Deluxe Beverage Package LOS Embarkation Day

Sailing from Galveston in a few weeks and purchased the Deluxe beverage package online. New to Royal Caribbean. The state of Texas apparently has some weird alcohol rules. I remember on Carnival that passengers could not use their unlimited beverage packages until day two. Does anyone have experience with being permitted to use their package upon embarkation? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing from Galveston in a few weeks and purchased the Deluxe beverage package online. New to Royal Caribbean. The state of Texas apparently has some weird alcohol rules. I remember on Carnival that passengers could not use their unlimited beverage packages until day two. Does anyone have experience with being permitted to use their package upon embarkation? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we did that in 2016 (and will again this March). You can use your beverage package, but the choices are limited. I will search for the list, but if memory serves me correctly it was a handful of beers and basically a house selection of each type of liquor. (and it ended that evening when we got out to sea)

You can use the package, but there are restrictions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54708316&postcount=4

We got the deluxe package last February on Liberty. We all got the drinks we wanted immediately after getting on board. They told us that their was restrictions until we got out to international waters. Wasn't a big deal to any of us.. We still had a drink in hand 5 minutes after boarding!

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

I know no one knew how to explain it to me they said they restocked in Galveston and not all the bars had picked up their supply then I got two different stories

The ship must sell Texas stamped alcohol, and they purchase a limited supply. In fact, one time we were delayed leaving Galveston and they ran out of beer. Not a happy place.

I was told in the R Bar and Olive or Twist they can’t give limes. Never ordered at the Schooner on first day though.

Is this some sort of Texas agricultural thing? I know when we cruised out of California, we could not take food on deck until we were some certain distance out to sea.

Limited brands (mostly middle-of-the-road stuff) until you’re 12 miles out. Most effect is on drinks requiring splashes of more low volume liquors. But on a seven day cruise, the wait for the complete assortment is a fraction of your vacation.

Just be aware that if you bring anything back, either from a port or the ship’s shop, there will be a Texas revenue guy at the pier to collect the state tax, even if you’re within the U.S. limit. Hardly worth the guy’s salary to station him there, but what else would he do that day.

And no limes or olives. You can get a Vodka Tonic but it won’t have a lime in it.

Just talked to my sister she lives in Galveston and sails Carnival only she says she has never heard of anything like this so its not a state thing just a RCL thing,:mad: th limes that is, Carnival has the alcohol thing too.

Just talked to my sister she lives in Galveston and sails Carnival only she says she has never heard of anything like this so its not a state thing just a RCL thing,:mad: th limes that is, Carnival has the alcohol thing too.

Which would you rather be kept away from - limes or booze? ;)