Manzanillo, Mexico

zorrosuncle

When we were in Manzanillo, we docked. It was easy walking to town. But the town is an authentic Mexican town, not a tourist town. I liked that but your mileage may vary.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

The U.S. State Department's new travel advisories put Colima (the Mexican state where Manzanillo is located) at Level 4 -- "do not travel." From the LA Times:

What’s happening:

Rival cartels have been battling for control of Manzanillo’s port, a primary point of entry for drugs from South and Central America as well as for precursor chemicals coming from Asia that are used to manufacture synthetic drugs. “Violent crime and gang activity are widespread,” the U.S. warned in its travel advisory. “Do not travel.”

This decision would probably be based on the circumstances in the actual port city and immediate surroundings rather than the state as a whole.

igraf

The U.S. State Department's new travel advisories put Colima (the Mexican state where Manzanillo is located) at Level 4 -- "do not travel." From the LA Times:

We were there unfortunately on a Sunday when we did a cruise out of our home town San Diego.

All shops were closed in the small town since church was in service. We walked around near the plaza took pics of statues and only remember some very sick dogs so skinny laying in the shade near the statues. We did see some police cars driving around. Will give it another chance doing a Mexican cruise in the future.

I remember we docked and did a nice walk into town along the water.

Denise:)

Been there twice. It's a newer port destination for cruise ships so it hasn't been International diamonized yet.... We just walked around the plaza and around town. The ship docked right in town so it was easy. A good place to buy things. The main streets are just everyday businesses like hardware shops, shoe stores and fabric shops or appliances. We liked it for a short walk and then back to the ship to hang at the pool.

There were a lot of armed military guards at the terminal and you would see them drive by on the streets. We never saw any trouble on the two times we were there.

Where does the ship dock or tender; Anything to do in this port. Not really into beach. Can I just walk around? Is the dock or tender area within walking distance of the town ? Will be on tre Zaandam in late September

ZU

Manzanilla is one of the ports on our Zaandam cruise coming up in April. I have read about a privately owned iguana sanctuary that seems to be within walking distance of the pier and would like to visit, but am a little concerned after reading the travel warnings. I think we will just wait and see how things look when we arrive. None of the ship tours interest me so it could end up being a day where we just stay on the ship.

We docked a few years ago. It was the first time we did a day pass at a resort. It was Las Hadas resort. We enjoyed it thoroughly. Food by the poolside was excellent. Cab was inexpensive.

What I do remember was the price if you paid in USD was about 30 percent higher than the peso (adjusted for currency) price. We did not reserve...just walk ins and paid with pesos.

Edited by iancal

we docked on the long pier last year where you could stroll into the small town. Lots of local tables set up with wood carvings, dresses, shoes, etc. bought some cute wood painted trays (need cash for these merchants) nice town to wander around by the waterfront, and bought some silver jewlery at a good price . did notice many stores had guards with guns out side, but no problems noticed and no pan handlers either.