Holland America adds Cuba Cruises

richwmn

With the new regs going to Cuba is a big rip off now. Holland American tours are so jacked up in price it is really bad. You have no choice now. You can't even get off the ship unless you pay up at there rates in Cuba now. They are taking advantage of there customer in a very bad way. 400 to 800 dollars just to see Cuba for 2 in less than 24 hours is sky high pricing to me. If I would have thought about it more I would have never gone. It just isn't worth it to me. I only wanted to go to Cuba. Been to Mexico so many times. It was a very expensive visit. Live and learn. Been cruising for 40 years and think this is my last cruise. Tired of cruise lines trying to pick my pockets for every cent they can. While providing less and less for it now. Cruising used to be a great deal and fun. Now it has become just another racket.

Not true, from someone who was just there on a HAL cruise. You and cruise lines should part company. Not much fun for either party from the sounds of it.

It is true. I just paid for it. You must of booked last year and sailed this year.last years rule you are right. This years rules are much different and expensive. If you don't believe me I have the bill to prove it.

Absolutely correct. My friends (who are Canadian) received a letter from HAL telling them they had to take a HAL tour or would not be able to get off the ship.

She e'd me the notice. It said that if you had booked prior to x date you were not under the rules, but any bookings after that date (and theirs was) the new rule applied. The fact that they were Canadian made no difference since they were sailing from the U.S.

I recently received email about Cuba cruises from another cruiseline, Out of curiosity, I went to the link, and was able to see the tours offered. A few hours tour cost a fortune! I could book a week's Caribbean cruise for the price of one tour!

So it is not only HAL who has ridiculous prices for Cuba tours.

I recently received email about Cuba cruises from another cruiseline, Out of curiosity, I went to the link, and was able to see the tours offered. A few hours tour cost a fortune! I could book a week's Caribbean cruise for the price of one tour!

Its called supply and demand.

IMO, a Cuba cruise is not for everybody. It is NOT a typical Caribbean cruise. If that's what you want, you shouldn't go to Cuba.

No it is called extortion. That is what happens when you get 2 governments and a bunch of cruise ex in the same room. The customer always get the short end of the stick. Just don't want someone else to pay like me if they really can't afford it. I can but its the point. Who wants to be ripped off like that on there vacation.

Its called supply and demand.

IMO, a Cuba cruise is not for everybody. It is NOT a typical Caribbean cruise. If that's what you want, you shouldn't go to Cuba.

As you quoted me, let me make clear that I was just commenting on what the OP stated, and happened to see similar situation on another cruiseline.

I am not interested in Cuba at this point, nor a Caribbean vacation - it was just corroboration. I do not need to be told if that is not what I want, then don't go -

I was merely pointing out that it is not just HAL charging what the OP felt was exorbitant rates.

I just looked out of curiosity at what the email was offering.

Maybe in the future, I should not comment on anyone's thread? It was the OP who was interested in Cuba, so why direct that comment at me?

Its interesting to me that people who profess that they have no interest in going to Cuba, or even the Caribbean, are reading through (or not) 6 pages of posts in a thread entitled "Holland America adds Cuba Cruises."

Travel and cruising is an optional activity. If you have a gripe against HAL and/or other cruise lines, for whatever reason, just don't go. But why are you posting your grievances on this particular thread?

I was on Oceania's cruise to 3 ports in Cuba this past December. At that time, since we booked the cruise before the U.S. government's arbitrary deadline date, anyone on the cruise could disembark at all 3 ports and do what they wanted. We opted to go with Oceania's excursions. Were they expensive compared to DIY or a privately arranged tour? Yes, but not completely unreasonable. Did we feel that we got value for our money. Absolutely!

I believe that there are other threads that address some posters' concerns about the decline in services and increased "nickel and diming" in the cruise industry.

Its interesting to me that people who profess that they have no interest in going to Cuba, or even the Caribbean, are reading through (or not) 6 pages of posts in a thread entitled "Holland America adds Cuba Cruises."

Travel and cruising is an optional activity. If you have a gripe against HAL and/or other cruise lines, for whatever reason, just don't go. But why are you posting your grievances on this particular thread?

I was on Oceania's cruise to 3 ports in Cuba this past December. At that time, since we booked the cruise before the U.S. government's arbitrary deadline date, anyone on the cruise could disembark at all 3 ports and do what they wanted. We opted to go with Oceania's excursions. Were they expensive compared to DIY or a privately arranged tour? Yes, but not completely unreasonable. Did we feel that we got value for our money. Absolutely!

I believe that there are other threads that address some posters' concerns about the decline in services and increased "nickel and diming" in the cruise industry.

I don't understand the point to this post. Just because someone is not currently interested in going to Cuba doesn't mean they shouldn't post if they can help or have info to share.

The fact that you must take a ship sponsored tour now is an important and informative fact for those thinking of doing this cruise or a cruise to Cuba.

The tours are quite pricey (no matter what line) and for those that just wanted to do things on their own, it is an important consideration.

That's not a grievance. It's a fact. And one that should be shared on this thread to assist others.

I think the core issue is whether anyone did anything wrong in this situation. I believe the answer is that no one did anything wrong (or at least no one within the context of what we can discuss on this forum, i.e., without getting into politics). The situation is unfortunate, but the division of risk between cruise line and passenger was clear from the start. It is unfortunate that some of those risks became reality, and unfortunate that therefore the passengers have to incur some disappointment as a result, but no one did anything wrong to the passengers.

Absolutely correct. My friends (who are Canadian) received a letter from HAL telling them they had to take a HAL tour or would not be able to get off the ship.

She e'd me the notice. It said that if you had booked prior to x date you were not under the rules, but any bookings after that date (and theirs was) the new rule applied. The fact that they were Canadian made no difference since they were sailing from the U.S.

The letter is sent out. No question - we got them too. However, on the ground is an entirely different story. That too is true. It appeared once we arrived people could do whatever they wanted to do. Noticing US citizens of the requirements and expecting compliance is an obvious duty HAL was required to exercise. But the experience upon arrival was totally different than any prior preconceptions had created. However in this thread, it was the diatribe by the OP on this topic that this was irrefutable evidence calculated price-gouging on the part of HAL was unfounded and offensive.

The HAL offered tours in Cuba were required to be at least 8 hours long, include a meal and are no more expensive than most HAL tours of similar duration.

Just got back on the January 3rd Veendam cruise. We went on a HAL excursion on the first day, but were able to get off the ship and wander on our own the next day, on the morning of departure. By the way, I felt the cost of the excursion which included a meal with drinks was very reasonable. It seemed that once the passports were stamped, there were no problems on moving about freely. We went through Cuban passport control and immigration a second time with absolutely no problems. It was actually very quick, as there were no lines. No problems at all when returning to the ship. What surprised me most of all, was that there were no issues at all when we disembarked in FLL. To me, the whole point of going to Cuba at this time, is to see the island before it becomes overly commercialized. I am very glad I went, and would like to see more of the island.

Just got back on the January 3rd Veendam cruise. We went on a HAL excursion on the first day, but were able to get off the ship and wander on our own the next day, on the morning of departure. By the way, I felt the cost of the excursion which included a meal with drinks was very reasonable. It seemed that once the passports were stamped, there were no problems on moving about freely. We went through Cuban passport control and immigration a second time with absolutely no problems. It was actually very quick, as there were no lines. No problems at all when returning to the ship. What surprised me most of all, was that there were no issues at all when we disembarked in FLL. To me, the whole point of going to Cuba at this time, is to see the island before it becomes overly commercialized. I am very glad I went, and would like to see more of the island.

Thank you. That was exactly what we experienced too, even though all the prior paperwork was both confusing and daunting. And no one should make light or ignore the written US Dept of Treasury regulations if one is a US citizen. It will be interesting to hear if anyone gets contacted for supporting paperwork over the next five years if they did private tours on their own.

One day in Havana is simply not enough, no matter how one attempts to do this city. One other unexpected surprise was how pretty the cruise terminal was. Out the door and there was old town Havana, just begging to be explored with plenty of shiny old US convertible taxis waiting to be privately hired. However hearing the going taxi rates for these specialty cars, one needs to reconsider where any "price-gouging" is actually taking place in Cuba these days.

I think there are really two separate issues involved in this thread: 1) Visiting Cuba via cruise ship as an American, and 2) The cost of shore excursions by HAL. There are many thread on cruisecritic asking how to avoid shore excursions booked through HAL (and other cruise lines too). Many people suggest private companies and individuals all the time. Other posters write that the best way to visit a port is to DIY. There is nothing wrong with the OP arguing that the shore excursions offered by HAL are too expensive. In fact, this could be useful information to many people. Some travelers will be aghast at the new regulations (which involve paying for a shore excursion). Imagine if HAL required that everyone purchase their shore excursions on Mediterranean cruises.

I think there are really two separate issues involved in this thread: 1) Visiting Cuba via cruise ship as an American, and 2) The cost of shore excursions by HAL. There are many thread on cruisecritic asking how to avoid shore excursions booked through HAL (and other cruise lines too). Many people suggest private companies and individuals all the time. Other posters write that the best way to visit a port is to DIY. There is nothing wrong with the OP arguing that the shore excursions offered by HAL are too expensive. In fact, this could be useful information to many people. Some travelers will be aghast at the new regulations (which involve paying for a shore excursion). Imagine if HAL required that everyone purchase their shore excursions on Mediterranean cruises.

Yes,, this.

That’s not true. We plan to go to Cuba and will do private tours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums