Anyone expert on HAL , Alaska cruising ... i want to ask about the deck, please

jaitip

Hello

I am going to book ms Westerdam cruising to Alaska.

I want to know in case I book room VE type on Deck 8 Navigation deck, is it too far to see the animals if they come?

The room is near the lift which allow my mother to get easily.

Also, is it too noisy? I read some threads and people said there would be scalping chairs and noisy, is this true?

Now there are 4 deck available as i see in the web, which are Navigation, upper prom, verandah and upper verandah.

I will have southbound cruise, leaving Seward on June 2nd, 2018

How rough water would affect in case i book very back Aft cabin (VC)? Or should i book VB which is a bit more expensive but it is located at the beginning of aft, any different?

Is it too noisy for Upper promenade?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask one more , please

What does this mean “ Staterooms have solid steel verandah railings instead of clear-view Plexiglass railing”?

Thank you

Some of the verandahs near the front have the steel railings as you noted in one of your posts. If you are sitting down you can't see the water or shore since it's all metal rather than the clear plrexiglass. I'm assuming your mother would be sitting more than standing on the verandah since you are wanting to be close to an elevator?

Some of the verandahs near the front have the steel railings as you noted in one of your posts. If you are sitting down you can't see the water or shore since it's all metal rather than the clear plrexiglass. I'm assuming your mother would be sitting more than standing on the verandah since you are wanting to be close to an elevator?

Thank you

Yes.

My mom would be sitting. She is very old. Often I don’t understand about the words for ship.^^

I am not English speaker too.

I just realized you posted your date so you might not want to post your cabin number (don't blame you!). If it were me booking with an elderly mother, on Upper Promenade I would choose VA, VB or VC. On Navigation deck, I think the VE cabins at the front would probably be OK as they are not right under the Fitness center/gym. They are under the Spa, but the spa is not noisy.

Keep in mind I have not actually sailed on the Westerdam; I am going by the deck plans and comparing it to ships I have been on noise-wise..

I just realized you posted your date so you might not want to post your cabin number (don't blame you!). If it were me booking with an elderly mother, on Upper Promenade I would choose VA, VB or VC. On Navigation deck, I think the VE cabins at the front would probably be OK as they are not right under the Fitness center/gym. They are under the Spa, but the spa is not noisy.

Keep in mind I have not actually sailed on the Westerdam; I am going by the deck plans and comparing it to ships I have been on noise-wise..

Sorry.

I don’t mean that i did not want to put cabin number. That was just because it would be too much for people to read them.

Last night here i saw VB4142 still available but this morning it ‘s gone but VB4150 comes instead. 4142 is better in my opinion. This is the port side which i don’t know if the view is more nice than the starboard side. But the price for VB is $2718

The room i booked is VC6127 because it is near the lift and price is $2688, little bit cheaper VB type. There are no port side available now but last night i saw there were some available but very back of the ship as they are in VC type.

For VC type I saw it would be at the back of the ship which is little far from the lift. But the room i booked (VC6127) its position is about the same as VB type in other deck but i don’t know why it is categorized as VC. I then book it. There are VC6127 and VC6133 now, but i booked VC6127.

For navigation deck last night only VE8102 available it costs $2628 but i saw it is located under the toilet. This morning 8102 and 8115 available but still under the toilet. 8115 is about under the sea view bar, isn’t it? 8115 seem better for now.

Actually the high upper deck is good in that it is near Lido deck which is convenient to walk up and down for taking food to our room but far from to see sea life, right? And the room available now are not in good position.

At the time i am writing the rooms available are

1. Deck4 upper prom: 4137, 4139, 4141, 4145, 4149 these are starboard and 4150 which is port side.

2. Deck5, verandah: VB5143, 5145 and VC5163, 5167, 5169, 5171, 5175, 5179

3. Deck6, upper verandah: VC6127, 6133. I booked 6127

4. Dec8, navigation deck: VE8102, 8115

I noticed most sold out are in port side. In case the side matters, i have only VB4150 now for the best available now. What a pity 4142!

For southbound, port side matters?

Thank you

If you booked a stateroom on the upoer veranda deck you should have a quiet stateroom.

Thank you. That is what i consider also.

I try to look for the best as i can but with reasonable price.

Staterooms on the aft Deck 5 of the Westerdam have large, fully covered balconies that are good for sitting outside even while the ship is moving or it is raining. Also, some great views that are not restricted to one side of the ship as in other staterooms.

I only cruise in aft staterooms for Alaska.

Staterooms on the aft Deck 5 of the Westerdam have large, fully covered balconies that are good for sitting outside even while the ship is moving or it is raining. Also, some great views that are not restricted to one side of the ship as in other staterooms.

I only cruise in aft staterooms for Alaska.

Thank you

What about the other decks? Smaller? Or not fully covered?