Silver to Gold

Reenie75

I thought status match was a 1x thing and if you cruise with MSC within 3 years you keep your current status. I don't think they let you continue to add on cruises from another line once you sign up for MSC program.

Its my understanding its 100 pts per cruise day when doing the status match Silver is 2200 to 4299, Gold is 4300 to 9999, Black is 10,000or above.

I've also heard rumors they do a quick status match. For example for Carnival.... I read they automatically assign Platinum to Gold and Diamond to Black. There may be some adjustments cause ....if your Platinum in Carnival you may have more than enough days to still qualify for Black. But MSC states their assignment of level is final and they determine it based on the information they review

lcpagejr its weird bc I have 2 cruises before this one coming in August, the agent said once I do the cruises I can show MSC I would go to Gold. I agree with you I think it's more reasonable how you explained it. Won't complain bc MSC didn't have to give me any level.;):D

lcpagejr its weird bc I have 2 cruises before this one coming in August, the agent said once I do the cruises I can show MSC I would go to Gold. I agree with you I think it's more reasonable how you explained it. Won't complain bc MSC didn't have to give me any level.;):D

Hey....Go for it. Like you said....it wouldn't make sense because you would think they want you to build loyalty on their line!! With MSC ...you never know what they will do!!

With only 4 levels, Classic, Silver, Gold and Black it is impossible to match a loyalty program with say 6 levels eg RCI Gold, Platinum, Emerald. Diamond, Diamond plus, Pinnacle.

Do you expect the bottom level on RCL to be matched with the third level MSC just because they are both called Gold?

That would be unreasonable to expect.

but they do match diamond and above to Black, because what they match is perks , and those are the closest fit to black, being similar or significantly better.

I don't think it would be unreasonable, and here is my logic...I have 60 points with NCL which puts me at gold status. I get one point for each night on board. Now if i take that same logic and apply it to MSC...those 60 points would equate to 8.57 5-9 night cruises or 6 10 day cruises. 8.57 x 700 points for 5-9 night cruises = 6000 points on MSC. Gold membership on MSC is 4300 - 9999 points...they gave me 2200 points (Silver)

With only 4 levels, Classic, Silver, Gold and Black it is impossible to match a loyalty program with say 6 levels eg RCI Gold, Platinum, Emerald. Diamond, Diamond plus, Pinnacle.

Do you expect the bottom level on RCL to be matched with the third level MSC just because they are both called Gold?

That would be unreasonable to expect.

but they do match diamond and above to Black, because what they match is perks , and those are the closest fit to black, being similar or significantly better.

I don't think it would be unreasonable, and here is my logic...I have 60 points with NCL which puts me at gold status. I get one point for each night on board. Now if i take that same logic and apply it to MSC...those 60 points would equate to 8.57 5-9 night cruises or 6 10 day cruises. 8.57 x 700 points for 5-9 night cruises = 6000 points on MSC. Gold membership on MSC is 4300 - 9999 points...they gave me 2200 points (Silver)

Your logic sounds right...You should have atleast been gold. I'm Platinum on Carnival...and I figure weve cruised close to 90 days...which would equate to around 9000 pts....so it appears they status'd me correctly albeit I seem to be bordering black status. But my theory is...something is better than nothing....

This is flawed reasoning as MSC give points for spend as well as nights so not all points are earned by nights so for someone on the system who earned silver by cruising may well have 4000 points but only 2200 from nights on board, and you can't match spend .

The match is giving newcomers to the line something that no other line gives , and for free as well, at the expense of the "LOYAL" MSC guests who earned their Black cards by cruising with MSC.

We "LOYAL BLACK MEMBERS" lost a lot of benefits to give newcomers black cards and all they do is whinge about the level they match to.

so given that some people can get black cards without even having been on a cruise ever, but stayed some nights in hotel chain. where would you put those people? at ZERO points?.

Be happy at jumping up some levels and get acquainted with how the scheme works in its entirety .

BTW rumour has it that a new higher level may be coming in june. So will all these new black members be jumping up and down shouting FOUL. YOu bet they will

This is flawed reasoning as MSC give points for spend as well as nights so not all points are earned by nights so for someone on the system who earned silver by cruising may well have 4000 points but only 2200 from nights on board, and you can't match spend .

The match is giving newcomers to the line something that no other line gives , and for free as well, at the expense of the "LOYAL" MSC guests who earned their Black cards by cruising with MSC.

We "LOYAL BLACK MEMBERS" lost a lot of benefits to give newcomers black cards and all they do is whinge about the level they match to.

so given that some people can get black cards without even having been on a cruise ever, but stayed some nights in hotel chain. where would you put those people? at ZERO points?.

Be happy at jumping up some levels and get acquainted with how the scheme works in its entirety .

BTW rumour has it that a new higher level may be coming in june. So will all these new black members be jumping up and down shouting FOUL. YOu bet they will

I completely disagree with your response in that its irrelevant to my and n8botting situation. We are both talking about cruise days...nothing to do with hotels, etc. I am comfortable with my match....However based on N8bottings explanation ...he obviously would fall under "Gold" status.... Lets not be quick to judge!!!

The joys of the world we live in where getting something for nothing still isn't quite enough.

I'm not a fan of this Status match offer MSC has. I'm firmly on the side of the those who have worked their way up shouldn't have had their benefits vastly reduced after spending a heck of a lot of money to achieve their status. I speak from the position of being a Classic member when the scheme was introduced, and only after my last cruise did i become Silver.

Having said that, I do understand why MSC brought this in. (from a marketing perspective), and I understand why so many would take advantage. I don't blame anyone for doing so. However once being Status Matched at their corresponding level, i don't agree that those individuals should then have any points registered against their Voyagers Club account.

If you're status matched to Silver. You have all the benefits of silver but you start with 0 points. You maintain Silver, and its benefits, until you've cruised enough with MSC to move up a tier.

Likewise with GOLD/BLACK. 0 points.

No-one who has cruised once, having status matched to black, should be in a position to achieve any potential new tier (rumored to be coming in June) before I, and many others, who offered early commitment to MSC.

As i say, I have issue with the scheme, not with those who take advantage of it. For those who don't like the scheme after signing up, tough. Enjoy the freebie or cruise elsewhere. That's the choice you have!

MSC is not going to give you the equivalent points for cruising for however many nights on another line as they do for those who cruise with them. The status-match system doesn't work on how many nights you've cruised with another company. Why should MSC award you points from their system for that? If you think that's so "unreasonable" just don't status-match! I can't see NCL taking into account the number of nights I've sailed with MSC (171 to date) and giving me the equivalent benefits that I would have received had I sailed those nights on NCL!

It's more about trying to give similar perks for the ones you're already getting at the level you're at with your regular cruise line.

I completely disagree with your response in that its irrelevant to my and n8botting situation. We are both talking about cruise days...nothing to do with hotels, etc. I am comfortable with my match....However based on N8bottings explanation ...he obviously would fall under "Gold" status.... Lets not be quick to judge!!!

No he 'obviously' falls under Silver because that's the level MSC has matched him against.

Just because he does not agree with the outcome, does not make him right and MSC wrong. He applied on the basis of the terms and conditions:

'Matching is carried out by comparing as much as reasonably possible the level of benefits guaranteed from the external travel program benefit card with those offered by the MSC Voyagers Club cards (Conversion will be executed by MSC Cruises based on objective criteria and may only be done once per consumer).'

If he then finds he does not agree or does not like the outcome, he simply doesn't book a cruise and the only party losing out is MSC. Completely his prerogative.

... once being Status Matched at their corresponding level, i don't agree that those individuals should then have any points registered against their Voyagers Club account.

If you're status matched to Silver. You have all the benefits of silver but you start with 0 points. You maintain Silver, and its benefits, until you've cruised enough with MSC to move up a tier.

Likewise with GOLD/BLACK. 0 points.

No-one who has cruised once, having status matched to black, should be in a position to achieve any potential new tier (rumored to be coming in June) before I, and many others, who offered early commitment to MSC.

That is the fairest solution I have ever read to the whole debacle of the status-match policy. When it was first introduced, a lot of us were under the impression that those who status-matched would only enjoy the level for their first MSC cruise. It seems so unfair that those who match to Black (especially) will remain at that level as long as they cruise at least once in a 3 year period.

As i say, I have issue with the scheme, not with those who take advantage of it. For those who don't like the scheme after signing up, tough. Enjoy the freebie or cruise elsewhere. That's the choice you have!
I totally agree with you on this!

I'm really hoping that they do introduce a new tier this year; I was told on Orchestra in December that MSC was waiting 'til Seaview's launch before introducing it. I currently have 30300 points (with a minimum of 3000 more to be added in April) so am cautiously optimistic that I will qualify for the new level.

It will be a serious slap in the face to those who attained Black by cruising with MSC if the new tier becomes available to others to status-match with. Imagine seeing others who've never sailed MSC before, getting better perks than those who are at Black - it's bad enough that they're getting the same at the moment!

That is the fairest solution I have ever read to the whole debacle of the status-match policy. When it was first introduced, a lot of us were under the impression that those who status-matched would only enjoy the level for their first MSC cruise. It seems so unfair that those who match to Black (especially) will remain at that level as long as they cruise at least once in a 3 year period.
Thanks Bea. Yet its hardly rocket science so baffles me as to why anyone at MSC did not think of it. Offers something for both Newbies, and the (i wont say oldies) Loyals.

I'm really hoping that they do introduce a new tier this year; I was told on Orchestra in December that MSC was waiting 'til Seaview's launch before introducing it. I currently have 30300 points (with a minimum of 3000 more to be added in April) so am cautiously optimistic that I will qualify for the new level.
Me also. When i did my first cruise, Black card was worth working towards. A long way off, but still a sense it was achievable. And who wouldn't want that 20% off.

It will be a serious slap in the face to those who attained Black by cruising with MSC if the new tier becomes available to others to status-match with. Imagine seeing others who've never sailed MSC before, getting better perks than those who are at Black - it's bad enough that they're getting the same at the moment!
If they have any sense, it wont be. Status match up to black only. Sadly MSC often lacks commonsense.

I echo Pete's comments here - you're getting something for nothing, be happy with that.

Also, how would MSC know how many nights you had spent onboard based on your loyalty level with another company??? Matching the benefits is by far the fairest way if indeed they are to do this status match.

I've worked my way up to black - Voyagers club changed when I was still silver. The loss of discount is at best frustrating, however I will continue to cruise with MSC as I like the product.

Sadly MSC often lacks commonsense.

Which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The Loyalty Program is of cause for many a very sad thing. I was close to Silver some years before when the "MSC Club" was totally different. Then they started the Voyager Club which made it much much more difficult to gain higher status. Then the status match and Silver was more or less useless, for stuff like the One Day Spa pass you need Gold now etc. Black is now almost impossible to get without status match.

And I guess they will cancel the Gold advantages when I reach this status after the next cruise finally.

And I guess they will cancel the Gold advantages when I reach this status after the next cruise finally.

I had just reached Black when Voyagers' Club was introduced. Thankfully I had already booked a number of cruises with the 20% discount (not knowing that it was going to be reduced to a paltry 5%!) so I didn't feel the loss at the time. The other 'reduction' in benefit that comes to mind is that the complimentary bottle of champagne had been replaced with a bottle of prosecco. :( I did one cruise at Black prior to the introduction so managed to enjoy the champagne - little knowing that it would be the last time from the loyalty programme benefits list. (I've since had champagne delivered to the cabin for other reasons :D).

Which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The Loyalty Program is of cause for many a very sad thing. I was close to Silver some years before when the "MSC Club" was totally different. Then they started the Voyager Club which made it much much more difficult to gain higher status. Then the status match and Silver was more or less useless, for stuff like the One Day Spa pass you need Gold now etc. Black is now almost impossible to get without status match.

I'm not sure you have understood this perk.

It's not a one day spa pass

it's a one hour use of the thermal area

from the table of benefits

Complimentary one-hour thermal area session (one per cruise).

Pete

MSC is not going to give you the equivalent points for cruising for however many nights on another line as they do for those who cruise with them. The status-match system doesn't work on how many nights you've cruised with another company. Why should MSC award you points from their system for that? If you think that's so "unreasonable" just don't status-match! I can't see NCL taking into account the number of nights I've sailed with MSC (171 to date) and giving me the equivalent benefits that I would have received had I sailed those nights on NCL!

It's more about trying to give similar perks for the ones you're already getting at the level you're at with your regular cruise line.

Best logical explanation to date....Thanks

Then they started the Voyager Club which made it much much more difficult to gain higher status.

Black is now almost impossible to get without status match.

DIFFICULT to get to Black? Are you kidding me? If you sail in Fantastica you need fifteen 5 - 9nts cruises to get to Black.

With other words 90 - 135nts, but you also earn points for everything you buy onboard.

To get to Dimond on Royal you need 80nts but you don't get points for stuff you buy onboard. With other words, it's more or less as hard as getting to Dimond on Royal.

Edit: The forum mess up the chart of points vs night in the different categories.

Cruise 6 days - 5 night Cruise from 6 to 10 days - 5 to 9 nights Cruise from 10 days - 9 nights

Bella 200 points 500 points 700 points

Fantastica 400 points 700 points 1000 points

Wellness 600 points 1000 points 1500 points

Aurea 600 points 1000 points 1500 points

MSC Yacht Club 800 points 1500 points 2000 points

Edited by Extra Kim