to visit Cos Abao Beach in Curaçao is renting a car from Avis. Their office is right at the end of the pier, and a car will cost you under $55 for the day. That gives you the option of visiting some of the other great beaches. We've done this several times and highly recommend it.

So glad to see the positive reviews for Woodwind in Bonaire. We are on the Silhouette in November 2018 and booked them a year out based on other positive recommendations. We plan to do Celebrity's catamaran sunset cruise in Aruba. As of right now, we will just enjoy walking around in Curacao, or perhaps taking a taxi.

An option to taking a cab to visit Cos Abao Beach in Curaçao is renting a car from Avis. Their office is right at the end of the pier, and a car will cost you under $55 for the day. That gives you the option of visiting some of the other great beaches. We've done this several times and highly recommend it.

Which side of the road do they drive on? How is the traffic, how are the roads? I would love to do this, just don't know if I dare! Kim

Yet another recommendation for Woodwind in Bonaire.

For any first time snorkeler, or anyone who is at all hesitant about trying snorkeling or needing assistance and reassurance, check if Dee (Dedrie) will be on the boat when you go.

She is wonderful with beginners and people who have mobility issues.

Which side of the road do they drive on? How is the traffic, how are the roads? I would love to do this, just don't know if I dare! Kim

Unlike Barbados, where we also rent a car normally, in Curaçao they drive on the right side of the road. If you are from the US, you may find the roads narrower but generally in good condition. There are abundant roundabouts/traffic circles in built up areas, which may be new to you as a driver, but they shouldn't pose a problem. The traffic in Willemstad can be moderately heavy at times, but I've not experienced any congestion, and once out of the city it's quite light.

I generally look at Google maps and plot out where we are heading beforehand. I used to take a GPS unit with me for the drive, but now I just use my iPhone's mapping. Most rental agencies can provide GPS for an extra few dollars.

Give it a try, Kim, and you'll have no regrets!

If you are a beach person, then go to Eagle Beach. It is a short bus or cab ride from the cruise terminal. They just opened an area beside the Costa Linda Beach Resort for cruisers, where you can rent chairs, Jet skis, Snorkel gear etc. There are restrooms and a bar and grill, or you can go to the Costa Linda bar or restaurants. If you would like more seclusion, you can go up tp Arashi Beach which is near the California Lighthouse. For great snorkeling, go to Boca Catalina and snorkel off the beach. This is where the snorkel boats go. Make sure you bring a bag of frozen peas. The fish love them!! Of course most of the action is on Palm Beach by the high rise hotels, but in my opinion, Eagle Beach is far superior.

Edited by LUVCROOZERS