Talk to me about Rxs

Cabron

I stick up on retin-a. Been using it for years and my insurance will no longer cover it. I will also stock up on restasis if I can find it. Once again, prescribed my doctor, but my insurance stopped covering it.

I don't think insurance companies should be able to dictate, or stop covering, meds my doctor prescribes me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Most RX coverage can be tailored to the particular prescriptions you are most likely to need. There are very few not covered at all.

Most RX coverage can be tailored to the particular prescriptions you are most likely to need. There are very few not covered at all.

Sorry but you are wrong. We have page after page in our prescription drug list booklet from our insurance company that are not covered. The list gets longer year after year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Tell that to my employer...

My asthma med went from being a $65 co-pay per month up to off-the-list and $350/month. And, there is no generic available for it for substitution.

I only take what I need. If it looks like I will run out before I get back and I can't live a few days without it. I will go ahead and get it filled. I makes sure I have my headache medicine but I use over the counter. If you let the pharmacy know you are going out of town and you will run out while you are gone, in my experience they have filled the prescription for me before I left.

I only take what I need. If it looks like I will run out before I get back and I can't live a few days without it. I will go ahead and get it filled. I makes sure I have my headache medicine but I use over the counter. If you let the pharmacy know you are going out of town and you will run out while you are gone, in my experience they have filled the prescription for me before I left.

The pharmacy doesn't fill it because of insurance issues. They don't care if you get the prescription as long as you pay for it.

The insurance only covers so much. If you are willing to pay for your medication it isn't a problem. We were taking a cruise where I ran out of the medicine during the cruise. They wouldn't give it to me until it was due. The problem was it was one of those where you have X amount of doses. I explained to the insurance company that I would be on a cruise when it ran out. The idiot clerk still said it would be filled and they would send it to me. I explained to her that it would be a sea day when I ran out and then asked who in their company was going to swim to the ship to deliver my medication when it was due to fill.

She explained to me that that wasn't how it worked. I explained to her that the prescription was for 50 (can't remember the exact amount) and was per-packaged. They told me to me they would be for the 10 I would need. I asked how I would do that since it can't be sold that way. It was packed for a month's supply - period. It wasn't like you were taking blood pressure medicine and the pharmacy could give you the 10 you needed.

Finally, and I mean finally, I was given to a supervisor after many requests for one. Even the pharmacy asked for a supervisor with no luck. By now this conversation had gone on for over half an hour. The supervisor finally agreed to fill my prescription early, It's all about the money baby. I just remember this prescription was a lot of money, like well over $300 a month. Eventually she got it. Heavy sigh. I left with the new packaging.

The pharmacy doesn't fill it because of insurance issues. They don't care if you get the prescription as long as you pay for it. The insurance only covers so much. If you are willing to pay for your medication it isn't a problem.

We were taking a cruise where I ran out of the medicine during the cruise. They wouldn't give it to me until it was due. The problem was it was one of those where you have X amount of doses. I explained to the insurance company that I would be on a cruise when it ran out. The idiot clerk still said it would be filled and they would send it to me. I explained to her that it would be a sea day when I ran out and then asked who in their company was going to swim to the ship to deliver my medication when it was due to fill.

She explained to me that that wasn't how it worked. I explained to her that the prescription was for 60 doses and was per-packaged. They told me they would give me enough for the 10 days I would need. I asked how I would do that since it can't be sold that way. It was packed for a month's supply - period. It wasn't like you were taking blood pressure medicine and the pharmacy could give you the 10 you needed. Finally, and I mean finally, I was given to a supervisor after many requests for one. Even the pharmacy asked for a supervisor with no luck.

By now this conversation had gone on for over half an hour. The supervisor finally agreed to fill my prescription early, It's all about the money baby. I just remember this prescription was a lot of money, like well over $300 a month. Eventually she got it. Heavy sigh. I left with my prescription filled. Again, I forget the medication but it was something like a pen injection.

The pharmacy doesn't fill it because of insurance issues. They don't care if you get the prescription as long as you pay for it.

The insurance only covers so much. If you are willing to pay for your medication it isn't a problem. We were taking a cruise where I ran out of the medicine during the cruise. They wouldn't give it to me until it was due. The problem was it was one of those where you have X amount of doses. I explained to the insurance company that I would be on a cruise when it ran out. The idiot clerk still said it would be filled and they would send it to me. I explained to her that it would be a sea day when I ran out and then asked who in their company was going to swim to the ship to deliver my medication when it was due to fill.

She explained to me that that wasn't how it worked. I explained to her that the prescription was for 50 (can't remember the exact amount) and was per-packaged. They told me to me they would be for the 10 I would need. I asked how I would do that since it can't be sold that way. It was packed for a month's supply - period. It wasn't like you were taking blood pressure medicine and the pharmacy could give you the 10 you needed.

Finally, and I mean finally, I was given to a supervisor after many requests for one. Even the pharmacy asked for a supervisor with no luck. By now this conversation had gone on for over half an hour. The supervisor finally agreed to fill my prescription early, It's all about the money baby. I just remember this prescription was a lot of money, like well over $300 a month. Eventually she got it. Heavy sigh. I left with the new packaging.

I am so sorry to here that. I have never had that issue when traveling and medication. Actually the pharmacy can code it under trip/vacation and it is up to the insurance company to approve it. Maybe it is different laws in different states. I just gave a suggestion on speaking with the pharmacy about it. I wouldn't ask to refill a prescription a month before it is due. I would go as close to the date I am leaving as possible and I never have to go through any of that.

• 7 months later...
Some of my American friends stock up on acetaminophen with codeine when they visit Canada. It is over-the-counter here but it needs a prescription in the U.S. I don't know if it's illegal for U.S. citizens to re-enter the country with it, without a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are certain drugs are not allowed in the US but widely available outside the US. I trust the FDA.

Anyone remember Thalidomide? :(

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/controversies/thalidomide.

Yes, I remember t he hearrtache and pain thalidomide caused but I thought it was prescribed and available in U.S. as well as other counrties, at the time.

do you take any on a cruise that are pre-filled? A doc prescribed me something (don't remember what) about 20 years ago in advance of a trip to the interior of Mexico. Had it filled but never needed it.

Do you pre-fill? If so, what?

What do you stock up on when visiting a pharmacy in a foreign country's port of call?

If my Dr gives me a Rx it's because he thinks I need it or might need it while I'm away from home. Why would I not get that prescription filled before I left home? What am I supposed to do with an unfilled prescription if I'm at sea when I need it? Or in a country that won't fill a foreign prescription? Or where I can't buy it over the counter in a foreign port?

I don't stock up on any prescription meds in foreign ports. Between our government and private insurance, my copay for all Rx is $100/year. The only OTC med that I stock up on in a foreign port is Bonine. Can't buy it in Canada, so I buy a couple of bottles every year or 2 when we're in the States.

Some of my American friends stock up on acetaminophen with codeine when they visit Canada. It is over-the-counter here but it needs a prescription in the U.S. I don't know if it's illegal for U.S. citizens to re-enter the country with it, without a prescription.

Yes it is.

Codeine is Schedule II in the United States. This means it is illegal to sell without a DEA license and illegal to buy or possess without a license or prescription. Products such as Tylenol II-IV, which contain less than 90 mg codeine per dosage unit, are Schedule III

FDA site:

Q: What should travelers and visitors know about bringing medications into the U.S.?

A: When you come to the United States with medications, you fall under the authority of FDA, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents operating the nation’s airports. There are varying restrictions, and different agencies may have other requirements or jurisdiction over a product. So check with each agency before you plan to travel with medications into the country.

In general, you should have with you a valid prescription or doctor’s note—written in English—to bring medication to the U.S. The medication should be in its original container with the doctor’s instructions printed on the bottle. If you don’t have the original container, bring a copy of your prescription or a letter from your doctor explaining your condition and why you need this medication. Travel with no more than you need for your personal use during your stay. A rule of thumb: Bring no more than a 90-day supply of medication.

CIPRO is a great antibiotic that you can get over the counter in Mexico. Kills about everything.

It's also a very powerful drug that can cause many different serious problems including diarrhea, increased sensitivity to sun, even tendon damage. I've just come off 2 separate 2 week courses of Cipro for a serious infection that will require surgery. I wouldn't recommend that anyone take it "just in case" or without having a physician explain all the possible side effects, review its interaction with any other medications you may be taking, and assessing the 'risk vs. benefit' on a case-by-case basis.

CIPRO is a great antibiotic that you can get over the counter in Mexico. Kills about everything.

Yes, you can get it OTC here in Mexico (for a higher price then many pay in the USA). However, Mexican Federal Law does require a prescription...although many pharmacies ignore the law. But, like any antibiotic, Cipro has some major down sides and should not be used by most folks without at least consulting with a physician.

And Cipro certainly does not kill "everything" as a friend of ours recently found when she had to be hospitalized (here in Mexico) after taking Cipro for a GI infection. And Cipro is certainly not a drug of choice for most respiratory infections. As a physician friend says, "armatures who prescribe drugs usually get armature results."

Hank

When I was traveling to a less-developed part of South America, my doctor gave me a prescription for Cipro, just in case I had digestive issues. Of course I filled the prescription before the trip. He gave instructions about under what circumstances to use it. Fortunately, it wasn't needed.

In some places, pharmacists can consult with patients and dispense medications that would require a prescription in the US. Walk in, describe your symptoms (can be interesting if there's a language barrier), and walk out with the treatment. Pharmacies in Italy don't have much available on the shelves for customers to select -- most things are behind the counter and require you to request it from the pharmacist, but that's not a difficult procedure.

It can be interesting experiencing the local medical system of other countries. It can be scary and unpleasant, but sometimes it can be pretty nice. In Belize, on the day before we were scheduled to fly out, my daughter was complaining of ear pain. We suspected an ear infection, and didn't want to fly out and subject her ear to the pressure change without having it looked at. So we went to a Belizean doctor. He was wonderful! He did scuba diving medicine, general stuff like my daughter's ear infection, and also did a lot of prenatal care and baby deliveries. I've forgotten exactly what he charged, but it was around $20.00 or so. The antibiotic we got had its instruction leaflet printed in Turkish. It took care of the problem, and the charge was small enough that we didn't worry about co-pays or insurance.

Cipro might be the last thing I'd take on a cruise, especially a Caribbean cruise. It can make you extremely sun sensitive. It's a really heavy-duty drug. Of course, I wouldn't be taking any random gray-market pills from a Mexican pharmacy, anyway, with no medical supervision.

Yes, I remember t he hearrtache and pain thalidomide caused but I thought it was prescribed and available in U.S. as well as other counrties, at the time.

Thalidomide never really came into use in pregnancy in the US like it did in Europe--thank the FDA for that. So while people with thalidomide-induced birth defects are seen in the UK, you basically never see them in the US. However, the drug's still used, like against multiple myeloma, and it can be an absolute wonder. Obviously, it's not for use in pregnant women, but it can be the only drug that works for some patients.

We take our prescriptions in their original bottles -- we fly and a few times TSA has checked our medical bag in my carry on.

Our doctor also gives us prescriptions in case we get sick on a cruise. They are automatically filled for us -- doctor faxes the medications over to our drug store. No taking paper prescriptions out of the country.

Also we would never think of buying any kind of medications in another country to bring home.

Thalidomide never really came into use in pregnancy in the US like it did in Europe--thank the FDA for that.

Specifically, thank Frances Oldham Kelsey, a Canadian-born US civil servant in the FDA who resisted the manufacturer's pressure to approve Thalidomide without adequate reliable scientific evidence of its safety. Kelsey was given the President's Award for Distinguished Federal Civilian Service in 1962.

This is a broad-reaching and interesting thread that certainly points to the vast difference between Rx insurance coverage, at least in the US.

It reminds me of the often repeated discussions I would have with prospective employees considering a faculty (or other) position on a California State University campus.

When those folks would bristle at the cost-of-living in the SF Bay Area, I'd pull out a calculator and explain the value of CalPERS benefits that, over the long haul, could have them taking home retirement pay that exceeded their highest salary (with COLA increases) AND provide what is among the best Medical/Dental/Rx coverage in the US.

With most generic drugs costing only a few dollars for a 3 month supply (and even many brand name meds deeply discounted) (not to mention supplemental coverage for Medicare recipients that fully covers international travel), there is little need for anyone with that coverage to seek out foreign pharmacies for "stocking up."

Certain other US states (e.g., New York) also have decent insurance for their employees. For "younger" CC readers: Don't just focus on salaries when looking at potential employment and/or relocation!

We take our prescriptions in their original bottles -- we fly and a few times TSA has checked our medical bag in my carry on.

Our doctor also gives us prescriptions in case we get sick on a cruise. They are automatically filled for us -- doctor faxes the medications over to our drug store. No taking paper prescriptions out of the country.

Also we would never think of buying any kind of medications in another country to bring home.

My doctors e-mail all Rx to my pharmacy during the appointment and it is often ready for pick up before I am ready to go get it. I alsways keep all x in pharmacfy bottles when I fly. At least once, I had the phar.m. bottles in a large zip lock at top of my carryon. TSA person wanted to check something they saw on x-ray (my jewelry). When she opened the carry on and saw the RX she said "good thing you have your pills in Pharm bottles or they could be confiscated." Yes, I know the what the TSA web site says but I do not wish to be the person standing at TSA arguing with them what they are 'supposed' to do wi th regard to pills. Who needs such unnecessa ry s tress? Not me. Why not take precaution to see to it your meds fly with you? It is easy enough. I would have to go home if they tossed my meds . I alwaya bring exttras with me and never bring only tthe exact number I Need.

If I dropped some, lost some, I would take my pharmacy paper work and bottle to a pharmacy in port. Feel it out a bit and if I am comfortable with it, I would buy replacement for use until I got home. I would try the shi'ps' infirmary first to see if they could sell me some of my very common meds in such an emergency.

I c ould be wrong but the only Rx I remember my docto rgiving me before a cruise for 'just in case' was Tamiflu. I have medic al history and doctor wanted me to have it avail able should I contract flu on the ship. The ship had some but they have a limited supply and my doctor did not want me to count on being able to get it in the infirmary.

Antibiotic s, we all know, are so over used and taken at times when they should not be. Why add to there resistent illnesses by using antibiotics which might be in appropriate for your c ondition?

Edited by sail7seas

Any Rx I've ever seen has an expiration date, FOR A REASON. Want to risk your health to a useless drug. Simple possession of ANY prescription drug outside of a properly marked container is illegal. The vast majority of pax return without inspection.

I won't bother get into the question of getting the actual drug from a foreign pharmacy in the first place.

I picked up Voltaren Gel in Mexico over the counter. The price difference between my prescription through United Healthcare and the over the counter was substantial. There was no difference in the size, dosage, or manufacturer. The only difference was the outside was in Spanish. It worked the same.

It's disingenuous to act like this is some big, illegal scandal when there are drug stores greeting you in the cruise line-built shopping promenades in Cozumel and Costa Maya.

If people were getting in "trouble" for it we'd see the posts.

Simple possession of ANY prescription drug outside of a properly marked container is illegal. [/b][/color]

Not in California. With the possible exception of narcotics, possession of a detailed "back panel" (I.e., med name, image and/or description, prescribing MD and your ID info) from your pharmacy is sufficient evidence of Rx if you prefer to use daily pill sorters.

It would never occur to me to ask for a prescription "just in case" something happens -- that's what I have travel medical insurance for. I do take OTC things just in case (ibuprophen, antihistamines), but I take those everywhere (in my purse) just in case. I probably wouldn't trust any drugs bought from tourist-focused pharmacies in a foreign country.....I don't believe they'd be harmful, but I would be worried they simply wouldn't work, in the same way I wouldn't trust that jewelry I bought in a tourist-focused dock-side store would really be worth what they claimed.