Tipping Tour Guides in Japan

BassettMom

I know that tipping is not common in Japan and can be considered an insult. But wondering about tour guides. For land tours in English and also for cruise ship tour guides, would those tour guides be "used to" being tipped (especially by Americans)?

I know different countries have different customs and practices and not trying to get in a "tipping is right/tipping is wrong" discussion, just wondering if those who have taken ship's tours, or land tours in Japan have tipped their English-speaking guides?

I'm taking a 3-day tour from Tokyo to Kyoto pre-cruise and also a ship's excursion during the cruise. Should I refrain from tipping them? Would it be appropriate to bring a small gift, perhaps for the 3-day tour guide?

Any thoughts or advice?

Yes, tipping in most situations is considered rude, like they are begging for money. However, tour guides and others in the travel industry accept tips and are use to getting tips (not sure if it's figured into their compensation by the tour company since they know that foreigners give tips). I have been on a couple of land tours organized by people from Japan and we always tipped. The amount varied, but not more than $10 a day per person, we didn't tip the driver separately. Not sure if you would tip the "free" tour guides in some of the major cities - usually walking tours. You could offer to buy them lunch or take a small gift from home to show your appreciation for spending the time showing you around.

Another note, you don't have to tip taxi drivers, just round up, for example, if the fare is 475 yen, give them 500. Also, don't close the door, the rear passenger seat, that is open for you when you get into the taxi. I did and the taxi driver yelled at me, they will close if for you from inside the taxi.

Yes, tipping in most situations is considered rude, like they are begging for money. However, tour guides and others in the travel industry accept tips and are use to getting tips (not sure if it's figured into their compensation by the tour company since they know that foreigners give tips). I have been on a couple of land tours organized by people from Japan and we always tipped. The amount varied, but not more than $10 a day per person, we didn't tip the driver separately. Not sure if you would tip the "free" tour guides in some of the major cities - usually walking tours. You could offer to buy them lunch or take a small gift from home to show your appreciation for spending the time showing you around.

Another note, you don't have to tip taxi drivers, just round up, for example, if the fare is 475 yen, give them 500. Also, don't close the door, the rear passenger seat, that is open for you when you get into the taxi. I did and the taxi driver yelled at me, they will close if for you from inside the taxi.

Thanks. I'd like to bring a small gift for the 3-day tour guide but have no idea what to bring (heck, I'm not even sure if the guide is a man or woman). Guess I'll have to give it some thought.

I did know about the taxi doors...now I just have to try to remember that.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Bassettmom

I think you indicated on one of your posts that you have relatives in Japan. You might be interested (if you have time) to stop by the Overseas Migration Museum near the Yokohama Cruise Port Terminal (near the red brick warehouses). You can walk there from the terminal, but it's a long walk. It's not a big museum, but interesting to see for Japanese people that migrated to various parts of the world. The link is information about the museum:

https://en.japantravel.com/kanagawa/japanese-overseas-migration-museum0/6548

Bassettmom

I think you indicated on one of your posts that you have relatives in Japan. You might be interested (if you have time) to stop by the Overseas Migration Museum near the Yokohama Cruise Port Terminal (near the red brick warehouses). You can walk there from the terminal, but it's a long walk. It's not a big museum, but interesting to see for Japanese people that migrated to various parts of the world. The link is information about the museum:

https://en.japantravel.com/kanagawa/japanese-overseas-migration-museum0/6548

Thanks for the link; it sounds very interesting. I may try to make time to visit, even though it doesn't apply to my family. My mom, who is Japanese, married my dad, who was stationed there with the Air Force way back in the 50s, when marrying Japanese nationals was frowned on by the US Government. Their story is really facinating and I've always said it would make a good "love conquers all" movie. Since I'm half Japanese, I'm not issei or nisei, first and second generation Japanese immigrant, but I do enjoy reading about them, so the museum sounds like it would be worth checking out. Thanks again!

• 5 months later...

On our recent pre-cruise tours in Tokyo, I brought gifts of candy for hotel employees and our tour guides. I was told by a person, who lives in Japan, that edible gifts are appreciated since their living spaces are so small. Something to eat can be shared and does not take up space.

Presentation is important. I found candy that was packaged nicely and made sure to present it with both hands and a bow.

We did have one guide who hinted at a cash tip, so things might be changing.

Thanks. I'd like to bring a small gift for the 3-day tour guide but have no idea what to bring (heck, I'm not even sure if the guide is a man or woman). Guess I'll have to give it some thought.

I did know about the taxi doors...now I just have to try to remember that.

Thanks again.

I know that most of the Japanese that come to Alaska seem to love baseball more than anything. Perhaps something baseball related? T-shirt from a team or some kind of memorabilia?

We always give a small gift when we have spent time with the volunteer goodwill guides.

Always something very small and practical as their homes are very small and compact compared to our homes.eg set of pen, magnet, keyring etc.

With the goodwill guide we communicate by email prior and I have been able to enquire if they had children/grandchildren and ages and have taken small 6 inches or so koala/kangaroos when appropriate.

I have tried to round up with taxis sometimes it is only 10 or 20 yen and the drivers have followed me down the road to insist on giving my change. Happened so many times I just gave up and accepted the change.

I typically recommend something representative of where you are from. If you run out, you can always get something like a keychain or magnet from the ship's store. As a Californian, I often give small, seasonal boxes from See's Candies. A lot of Japanese men aren't big on sweets, though. Recently I bought a lot of different things from Trader Joe's for some Japanese friends and then let them choose what they wanted. Items that were popular were the unique flavored loose teas, maple syrup and gourmet hot chocolate. Hope that helps. I try to aim for the US$5-10 range. Hope that helps!

Yes, yes, yes! A gift is the kindest and most thoughtful way to thank someone that has helped you or done something for you in Japan. You will not only have expressed your thanks effectively and in keeping with culture and traditions, you won’t cause any offense as could happen by offering money (not thankful) and better still, you could potentially leave with something greater; a new friend.

There is almost always something interesting about everyone’s hometown - big or small, especially when you meet someone new. Whether it’s a landmark, sports team (pro, semi pro, school) theater, natural resource, local hero a small item can tell that story to someone overseas. It’s worked very well for me as a guest through the years and it’s what I appreciate most when people visit me.

Japan has a history centuries longer than American history and while sharing culture is one of the best reasons to travel, forcing our culture on another culture so well established and proud is something to honor and celebrate just as we do with our own culture. Like a smile, the way to get one is to give one. They’re priceless :)