Flu shot(s) before upcoming cruise?

Europeantraveler1

I tend to advocate "discuss with your doc" but heremis my 2 cents worth.

Before yout shot, take a tylonel (if tolerated) and in Canada, they recommend you use it for first 24 hours. I often use it for 48 and if arm is sore, up to 72.

Boss just came home from a cruise and despite the flu shot, caught the flu. Fever, chills for 5 days, but once fever subsided, almost normal.

As stated, though no guaranteed 'no flu', but definitely faster recovery with the flu shot.

I also cannot believe you visit the care facility not properly immunized.

I usually get my flu shot (yes every year since I got the flu in 1987 and wouldn't wish it on anyone) in October but knowing I was going on an Adriatic and Med cruise in September and would be around people from other parts of the world and they sometimes have flu floating around in their countries well before it hits the US, I made sure to get the shot two weeks before our departure. Better safe than sorry. Get the shot and have a great cruise. Linda

my DH and I both had the flu shot, we do every year and this year we both got flu, 10-14 days of which 6-8 were in bed followed by a continuing cough and chest infections.

Saying all that, I would still get it - having worked in healthcare for the last 10 years we found that any protection is better than not

I also cannot believe you visit the care facility not properly immunized.

Agreed. Here at our hospitals, you cannot even enter if you have not had a flu shot (or, you MUST wear a mask). I would hope and almost assume that all senior care facilities would be the same, but I suppose not. :(

Edited by Langley Cruisers

Agreed. Here at our hospitals, you cannot even enter if you have not had a flu shot (or, you MUST wear a mask). I would hope and almost assume that all senior care facilities would be the same, but I suppose not. :(

I agree they should require all visittors be vaccinnated but how do they know who has had the shot and who has not? Trust in the responder' s honesty?

I want to thank everyone for their input and I am glad to report my husband and I DID get our flu shots...the HIGH DOSE vaccine , no less!!

Hoping all of you stay healthy!!! Happy sailing!!

Excellent! The best decision you could make. Enjoy your cruise!

I want to thank everyone for their input and I am glad to report my husband and I DID get our flu shots...the HIGH DOSE vaccine , no less!!

Hoping all of you stay healthy!!! Happy sailing!!

They are giving all seniors 65 or 70 and over the high dose vaccine. I think they did last year as well.

VERY good news you made a good choice. STAY Healthy and have a wonderful cruise.

See your physician.

We always get a flu shot whether or not we are traveling/cruising.

We get them as soon as they come out and realize that flu season begins in October and it takes a week or two for the immunities to build up.

Yes, this year it was less effective but we still get it.

Keith

I would be more concerned about flying where just one person with the flu could easily spread it to everyone on the plane. Lots of good advice here. The shot is always 30-50% effective, not 100% but it’s something. Get it now so it can do its thing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums