New England: What are the "must see's"?

alaskaboy2

My bride and I are taking our adults kids and their spouses (and then-18 month old grand baby) on our first family cruise on Royal Caribbean. We're stopping at Portland and Bar Harbor, ME, Halifax and St. John.

My knees are not great so climbing and walking long distances aren't optimal.

Given the knees and the baby, looking for your advice on the "must see's" for those locations. I've been thinking about renting a van in Halifax and just doing our own tour (good idea or not?).

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Halifax we did a schooner tour of the harbor with wine and cheese. With baby, probably not a good match. Touring on your own there, go to the Citadel and the Maritime Museum to see the Titanic and the Halifax Explosion exhibits.

Portland is a walking town (home town). However, the cobbles and brick sidewalks suffer from Maine winters, so are a bit uneven. Strollers are fine, depending on how far you can walk, it may be doable. Most things downtown are within a mile of the terminal.

I've posted before about what to see in Portland, search back a few pages for threads that mention "things to do in Portland", or search some of my old posts. Portland is a very foodie town, lots of great restaurants in the Old Port area (adjacent to the terminal). Without knowing what your interests are, I can't be too specific.

Many want to spend the time traveling to Cape Elizabeth to see the Portland Head Light lighthouse (the most photographed lighthouse in US), but my suggestion is to get up about 30-45 minutes prior to docking, and you'll see the Head Light from an unusual perspective: from the sea. The ship passes fairly close by, and pictures are quiet nice from this perspective.

Bar Harbor, we took a bus tour of Acadia National Park, but it was typical Maine weather, and so foggy, we couldn't really see anything from Cadillac Mountain. We also took another schooner sail, and saw some wildlife and the islands of the bay. Bar Harbor is a small town, Acadia is the real draw.

Be glad to answer any questions regarding Portland.

Halifax we did a schooner tour of the harbor with wine and cheese..

Cheng - you are my hero! This sounds like something my mom would love to do (among other things). How long was the tour and what company did you go with? Yeah, we'll be on a cruise, but seeing things from the water is so different than from land.

I'll have to look for your other posts on what to do in Portland. I posted on another thread about an idea that I had and now I have to see if it can be done. :)

Thank you for all your help!!!!

Well, it was a decade ago, but it was an NCL tour. I think it was 2 hours or so. It looks like the Silva is the only tall ship in Halifax now, but there may be others I haven't seen. They usually offer for you to help with the sails or not, as you desire.

There are a couple of schooner cruises in Portland as well.

Hi,

I've been on this itinerary a few times. Here are some thoughts:

Halifax is great, and there are lots of things to do for different interests. They have a Hop On Hop Off bus that makes a number of stops. The last time we went, we did that and got off at the Citadel, and then went down to the Maritime Museum. Both are very interesting. A lot of people like Peggy's Cove - but that's the problem. A LOT of people like Peggy's Cove. It's pretty, but usually very crowded. There is a very nice public garden in town. If anyone is a Titanic fan, there is an excellent exhibit in the Maritime Museum and a cemetery you can visit where several of the victims are buried. Their gravestones are laid out in a pattern like the bow of a ship. You can find all sorts of souvenirs right inside the cruise terminal. Lots of vendors with a variety of products.

St. John is a really nice place. I'm really fond of their indoor city market. All sorts of vendors selling fruit, vegetables, meat, fish, and souvenirs. A couple of places to get lunch, too. St. John has very steep hills, so walking could be a challenge, BUT there is a building about 2 blocks (level ground) from the cruise dock with a series of escalators that will take you up to the top of the hill where the market and city park are. Besides not having to hike up a steep hill, being inside protects you from rain or cold. There are also some shops and restaurants in the building as you go up, including a Tim Horton's. If you've never been, Timmie's is like Dunkin' Donuts, only better, and with more variety.

In Bar Harbor, you should really try to visit Acadia National Park. It does often get foggy, but when it is clear, it's really beautiful.

Portland is very nice. The ships dock right near downtown. We did an excursion last time where we went out on a boat and they showed us lobster pots and taught us a few things about lobster fishing. The first time we went, we visited the Portland Head Light. It's very pretty. If you're into lighthouses, you want to see both that and Peggy's Cove in Halifax. If you really like lobster, you can get it in every one of the ports. This is going to sound odd, but don't assume you'll get it on the ship. Sometimes the lobster on the ship is sourced from Miami, and is Caribbean lobster!

You can rent a car in any of the ports. Usually right near the cruise dock.

One reminder: Don't forget to keep track of the time! Some ships change to Atlantic Time in Canada, and back to Eastern when they are in Maine, and some don't. You need to make sure you are back for the ship's all aboard time. If the ship stays on Eastern time, remember that the Noon gun (at the Citadel in Halifax) will be fired off at 11 o'clock Eastern time.

I hope this helps, and that you have a great time, whatever you choose to do.:)

Hi,

I've been on this itinerary a few times.......snip.....

You can rent a car in any of the ports. Usually right near the cruise dock.

While this is true for most ports of call, the Enterprise Rent-a-Car and Hertz agencies for Bar Harbor are located at the Hancock County/Bar Harbor Airport which is about 13 miles from the tender dock.

You will have to get transportation to/from the agency or arrange with the agency to pick you up and drop you off. The travel times involved in getting the rental will reduce your touring time.

SBtS

My bride and I are taking our adults kids and their spouses (and then-18 month old grand baby) on our first family cruise on Royal Caribbean. We're stopping at Portland and Bar Harbor, ME, Halifax and St. John.

My knees are not great so climbing and walking long distances aren't optimal.

Given the knees and the baby, looking for your advice on the "must see's" for those locations. I've been thinking about renting a van in Halifax and just doing our own tour (good idea or not?).

Appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

As a native Mainah , I can recommend the Duck Boat tour of Portland and the bus tour of Acadia National Park for your stops in our great State.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With such a large group and issues regarding walking, you might want to rent a car at some of the ports or ride the hop-on hop-off bus, where one is available. Some of the smaller New England towns, like Bar Harbor, might be OK to explore on foot. Keep in mind that Bar Harbor (for example) is a tender port.

https://cruiseports.ca/america/