Callao (Lima), Peru Cruise Ship Shuttle

PopPopB

Our HAL SA cruise on the MS Zaandam is stopping at Callao (Lima), Peru on March 22 & 23, 2018. I know that there are no private tours or individuals allowed at the port gate. I am also aware that cruise ships generally run shuttles from the gate into downtown Lima. We will be meeting a former foreign exchange son from Colombia in Lima for each of the two days we will be there. It is very important for us to know specifically where in Lima the shuttle will take us and what schedule it is likely to run so that we can meet him.. Does anyone know with specificity where the HAL shuttle goes in Lima (and when)?

We've been to Lima 3 times and I don't ever remember a shuttle, except one the the port gate and the H. Stern one to Miraflores (there will be long line ups for this shuttle). At the port gate there will be taxis.

If your exchange son knows the city, he could come up with a meeting place. Otherwise, Miraflores seems to be a safer area.

The historic area is lovely with lots to see, a church and a cathedral, both worth the time.

The Port of Callao, Peru is a very large industrial port; A complimentary shuttle in Japanese Hino mini-buses will take you from the gangway to the main gate where there is a taxi stand located inside said gate. Those taxis, who are marked - do not get in an unmarked one! - will take you to wherever you tell the dispatcher or driver you want to go to in Lima - settle on a price first, because not many "habla ingles" - and/or there is a shuttle (non-complimentary) that will take you to the Miraflores district of Lima

DO NOT go out the port gate on your own and start wandering the streets of Callao! It's a confirmed ghetto, similar or worse than some of the areas I worked in, in L.A., with a high crime rate.

We were on the Zaandam last April, with an overnight in Lima. HAL provided complimentary coach-style shuttle buses that ran from the ship to Parque Juan Pablo II beside Plaza San Miguel, an open-air-style shopping mall about 7-8 km from the port. As I recall this was a somewhat last-minute change, because we had to contact our tour operator during the cruise to meet us here, instead of at the Callao port gates. No one was allowed to leave the ship on foot or exit the port gates into Callao, even to meet a tour operator or pick up a taxi.

The shuttle worked extremely well, we used it on both days, and our tour operator (Haku Tours, they were fantastic, must give them a shout-out!) switched up and met us all at Plaza San Miguel and dropped us off there afterwards. It appeared to be a very safe area and on the first night, when we were dropped off at 9 or 10 pm after the Water Laser Show, there were crew members from the ship at the shuttle bus pick-up point to make sure that everyone stayed safe. On the second day, we walked over into the mall to do some shopping after the tour, and caught a later shuttle bus.

I think it is wonderful that you can reconnect with an exchange student you hosted. We’ve had the pleasure of meeting up with two young men in Europe, previously hosted by family.

I’ve been to Lima but not with Holland America. It is a sketchy place and I would not want to wander without a plan. Hire a tour company to drive you around.

The port shuttle bus took us to the port gate where we could meet tour operators. The gate area is teeming with cabbies and they surround you as soon as you step off the bus. They are jostling, yelling, cajoling right in your face. Some are trying to pick your pocket.

We got off the bus and our tour guide was there with a sign and whisked us away.

I am racking my brain for the tour company name and it may have been the previously mentioned Haku Tours.

Whoever you hire is an email or phone call away if the port drop off has changed.

Our cruise line ran a free shuttle to the Miraflores area. It was forty minutes away in never ending traffic.

Enjoy

Our HAL SA cruise on the MS Zaandam is stopping at Callao (Lima), Peru on March 22 & 23, 2018. I know that there are no private tours or individuals allowed at the port gate. I am also aware that cruise ships generally run shuttles from the gate into downtown Lima. We will be meeting a former foreign exchange son from Colombia in Lima for each of the two days we will be there. It is very important for us to know specifically where in Lima the shuttle will take us and what schedule it is likely to run so that we can meet him.. Does anyone know with specificity where the HAL shuttle goes in Lima (and when)?

ANSWER: Yes, I do know. Larcomar Shopping Center area in Miraflores Zone, an upscale Lima area. BUT the big motorcoaches driver will tell YOU exactly where you'll get off/on....I can't. But you're not 100% correct on the 'At The Port Gate' info. I met a guy with his car outside the Gate both days we were there and so did others and ship's crew as well. But I'm comfortable in Urban gritty areas. I've seen much worse.

The only shuttle is to the gate.

I would be very careful as the area near the cruise port is very bad. And when I say very bad police don't even like going there.

Keith

not true on my cruise....there was a free shuttle to local shopping center as described above by Bleacher04.

not true on my cruise....there was a free shuttle to local shopping center as described above by Bleacher04.

Yes, my mistake.

I meant no shuttles to Lima.

There are often shuttles that take you to the shopping area much closer then Lima.

Keith

We were on the Zaandam last April, with an overnight in Lima. HAL provided complimentary coach-style shuttle buses that ran from the ship to Parque Juan Pablo II beside Plaza San Miguel, an open-air-style shopping mall about 7-8 km from the port. As I recall this was a somewhat last-minute change, because we had to contact our tour operator during the cruise to meet us here, instead of at the Callao port gates. No one was allowed to leave the ship on foot or exit the port gates into Callao, even to meet a tour operator or pick up a taxi.

The shuttle worked extremely well, we used it on both days, and our tour operator (Haku Tours, they were fantastic, must give them a shout-out!) switched up and met us all at Plaza San Miguel and dropped us off there afterwards. It appeared to be a very safe area and on the first night, when we were dropped off at 9 or 10 pm after the Water Laser Show, there were crew members from the ship at the shuttle bus pick-up point to make sure that everyone stayed safe. On the second day, we walked over into the mall to do some shopping after the tour, and caught a later shuttle bus.

We were on Zaandam in April, 2016 and it was the same way. The area around the Port is really bad with crime and drugs! The first couple of Shuttles did let people off at the Gate and someone was mugged walking the block or so from the Gate to where his Private Tour Guide was waiting. They changed it after the man got hurt and all Shuttles took everyone straight to Parque Juan Pablo.

HAL's tour buses did come in and pick up at the Ship but anyone going into Lima on their own or meeting a Private Tour had to take the Shuttle Bus.

Thank you to everyone who replied. It seems as though the most common response confirmed the following post by bleacher04:

"HAL provided complimentary coach-style shuttle buses that ran from the ship to Parque Juan Pablo II beside Plaza San Miguel, an open-air-style shopping mall about 7-8 km from the port."

Through email, I received direct response from one Cruise Critic member who stated, similarly, that HAL in the UK informed her that this specific HAL cruise would provide a "free shuttle to Plaza San Miguel." I guess we won't know for sure until we arrive but I feel fairly confident that this will be our plan. Thanks again for all of your responses.

You could arrange a meeting place with the person you want to meet, one that is not dependent on whatever shuttle bus may or may not be provided. I would pick a hotel for being a well know location, comfortable and safe for waiting because your timing will not be specific, as you were hoping for. The use a taxi from the shuttle bus drop off to the meeting place, from wherever the shuttle leaves you. Don't leave it to chance, and we'll see what happens when we get there, or in your words... "I guess we won't know for sure until we arrive". m--

good advice...the sheraton Lima shows as being 3.6 miles from the Plaza San Miguel

the Westin shows as 4.3 miles away.....

even if HAL changes the shuttle desitination etc a taxi to either sheraton or westin would be pretty sure thing as a meeting place

You could arrange a meeting place with the person you want to meet, one that is not dependent on whatever shuttle bus may or may not be provided. I would pick a hotel for being a well know location, comfortable and safe for waiting because your timing will not be specific, as you were hoping for. The use a taxi from the shuttle bus drop off to the meeting place, from wherever the shuttle leaves you. Don't leave it to chance, and we'll see what happens when we get there, or in your words... "I guess we won't know for sure until we arrive". m--

Would I be able to safely get a taxi at the port gate and then have the tax take me to a specific hotel?

Would I be able to safely get a taxi at the port gate and then have the taxi take me to a specific hotel?

On our cruise last year, the answer would be No. Callao is an industrial port, and so our options were either to get off the ship and onto a HAL tour, or off the ship and onto the shuttle to the Plaza. There was no Option 3. In fact we received letters on board, telling us that no one would be allowed to exit the port gates on foot.

But that was last year; I can’t say what HAL, or the port authority, will do this time. But personally I would not risk it.

Plaza San Miguel is a large and relatively upscale mall, and we felt perfectly safe there. Could you arrange to meet your friend somewhere inside there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks again. I believe the shuttle to Plaza San Miguel and meeting there is the answer. Our exchange student is Colombian and obviously a Spanish speaker. I think he will be very comfortable with meeting inside the mall.