Wine Cost

CruiseNut24

Wow. I've never heard of a $20 bottle of wine on Princess. Perhaps the $20 is what they will give in OBC if you trade it in?

I think they do offer a couple of Mondavi wines in that price range for room service but they are 375 ml bottles. A "normal" $20 bottle of wine would likely be in the $35 - $40 range onboard - possibly more.

My travel agent usually also gives a $20 bottle of wine. Princess does not have any $20 bottles of wine; I think the cheapest I remember is around $28. You give the voucher to the waiter and your cruise card. They will give you the credit for the $20 and add the remainder of the price plus the 15% gratuity to your account.

I was gifted a bottle of Puerto Viejo Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon on our last cruise, it was listed as $28 plus gratuity on the wine list, it's listed online for somewhere between $8-10. I re-gifted it to our dining room waiter along with some cash at the end of the cruise.

My preference is to pack in a bottle or two of wine, everyone has different tastes in wine though so to each their own.

I was given a $30 bottle from my TA, and it covered the gratuity on top of the $30 for a total of $34.50. I used it at Crab Shack, so using it in a "normal" venue might be different, but they charged the entire bottle of wine to my account, then credited back the amount of the voucher as refundable OBC. That worked out great as I had a TON of OBC and was having trouble spending it all. I got to take that $34 as a refund, rather than blowing it on something in the gift shop.

I got the same once .... not all that long ago. My brother and his wife got the same. The wine was awful so the next bottle was turned in for credit towards a better bottle and $20 was the credit we had to work with. So, I never saw that wine or anything that cheap on any menu offered by Princess ... it must just be the cheap stuff that they give when the travel agent gives a pax a $20 bottle of wine. Much happier trading it in and being credited the $20 for that second bottle.