Maui Questions

emarismom

I keep going back and forth on what to do in Maui. We will be on the POA in June so will have two days in port. We will be renting a car for both days. The first day we are doing the Road to Hana. The second day I am debating between:

Option one - driving to Haleakala Crater, Maui Tropical Plantation and then the Iao State Park

Option two- Iao State Park, Tropical Plantation, Lahaina, and Kaanapali Beach

Would it be a big mistake to miss Haleakala Crater? We will be seeing the craters at Diamond Head and Volcano National Park. I am not sure that I want to spend so much time in the car on both days.

The road to Hana is very doable all the way around- it’s a myth that the roads after Hana are too rough. We’ve done it in a Dodge Minivan, Jeep, and another time in a little Honda Fit. Absolutely zero issues with any of them.

Would definitely opt for a beach day- Hana is a long day in the car. You’re not going to want to wake up at the crack of dawn the next day and pile back into the car. You’ll have similar experiences at the others- Volcano Ntl Park is active and much more “volcanoey” than Haleakala which is dormant and feels more like a big mountain.

Bottom line is that Hana followed by Haleakala means you’ll spend more time getting acquainted with your rental car than with Maui itself. Do yourself a big favor and hit the beach. Napili is nice and much more of a local flavor- Kaanapali has bigger hotels and a bit more to do. Both are very nice.

Great suggestions. We have a rental car in Maui as well and are trying to decide what we want to do.

I think we want to check out the plantation and then head to Lahaina and check out the beaches. I also hope to see the Iao needle. Second day I think we will just do a little bit along the Hana Highway.

One of our friends downloaded some app that gave us a guided tour through the cell phone along the Road to hana. It was great. I think the app is like $4.99 Well worth it. Using GPS the thing knew where we were & gave us insights we would have missed

Would it be a big mistake to miss Haleakala Crater? We will be seeing the craters at Diamond Head and Volcano National Park. I am not sure that I want to spend so much time in the car on both days.

Frankly - YES! You would be making a HUGE mistake - Haleakala has some of the most amazing views in Hawaii. You should stop at ALL viewpoints on the way up and down.

Diamond head - a nice hike and great views of Waikiki but the actual crater view simply does not compare to Haleakala.

Volcano National Park - another must do BUT that is because it is an actual live volcano. Once again the views are completely different from Haleakala.

All 3 of theses craters are completely different.

Haleakala

https://www.bikemaui.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/haleakala-crater-1.jpg

Kilauea - Volcano National Park

https://d0bb9bb29a4a152db5cb-2fd7b88453b021537812277c8c433fcb.ssl.cf1.rackcdn.com/1759/1/large.jpg

Diamond Head

http://www.explorationhawaii.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DiamondHead_Panorama01.jpg

BTW - it is definitely NOT essential to view Haleakala at Dawn or Sunset - - the views are spectacular at any time.

Many car rentals won't allow you to take their vehicles on the Road to Hana...it is a rough road. The full transit does take ALL DAY!

It was an insurance issue and a lot of that has been revised and relaxed. The road itself is just unpaved past the Seven Sacred Pools (worth a visit) and fairly tame- not at all off roading. You get back to a paved road fairly quickly for the remainder of the drive. The roads are a lot less congested once you’re past Hana and it’s a much more pleasant drive.

Now the northern road past Kapalua- that is rough, dangerous, and lives up to its reputation. But the road past Hana is some of the best driving on the island and can be accomplished in basically any sort of car- don’t let people talk you out of it.

Many car rentals won't allow you to take their vehicles on the Road to Hana...it is a rough road. The full transit does take ALL DAY!

It’s good to confirm what’s in the car rental agreement but have never seen one prohibiting driving the paved RTH.

Beyond Oheo Gulch (AKA 7 Sacred Pools but nothing sacred with many more than 7 pools) then yes on that portion of the road. Even if allowed it’s a more isolated area which could result in long delays to get assistance. Also check road conditions because sections of the road along the coast periodically get washed out. And the area is mostly barren windswept terrain with rough ocean conditions...in other words there’s not much scenic & it’s vastly different than the RTH rainforest.

emarismom...I’d recommend a beach day on day two to enjoy some relaxation instead of too much seen from your car. The South Maui area (Kihei, Wailea, Makena) is about half the drive with less traffic as to the West Maui area (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Napili, Kapalua). There are great beaches between Wailea & Makena and south of Makena is an area containing the most recent lava from the late 1700s.

If shopping, more dining options & more developed beaches is your preference then West Maui would be best. The previously mentioned Gazebo at Napili Shores condo is great for breakfast but has limited seating capacity & often has a line. If a shorter drive with less traffic going to some less developed beaches & seeing lava is what you prefer then South Maui would be best. If going to South Maui you could still easily visit the Central Maui area (Kahului & Wailuku) to visit the Tropical Plantation, Iao Valley or even the Maui Ocean Center aquarium in Ma’alaea.

Just some suggestions based on my decades as a Maui visitor & resident. However no one can tell you what are your mo bettah options for your visit to the beautiful Valley Isle of Maui. :D

Astro Flyer,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. From looking at a map, I thought that the Lahania and Kaanapali area would be a shorter drive than the South Maui area. I did not map quest that route. In what order would you do those sites? Should I head straight for the South Maui beaches, then go to the plantation, then Iao state park? Or should I do it in the reverse order? Generally I prefer going straight to the furthest point and working my way back towards the ship to be nearer to the ship later in the day.

Astro Flyer,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply. From looking at a map, I thought that the Lahania and Kaanapali area would be a shorter drive than the South Maui area. I did not map quest that route. In what order would you do those sites? Should I head straight for the South Maui beaches, then go to the plantation, then Iao state park? Or should I do it in the reverse order? Generally I prefer going straight to the furthest point and working my way back towards the ship to be nearer to the ship later in the day.

You’re welcome...Hawaii & cruising are two of my favorite subjects. ;)

When checking Google Maps request directions to get the current travel time because it’s further & slower to West Maui. In the rare case with no traffic to West Maui it’s at least 45 minutes. However traffic is routine on that 2 lane road which can double the drive time. They’re building a Lahaina bypass road which based on reports I’ve read has not improved the traffic. And there’s no other good route so if there’s an accident, brush fire (yes, we have these on the drier leeward sides of islands) or a rock slide the road to West Maui can be closed for hours. Not trying to scare anyone but at least there are 2 usable routes to South Maui which is another advantage of going there.

Maui beaches are generally best early in the day because beginning by noon the tradewinds increase resulting in some blowing sand & choppy water conditions. That’s great for windsurfing but not for enjoying the beach & ocean.

Thus I’d recommend going first to the beach before other places you want to visit. Some of the beaches have outdoor showers to wash off sand & salt water and some have porta potty‘s or indoor toilets.

Then if you want to view the most recent lava flow on Maui you could go there. However since you’ll visit VNP near Hilo that’s probably not a high priority in Maui.

You would drive past the Tropical Planatation en route to Iao Valley so would recommend stopping there before Iao Valley. The severe Iao Valley flooding about 16 months ago eroded areas along the stream resulting in some closures. The last I read repairs are continuing so search for the status before going there. Both of these locations could be visited in an afternoon if you decide to go to the beach in the morning. If you let me know what you want to do at the beach, I could probably offer a few suggestions on which might be your best option.

Following that route would be a loop without backtracking ending in Kahului where the POA docks. :)

Astro Flyer always has good ideas, and you are wise to use his knowledge. Just a suggestion, but if you do go to the beaches in South Maui but aren't terribly smitten with doing the Tropical Plantation or Iao Valley (both get their fair share of tourist crowds) afterwards, give a thought to going Upcountry for the afternoon. Good roads, beautiful views, goat farm, lavender farm, vodka manufacturer, art galleries, country stores, even elk and lamb burgers served al fresco next to the winery, etc. - and not that far away - nor as tourist populated.

I agree with Silver Sweethearts that her Upcountry area would be more interesting than the Tropical Plantation & Iao Valley. Upcountry is about midway up Haleakala & is a lush green & cooler area with great views of Maui from less crowded areas. Everything she suggested would be good ways to enjoy Upcountry.

We rented a car for the two days in Maui (a convertable with Thrifty) We bought the Gypsy App for all the islands. Very helpful and informative. Our first day we drove the road to Hana. We stopped many times including a small trail hike at black sand beach. We went as far as the 7 sacred pools, doing a small trail hike there too. We packed a lunch from the buffet (sandwiches , fruit) . We were back at airport to park the car by 4:30 before dark . An 8 hour day.

Day two we were in car by 8 and off to Haleakala . For us this was our highlight of the entire week. It was a clear morning and the views were absolutely stunning . We did a nice hike called "sliding Sands" inside the crater. Totally different than the other craters, wanted to do things that we would not see elsewhere. We drove back down and drove to Hookipa beach to watch the surfers ,having picnic lunch from the lunch we made from the ship ( from home brought zip lock bags and insulated lunch bag and would make sandwiches (sand which station during morning buffet on POA) would get another bag filled with ice to keep lunch cold) .

Had plenty of time to drop car off at airport and back to the ship.

Miss our Hawaii vacation .

Silver Sweethearts,

I thought that the upcountry area would be a long drive, am I wrong in thinking that? Will the lavender be in bloom in June? I would love to see that.

Our computer says about half an hour rather scenic drive from Kahului to the Lavender Farm itself, and we think that is a fair estimate. It's about 15-20 minutes from Kahului to our home just below Kula, and another 15 minutes to the Lavender Farm sounds right. You may want to explore along the way though or afterwards, and you can come back down on a different road (such as past the goat farm and the vodka distillery for instance) if you wish. From what we read, the majority of the lavender blooms in spring and summer, so that should be good for you. Check the website "Alii Lavender Farm". You might also check out Surfing Goat Dairy, Ocean Vodka, Ulupalakua Ranch Store (and the winery too), Makawao, Holy Ghost Church, etc.

If going to the Maui Winery in Ulapalakua, when it was a ranch in the 1800s the location was visited by notable people such as King Kalākaua and his wife, Queen Kapi’olani and Robert Louis Stevenson.

Once when visiting the octagonal Holy Ghost Church (over 120 years old founded by Portuguese immigrants) in Kula the smell of freshly baked Portuguese Sweet Bread (now marketed as Hawaiian Sweet Bread) was in the air. They were baking them in the adjacent church building for a Sunday church fundraiser. Thankfully they sold us a couple of loaves...they were great!

So much good info on this thread. I would like to recommend one of my favorites for food... Coconuts Fish Cafe in Kihei if you are going to eat in or take a pic nic to the beach. They have a web site where you can look at their menu. There is a Long's Drug (I think it is Longs) nearby where you can purchase beverages that may not be available to take out at Coconuts. Because I hate leaving the beach I would do the other stops first and spend most of my time enjoying a beach day but understand why Astro Flyer recommends the opposite approach. I hope you will let us know what you decide because I know it will be helpful to others. Have a great time. Cherie

Okay so now you have really complicated my plans;p. What if I head directly towards Haleakala and only spend a short time, then explore the upcountry area and do a drive by at the beaches. (We live in Miami and have traveled the Caribbean extensively so beaches are not a priority. We will also spend time at the beach in Waikiki.) Skip the Plantation and go to IAO if time permits. We are more interested in scenery and possibly a hike than we are in shopping or commercial areas.

Okay so now you have really complicated my plans;p. What if I head directly towards Haleakala and only spend a short time, then explore the upcountry area and do a drive by at the beaches. (We live in Miami and have traveled the Caribbean extensively so beaches are not a priority. We will also spend time at the beach in Waikiki.) Skip the Plantation and go to IAO if time permits. We are more interested in scenery and possibly a hike than we are in shopping or commercial areas.

So much to do...so little time. ;p

Although having 2 days you’ll have more time than on other cruise ships. :D

Since time at the beach isn’t a priority there are other options for you to decide which are your best ones & I think that your proposed plan is doable.

We enjoy Coconuts in Kihei & Longs Drugs is across the street. However I don’t think freshly cooked Coconuts food (mostly fish) would do well for a picnic.

Earlier in this thread it was posted that they took food from the POA and stored it a container they brought & added ice. Since the POA sails exclusively in Hawaii apparently that’s allowed which is not permitted on other cruises. Princess repeatedly informs passengers that US agricultural regulations prohibit “bringing any fruit, vegetables, flowers, plants, meats or dairy products into our ports“ & that violators can pay a heavy fine.

Okay so now you have really complicated my plans;p. What if I head directly towards Haleakala and only spend a short time, then explore the upcountry area and do a drive by at the beaches...Skip the Plantation and go to IAO if time permits. We are more interested in scenery and possibly a hike than we are in shopping or commercial areas.

This is strictly our opinion, but to spend "a short time" at Haleakala (what do you want to do there with that time?), explore Upcountry, go over to South Maui's beaches and then to Iao Valley is perhaps doable, but a bit much to do it all justice in the time you will have. Upcountry is fun for some people, but not active enough for others. Everything is up to your own tastes. You could skip South Maui since you say you've seen beaches, and the Plantation could be skipped too. Iao Valley may be busy on Sunday, but if you do it on Monday and most everything is back up and running by then, you should enjoy the area. Bottom line is (and you may have done this already) google each area and see what you want to do most - and won't see on any other island. What will give you the most pleasing memories of Maui?

If I'm not mistaken entering the National Park...Haleakala has changed to a reservation system you. Napili Bay is worth your time, get there early for parking and the pancakes...I've driven the island in a figure eight, not recommend, amazing yes. Look up "Aloha Stoked" on Facebook or YouTube Kalani Prince a local has done some short, simple videos from Maui. He also does some FB live steams weekly at sunset...it can be amazing. I'll also add, car prowls can and have been a problem in Maui. Common since says keeps you docs on your body and everything out of site, smash and grab takes minutes...

Sent from my iPad using Forums