Is there a threshold to disclosing partial charter?

LMaxwell

I have been on cruises that had small groups; usually sales teams or groups of TA's, etc. They utilize a lounge during the day, maybe 2 or 3 areas for breakout sessions, and a lounge at night for their own functions, but usually not anything too intrusive or even noticeable to other guests. That's fine

I have never known about these groups before setting foot onboard the ship. But when I do read about larger groups with partial charters taking up entire dining times or evening theater entertainment being suspended for private functions I cringe, because I feel like people aren't being told there will be a group or a group of significant size.

Is there a threshold to disclosure to other guests about modified venue access / entertainment? At what point does a group need to become a full charter? I know there is a theme cruise site to check, but you can't easily search for a ship or date, you have to check each various theme to see.

Why would a cruise line tell you there will be a charter? So, you can cancel the cruise? That would be bad for business wouldn't it?

Boarding a ship and finding out certain times in the MDR are closed off entirely, or some nights there is no entertainment is bad business too, but I get it, I'm one cabin, not multiple.

No cruise line will disclose this unless they start buying back bookings, and even then it won't be a general announcement. Happens on every cruise line. I had a charter group of between 500 and 600 on the Splendour back in 2006 and there was never any official announcement, and since the internet was not nearly as savvy back then. Nobody knew.

It happens on every line all of the time.

JC

So we have sailed as a part of a large group once a year for the past 12 years. This group has been between 400 and 1100 (This was on Allure). I know that our groups presence has never been announced to the rest of the passengers prior to the cruise or once we have boarded. What I can tell you is that none of the cruise lines we have sailed have ever closed the MDR for us, yes we get a large section to dine in, but the rest of the guests have plenty of room to eat in the MDR as well.

The ships have never cancelled any entertainment for our groups, our group does reserve the main theater for our entertainment after the ships entertainment is over, usually around 11:30 pm.

The group also books smaller venues for private parties, but only during hours that the venue would not have been open to begin with.

They do book the entire pool deck for a pool side dance/ costume party once each cruise, but again it is at 11:30 or later and the pools are already closed.

I can not speak to any other large groups, but this is how the group we sail with books the large venues and their events.

Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

GOOGLE. IE:

"Freedom of the Seas January 22, 2018 group charter"

Good idea, thanks.

I agree with LMaxwell that there should be a threshold where if a charter will affect the ability to use venues and see shows, people should be advised and/or compensated with an opportunity to cancel, or have part of their cruise fare reduced or returned. They made an exchange of money for the use of the ship as it is advertised. If they shut down the venues and only let a select group of people use areas that were advertised for everyone, that is not a fair business deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good idea, thanks.

I agree with LMaxwell that there should be a threshold where if a charter will affect the ability to use venues and see shows, people should be advised and/or compensated with an opportunity to cancel, or have part of their cruise fare reduced or returned. They made an exchange of money for the use of the ship as it is advertised. If they shut down the venues and only let a select group of people use areas that were advertised for everyone, that is not a fair business deal.

Well, I certainly agree with you and L. However, you haven't: "... made an exchange of money for the use of the ship as it is advertised." Read the cruise contract.

The cruise line only promises that the ship will leave from somewhere, go somewhere else, and return you to another location that may or may not be the departure point. The cruise contract makes it quite clear that they do not promise those things that are "advertised". For example, the cruise line does not promise you that you can have dinner in the MDR. If you can get a sandwich at the buffet, the cruise line has fulfilled it's contract. The cruise line does not promise you a seat in the theater. It doesn't even promise that there will be a show there.

So we have sailed as a part of a large group once a year for the past 12 years. This group has been between 400 and 1100 (This was on Allure). I know that our groups presence has never been announced to the rest of the passengers prior to the cruise or once we have boarded. What I can tell you is that none of the cruise lines we have sailed have ever closed the MDR for us, yes we get a large section to dine in, but the rest of the guests have plenty of room to eat in the MDR as well.

The ships have never cancelled any entertainment for our groups, our group does reserve the main theater for our entertainment after the ships entertainment is over, usually around 11:30 pm.

The group also books smaller venues for private parties, but only during hours that the venue would not have been open to begin with.

They do book the entire pool deck for a pool side dance/ costume party once each cruise, but again it is at 11:30 or later and the pools are already closed.

I can not speak to any other large groups, but this is how the group we sail with books the large venues and their events.

Hope this helps!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately, not all groups work this way. The group organizer may wish to include exclusive activities to attract customers. For example, reserving the Crown Lounge (name depends on line) for their exclusive use while touring Glacier Bay. (Yes, that was reported.) In effect, a large enough group can negotiate any activities/locations they wish to enhance their abilities to sell the cruise/charter.

Well, I certainly agree with you and L. However, you haven't: "... made an exchange of money for the use of the ship as it is advertised." Read the cruise contract.

The cruise line only promises that the ship will leave from somewhere, go somewhere else, and return you to another location that may or may not be the departure point. The cruise contract makes it quite clear that they do not promise those things that are "advertised". For example, the cruise line does not promise you that you can have dinner in the MDR. If you can get a sandwich at the buffet, the cruise line has fulfilled it's contract. The cruise line does not promise you a seat in the theater. It doesn't even promise that there will be a show there.

Ah, point taken. You’re right, and in that case, RC unfortunately doesn’t have to offer any compromise to the other passengers. I would be pretty irritated though if venues I wanted to use were made exclusive to some other group, though I think I would have to be inconvenienced pretty heavily before it made me really mad. I tend to go with the flow and am pretty flexible when things don’t go ”my way,” but I would definitely prefer to know ahead of time and would likely avoid any cruise I knew was a charter that would be taking over and closing down venues.

Ah, point taken. You’re right, and in that case, RC unfortunately doesn’t have to offer any compromise to the other passengers. I would be pretty irritated though if venues I wanted to use were made exclusive to some other group, though I think I would have to be inconvenienced pretty heavily before it made me really mad. I tend to go with the flow and am pretty flexible when things don’t go ”my way,” but I would definitely prefer to know ahead of time and would likely avoid any cruise I knew was a charter that would be taking over and closing down venues.

And, that's exactly why they won't make that information public. They know customers would avoid those cruises. Very bad for business.