When and why did they paint Oasis blue?

Merly

I was last on the Oasis in 2011 and then sailed on her last week. When and why did they paint the hull blue? I have always thought Royal ships looked very elegant, compared to some, but I don’t like the blue.

Only the Oasis and Quantum class have the blue hulls . They are like a light baby blue. When the ship is in bright water it does look more white.

The blue paint is more environmentally friendly and I think more aerodynamic, but I could be making that second part up.

Only the Oasis and Quantum class have the blue hulls . They are like a light baby blue. When the ship is in bright water it does look more white.

The blue paint is more environmentally friendly and I think more aerodynamic, but I could be making that second part up.

I would agree with that

I think folks are confusing the "bottom" paint on the hull below the water with the hull paint above the water. The blue paint on the ship's bottom is more hydrdynamic than older bottom paints, and also more environmentally friendly. This new paint is harder and slicker than older paints to reduce drag in the water and also reduce the ability of marine growth to attach to the hull, without chemicals like other bottom paints use.

I believe the light blue on the hull above the water is for appearance in bright sun as looking whiter.

Well ok, but I never noticed it blue before, I guess the Allure is too and I have never noticed that either. I have seen both ships in various ports too and never noticed!

(Should have gone to specsavers) (a joke the brits should get)

It was a design decision.

Ask Adam Blog Series – May 2011 Answers

Why are the hulls of Allure and Oasis of the Seas light blue instead of white?

-Dale M.

Dale, glad you enjoyed your recent cruise on Allure of the Seas. The hulls of Oasis and Allure are painted a very light blue. Please note that I am not in favor of gender stereotyping and do not always support blue for boys and pink for girls. On the other hand, I am a traditionalist and the ship will always be a “she.” We think the light blue looks terrific on her.

There was a lot of internal debate about moving away from the traditional white hull. Ultimately we decided that the Oasis-class ships are so unique that we wanted a somewhat different hull color. The difference is most visible when the sun is shining directly on the hull (never a bad thing!). At other times you have to look pretty closely to notice much of a difference from the rest of the fleet.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/ask-adam-blog-series-may-2011-answers/

P.S. Quantum class ships are also painted light blue. Personally I think it helps soften the appearance of these megaships. If they were all bright white it would be a little overwhelming. It is very subtle but easy on the eyes.

Edited by Pratique

This may be true and it may show more significantly in certain light. When Quantum was still inside in construction the blue is even more prominent under the light they use.

I just looked at my Oasis photo from 2016 and its white.

My 2013 Allure photo is a very light baby blue. Photos of Quantum look like a darker blue.

Well ok, but I never noticed it blue before, I guess the Allure is too and I have never noticed that either. I have seen both ships in various ports too and never noticed!

(Should have gone to specsavers) (a joke the brits should get)

I never notice stuff too. I get in trouble all the time for it when Sallie has her hair done or has changed decorations in the house!!

Back in my younger navy days there were special ports where we had to man the rail in our white uniforms. Several of us would take our division's whites down to the laundry the night before and I remember we would add powdered bluing in to the load as it made the white stand out more. Maybe the same thinking here with the light blue paint. :D

This may be true and it may show more significantly in certain light. When Quantum was still inside in construction the blue is even more prominent under the light they use.

I just looked at my Oasis photo from 2016 and its white.

My 2013 Allure photo is a very light baby blue. Photos of Quantum look like a darker blue.

It was never white Bill....all Oasis class have always been baby blue as Bob said. Anyone who followed all 4 ships and their construction should know that. But it would make a good Trivia question.

Personally, I think the Disney colors are really sharp...that navy blue hull looks super to me...just sayin...