Remove sofa from Verandah?

DSJ28

I wonder why cruise ship cabins don't come with Murphy beds so you can have more room in the cabin during the day? Possibility of them getting loose and falling down in rough seas?

Imagine the court case.

But if that could be overcome while keeping the price down and making the bed comfortable it’d be great.

Yes - a more spacious cabin would be lovely. We have booked suites in the past, but this time it wasn't an option. We're happy with what we have - just looking at the options. I had no doubt that booking a more spacious cabin would result in having more space - but thanks for responding.

Look out for last minute suite offers or rooms like family verandas....not usually available for two guests to book until last minute. If one came up it would provide you with great additional space.

I think it would be a nightmare for the cruiseline if people were allowed to configure their own cabin. The cabin stewards would be spending so much of their valuable time just moving and re-arranging furniture. If it's okay for one passenger then it should be okay for everyone. You have a terrific attitude and I'll bet that you won't let this little inconvenience impact your enjoyment of your cruise. I sincerely hope you and your friend have a wonderful time!

I think it would be a nightmare for the cruiseline if people were allowed to configure their own cabin. The cabin stewards would be spending so much of their valuable time just moving and re-arranging furniture. If it's okay for one passenger then it should be okay for everyone. You have a terrific attitude and I'll bet that you won't let this little inconvenience impact your enjoyment of your cruise. I sincerely hope you and your friend have a wonderful time!

Thanks!! We're going to have a blast!!! Cruise Critic is the place to vet these ideas - I'm glad I did. Despite a few um... interesting... responses. I think this will be our 4th Celebrity cruise and each one has been magical.

Well this is Celebrity not Carnival, please avoid trying to mix the water with the oil.
Not sure how this is helpful. I think we all know what cruise line is under discussion here. I enjoy both and I'm not confusing or mixing them at all. I had a good experience that I thought might be transferable - evidently it's not... no problem.

Look out for last minute suite offers or rooms like family verandas....not usually available for two guests to book until last minute. If one came up it would provide you with great additional space.

I will be on the lookout. I do have a little money set aside in case an opportunity comes my way. Thanks for your response.

I was on Regal Princess veranda cabin last October. There were two vanity spaces in the cabin, an armless chair for one vanity and a small table with another chair. It got very crowded constantly having to move the larger chair.

I finally picked it up and placed it in the open closet space opposite the bathroom. This made the cabin seem a lot larger and we still had the chair to pile stuff on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Little things like that can make a big difference. Thanks for sharing. I think some people are wired to not even think of changing anything around in the room - there' s nothing wrong with that. I look at the cabin and think about what i can do that will add to my enjoyment of the space and the cruise - there's nothing wrong with that either. I've picked up some nice tips on this thread... removing the table... creating a 'room divider'. So many out of the box thinkers! I like it! CC is just awesome!

DH and I had an L shape bed configuration on Royal's Sovereign of the Seas in a Superior cabin...yrs ago...It seemed like it would be great until we learned the steward would move the beds together with the idea they would stay that way..

That left no room whatsoever to walk around,...Lucky for us, he was a very cooperative guy and moved the beds back and forth each day,,Above and Beyond = big tip,

Moving or removing a couch is another issue,,,so most probably a NO GO... The L shape makes sense but no room to achieve that with the couch...

Cabin stewarts are so great - i'm glad you mentioned giving a big tip in the end. It makes me think... I'd be willing to pay a fee for removing the sofa if they were such on option. I know there is not, but if the cruise line wanted a new revenue stream... maybe they could consider cabin customization. Or perhaps it could be part of the concierge options. Okay - now i'm just thinking out loud :)

IF it comes to passengers being able to configure their own cabin furniture, I wouldn't be surprised if all the cabin stewards quit....they have enough to do without moving furniture every seven days to everyone's whim. For heavens sake people, accept things for what they are...or stay home.

With curiosity I spoke to cabin steward who said that my sofa is screwed into the wall and floor and at the thought of taking it apart and removing it he just laughed and said "but where would we put it?"

In the next cabin, obviously.......

I don’t like any of the arrangements and color schemes either, so I am wondering if they can change the decor and the color scheme, so I can have a more pleasant cruise experience.......

You seem like a very nice person but the room attendants have all they can do to keep up with the basics. Moving furniture and lots of special requests are not really in the books.

Thanks! I do appreciate all the attendants do. I know that moving the bed around in the cabin myself was no trouble at all. I reconfigure furniture in my house all the time. But - this is very different and the points everyone has made about the trouble it would be to move the sofa are well said. I'll just pack less and that will save space :)

IF it comes to passengers being able to configure their own cabin furniture, I wouldn't be surprised if all the cabin stewards quit....they have enough to do without moving furniture every seven days to everyone's whim. For heavens sake people, accept things for what they are...or stay home.

What an unhelpful post. I won't apologize for asking a question and exploring the options because I'm here to learn. If I knew everything already, I hope I'd use that wisdom to aid rather than sneer at the questions of others.

"Accept things for what they are or stay home"... might be the exact opposite of how I live my life.

In the next cabin, obviously.......

I don’t like any of the arrangements and color schemes either, so I am wondering if they can change the decor and the color scheme, so I can have a more pleasant cruise experience.......

Is this, or is this not a place to ask questions? I'll think twice before asking again...

~Mean People Suck~

What an unhelpful post. I won't apologize for asking a question and exploring the options because I'm here to learn. If I knew everything already, I hope I'd use that wisdom to aid rather than sneer at the questions of others.

"Accept things for what they are or stay home"... might be the exact opposite of how I live my life.

Is this, or is this not a place to ask questions? I'll think twice before asking again...

~Mean People Suck~

We are not being "mean" and we don't "suck" you asked for opinions and you got em.....You can rearrange your house every hour of every day...but when you "purchase" accommodations you are pretty much at the mercy of the "owner" of the accommodation. Can you imagine if every hotel, cruise ship, vacation home, all inclusive gave you the option of "decorating" your room before arrival.....I sincerely don't think so.

Anyway...welcome to Cruise Critic....when you ask a question....be prepared for every "sucky" answer.....

We are not being "mean" and we don't "suck" you asked for opinions and you got em.....You can rearrange your house every hour of every day...but when you "purchase" accommodations you are pretty much at the mercy of the "owner" of the accommodation. Can you imagine if every hotel, cruise ship, vacation home, all inclusive gave you the option of "decorating" your room before arrival.....I sincerely don't think so.

Anyway...welcome to Cruise Critic....when you ask a question....be prepared for every "sucky" answer.....

I did not ask for opinions. I asked for facts. I appreciate the opinions and experiences of those who wish to be helpful, but what I asked for are facts. The sofa isn't movable (at least not easily) - that's what I wanted to know. As a business owner, I'd much rather have my clients ask their options than assume I can't do something. And yes - mean people do suck.

Small Table Suggestion

We had the little table removed to give us a bit more room. My dad had an inside with only a chair and lots more space.

Removing the table sounds like a good idea. I'll call and request that tomorrow. Thanks for the great suggestion.

We prefer cabins with bed by the closet. Rather than have the table removed, I wedge it between the sofa and slider. It's out of the way for moving around the cabin and works perfectly for curling up on the sofa with a drink close at hand. If there is a need to use it as intended, e.g. for room service or as a cocktail table when we have friends over for beverages and appetizers, we just place it differently.

The one time we had bed by the veranda I put the little table slightly under the vanity.

I did not ask for opinions. I asked for facts. I appreciate the opinions and experiences of those who wish to be helpful, but what I asked for are facts. The sofa isn't movable (at least not easily) - that's what I wanted to know. As a business owner, I'd much rather have my clients ask their options than assume I can't do something. And yes - mean people do suck.

To be honest the thread was going ok until someone suggested that the sofa could be unscrewed by maintenance and then it all went awry. Crazy suggestion you'd even consider it. By the way I don't think for a moment you'd expect that to be done. Sometimes on this board it's just best to walk away when you have your answer!

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden

I have to ask... why the preoccupation with floor space? Not just the OP, but several others have mentioned it as well. I have never felt this need for more floor space in all my travels - not in cruise cabins nor hotel accommodations. We have even had 4 in a standard veranda cabin and it wasn’t an issue. It got a bit tricky sharing 1 bathroom but we managed just fine and had a great cruise.

I hear people commenting frequently about how small cruise cabins are and I can’t help but wonder what they need all the space for. A dance party?

I can tell you one thing - if ocean cruise cabins are too small, don’t ever take a river cruise! You have no idea what small is [emoji33]

I’m seriously curious. Trying to understand how others think. Why do you need more floor space? Aren’t you just there to sleep, shower and change clothes? (Which is another thing I hear people say all the time)

Well, I do have to admit, that I haven't been called "mean" or "suck" in a long time. I've been called better names by better people

Anyway, I think I've figured out the space thing. In today's world, bigger is better, and when a lot of the guest bathrooms in a lot of homes are indeed bigger than the cabin size of ships today, when one actually sees the cabin for the first time, yes, it will be small. Is there a lack of good storage space, YES there is. How about the bathroom....shower...Yes, they are miniscule. You want square footage, You certainly won't get it on todays cruise ship

Here's a fact: If you only like opinions that agree with you, you're not going to like CC. In any case, I hope you'll still enjoy your cruise.

Too much focus here on floor space in the cabin........why isn't anyone focusing on the space available in the bathroom. I think the next time I'm on a cruise, I'm going to ask them to remove the toilet to give me more floor space...but I'll be OK if they offer to remove the shower instead. There are plenty of bathrooms on the ship for me to use...and I can always take some soap with me to the hot tubs.

It's OK OP, some people just like to be snarky. Please feel free to ask any questions and to learn. You don't know what you don't know and I think CC was created to give information to those needing it. You will find there are some helpful people here, just ignore the others.