New to cruising! If you don’t choose an excursion, then what?

absolutaries

I’m super excited about taking my first cruise to celebrate my 40th birthday in April! I’m looking at excursions in the Southern Caribbean, and wondered: for those who choose not to take excursions, what do you do? Just curious as to what’s around the port stops that experienced cruisers enjoy.

Totally depends on the port. If you aren't taking ship's excursions (we almost never do) then you need to do your own research on each port/island. Some islands have hundreds of options to keep you busy. Others have comparatively few. Some ports have beaches or shopping close by the cruise terminal, others don't.

You should have a look at the Ports of Call forum and check out each of the islands. There will be threads on local tours, beaches, etc. Join your Roll Call and see if others on your sailing are organizing a private excursion.

TripAdvisor is also a good source to find local activities at each port, as well as reviews.

We hardly ever--it's been at least 10 years--take tours through the ship.

Other than that, it depends on the port and also what you prefer and are comfortable with.

I research each port, using these forums, Trip Advisor, and other sites and decide if we want to do an actual tour. Then I book the best option for us ahead of time.

Often, especially if we have been to a port multiple times, we just get off the ship and walk around the port area. Shopping, sight seeing, getting some exercise, a bite to eat, visit museums or other attractions, etc.

Some ports have beaches close enough to walk to; or you can use taxis or local buses or shuttles.

Sometimes we pick up a tour right outside the ship if we see something interesting at a good price. Some ports will have actual tours you can book, or often taxis will take you on a tour. Make sure you agree on the price and get back to the ship at least an hour before sailing.

On a longer cruise like the one we just completed around the Horn, we were toured out by about the 6th port and just walked around the town; terrible weather so we didn't stay long.

We've never done it, but some people just stay on the ship if nothing appeals. This can be calm and relaxing because most of the passengers are off the ship, so there is lots of space and quiet.

We don't take many in the Caribbean as we have found it easy to see places on our own.

For ones we take we look at what is offered by the cruise line, look at private ones using sites such as trip advisor and also look at what is mentioned on our roll call and the ports of call section on Cruise Critic.

Keith

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

At ports that are new to us, we tend to take a ship's excursion to get acquainted with the port. Gives us an idea of what we want to do the next time we are there.

Many of the Caribbean ports do have vendors ashore that you can book through once off the ship -- something we didn't have when we started to cruise many years ago.

Besides checking out the Ports of Call board, you should also join your Roll Call and see what others are doing on your cruise.

Options

1) Ship Tour

2) Go to your roll call and join a tour that another passenger has organized or organize an excursion and have other passengers from your ship join.

3) Pick up a tour spontaneously offered by a local vendor on shore.

4) Prearrange a tour with a local vendor by internet.

5) Take a taxi.

6) Take a local bus.

7) Walk around.

8) Prearrange a rental car.

We have done 1, 4, 6, 7 and 8 in the Caribbean, depends on the port. Even in the same port, we have done different options at different times.

Do a bit of advance homework: read up on each port - find out what is special about each, and think about how those aspects match your own interests. Is there great shopping - and are you into shopping? Are there good beaches - and would you enjoy a day at the beach? Are there historic sites - and have you any interest?

Once you have identified what there is and, hopefully, matched it to your interest levels you can start planning: at some ports you can just walk around and do what you want within minutes from the pier- others might require a taxi ride, or possibly a rental car.

Talk it up on your CC roll call - get ideas, possibly share transport with others.

Remember: you are investing hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars - largely to get you to those ports; spend a bit of time figuring how to get the best value from your investment.

I’m super excited about taking my first cruise to celebrate my 40th birthday in April! I’m looking at excursions in the Southern Caribbean, and wondered: for those who choose not to take excursions, what do you do? Just curious as to what’s around the port stops that experienced cruisers enjoy.

First and foremost, A BIG welcome to Cruise Critic !!:D

Well, be advised IF you do decide too take a non-cruise line based cruise, if something should happen, goodness forbid, such as heavy traffic, equipment breakdown, etc. the ship may or in most cases may not wait for you and sail.:eek: So, before you decide on a non line excursion you do a GOOD background, here on the boards and try to talk with others who have used said companies. I know ship excursions may be boring:rolleyes: to most worldily experienced cruisers. But merely jumping off the ship in a different culture, walking up to the some stranger w/ a 1977 Opel station wagon who CLAINS, 'Yeaaaaaa, mon, we be havin ya back by 3ish' could be one of two things A) The excursion of a life time, because he knows ALL the secret places you'd never see otherwise OR B) Either he leaves you high and dry with you not knowing where you are or sitting on the side of the road w/an equipment meltdown. So, just do your OWN research here and online.The choice is yours. I sincerely hope this will NOT be your last cruise, that the much loved 'cruise bug' claims another victim !

Mac

Get a guidebook from your library..read up on what is in each of your ports. The more you know, the less dependent on others you'll be to have a good time.

We seldom do ANY excursions...because we know what we want to do, and how to do it! A guidebook can save you a bundle, too!

My first (modern) cruise in 2008, I did ship excursions in most ports - the guarantee of the ship waiting for me was important. Also, my interest varied from my other travel companions so I was on my own as a solo woman traveler and my travel experience was limited. The next year, I did fewer ship excursions - usually only the ones that included a boat to get me to snorkel sites. Other ports, I wandered on my own, or got my way to sites I wanted to see. One time I arranged with a friend and we took the local van taxi over to a good snorkel beach. I researched that ahead of time, but didn't need to pre book. Fast forward 10 years an a lot of solo land travel in a multiple countries and continents, and my plan for upcoming cruise is no ship excursions. I'll take the local bus or walk to many things. Plan is to return 3-4 hours prior to ship departure, as that still allows for plenty of time wherever I want to be. I might take a local bird guiding tour, or a local tour company's trip. These tend to be half day trips and I can add on local walking and wandering until I want to return to ship.

There are several books strictly about Caribbean Ports of Call. I get them from the library. I also check out TripAdvisor's 'things to do' for the islands I want to visit.

As a first timer, there is a lot of security in a ship's excursion but they are not the most cost effective, particularly if there are several of you. If you just want a beach day, a number of ports have beaches, complete with amenities and day passes to beach clubs, within walking distance. I wouldn't buy an excursion for these.

Options

1) Ship Tour

2) Go to your roll call and join a tour that another passenger has organized or organize an excursion and have other passengers from your ship join.

5) Take a taxi.

6) Take a local bus.

7) Walk around.

We have done 1, 4, 6, 7 and 8 in the Caribbean, depends on the port. Even in the same port, we have done different options at different times.

Good list. We have done 1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 in the Caribbean. We have done 8 in Saint John on our Canadian cruises. I don’t think I would be comfortable renting a car in the Caribbean. We’ve seen some crazy drivers on those islands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[quote=Floridiana;55073432]Options

1) Ship Tour

5) Take a taxi.

6) Take a local bus.

7) Walk around.

You left out: Stay on board and enjoy an empty ship! Many times the SPA will have specials for port days. Or enjoy a quiet day by the pool without the belly splash people. Walk the promenade without people banging into you. Or just sit and read a good book, whilst enjoying the sea air.

(Please don't start on why you shouldn't stay on the ship. I know not all port locations are beautiful - some are industrial, etc. But many times the port location is free from industrial smoot and noise and I relish the peace on the ship.)

Read through Trip Adviser to find out what interests you at the different ports, and go see those things. Or just walk around on your own. Or stay on the ship - nobody's making you leave.

There is a ton of info about almost every place in the world on the internet.

Options

1) Ship Tour

5) Take a taxi.

6) Take a local bus.

7) Walk around.

Good list. I have done 1 to 7 in the Caribbean and if my golf cart on Bonaire counts then also #8. Certainly rented in other locales. All are viable options and really depend on your interests. As we repeat stops the likelihood of an organized tour tends to fall.

[quote=Floridiana;55073432]Options

1) Ship Tour

5) Take a taxi.

6) Take a local bus.

7) Walk around.

You left out: Stay on board and enjoy an empty ship! Many times the SPA will have specials for port days. Or enjoy a quiet day by the pool without the belly splash people. Walk the promenade without people banging into you. Or just sit and read a good book, whilst enjoying the sea air.

(Please don't start on why you shouldn't stay on the ship. I know not all port locations are beautiful - some are industrial, etc. But many times the port location is free from industrial smoot and noise and I relish the peace on the ship.)

Good catch...we have done this a few times as well...love an empty ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums