Update on Koningsdam Library

I can't believe that no one has answered this :confused:

Bob

Taking into account the relatively small number of people who have sailed the Koningsdam, of which only a very small percentage are CC members, subtract those who aren't particularly interested in the library issue, one way or another, then discount those who sailed in the first few weeks and can't provide an update, and the actual number of people who could provide the requested information is really quite small. Taking into consideration that the post was just before a weekend that included Father's Day, and was pushed to page 2, I'm not totally surprised. :)

Edited by Fouremco

Pardon me for asking this question again concerning the Koningsdam's Library, or lack thereof.

On the Statendam's final voyage for HAL to Singapore, as we neared the end, the On Location Guide and the Librarian worked to box the books on the ship for removal and storage in Singapore awaiting the arrival of the Amsterdam during her world cruise. We were told that the books would then be placed on the Amsterdam and taken to Italy, where she met the Koningsdam. The books would then be placed aboard the Amsterdam.

And, what happened to the library materials on the Ryndam?

Edited by rkacruiser

I've read descriptions that there are only a few shelves in the Konigsdam "library" and they are stuck in a corner.

It doesn't sound like the K will have a library that we Mariners have become accustomed to as a high point on HAL.:(

Perhaps someone from HAL management or the Mariner program could comment on this question about a library.

ARE YOU OUT THERE HAL???:confused:

On the Statendam's final voyage for HAL to Singapore, as we neared the end, the On Location Guide and the Librarian worked to box the books on the ship for removal and storage in Singapore awaiting the arrival of the Amsterdam during her world cruise. We were told that the books would then be placed on the Amsterdam and taken to Italy, where she met the Koningsdam. The books would then be placed aboard the Amsterdam.

This makes the cynic in me wonder if the people in charge of closing down the Statendam, and the people in charge of planning and setting up the Koningsdam, had a clue what the other team was up to.

It wouldn't be the first time that upper management didn't coordinate their various team projects.

I just posted the following message on another thread asking about the Koningsdam library and thought I would also include it here:

After reading about the state of the library on Koningsdam and, since we are going to be on it in a few weeks, I called Ship Services today to ask about the situation.

Initially, the service agent that answered the phone wasn't sure so she asked if I would hold so she could ask a supervisor. She reported back that as of now there were "travel books" on the shelves and she didn't know if books would be delivered before the ship came in to Ft. Lauderdale later this fall or not. She then said that the library was being re-evaluated as there didn't seem to be much useage/support from cruisers.

I assured her that there were many cruisers using the library and, in fact, many times that we were there, couldn't find a seat. I then asked how our voices could be heard and she said that those supporting the libraries should email at the address: guestrelations@Hollandamerica.com and it would be moved up the line to the President's office. If we want our libraries, I urge cruisers to make our voices heard.

I'd hate to see the libraries disappear on HAL.

We've seen libraries on Royal Caribbean go from a full room down to a couple of shelves. DH visits the library nearly every day, and he's gotten pretty upset over the decline on Royal Caribbean ships.

That's one of the reasons we're trying HAL out!

I was on the Koningsdam last week and although the library is very small the books have been well picked. A number of travel guides for the region being cruised and some excellent historical and cultural reference books.

People - does no good to voice our disappointment here. Please contact HAL customer service (see above) with our request for actual reading materials in the K'dam library.

Sometimes this actually works: example - when HAL changed their tea provider (the tea was atrocious and very limited selection), there was an outcry and emails flew to HAL. A few months later they were back to Bigelow!

So if we all send an email - maybe - just maybe.......

If there is an area to leave your finished book we could all start donating books so others can borrow and read.

Good idea. I use the "leave one take one" area more than any other in the ship libraries. I usually bring along a paperback with me and leave it.

Hoping by the time we sail Koningsdam in January this will be an option.

We just got off of the Koningsdam to Norway. The library only had a few travel books. It is not really a library, just a small strip between the Coffee counter and the windows. There are a few computers facing out. The one time that I tried to read (my own book) there, I was driven out by a loud "Name that Song" event. I enjoyed many things about the ship, but the library was not one of them. I advise taking your own books or a loaded Kindle as I did.

We just got off of the Koningsdam to Norway. The library only had a few travel books. It is not really a library, just a small strip between the Coffee counter and the windows. There are a few computers facing out. The one time that I tried to read (my own book) there, I was driven out by a loud "Name that Song" event. I enjoyed many things about the ship, but the library was not one of them. I advise taking your own books or a loaded Kindle as I did.

One has to wonder if this isn't HAL's intended result.

HAL libraries are one of the things that makes HAL stand out. The lack of a library will mean, for us, our July cruise on the Koningsdam will be the only one we will be taking on her. From people we have spoken to over the years, the library is important for many cruisers.

HAL libraries are one of the things that makes HAL stand out. The lack of a library will mean, for us, our July cruise on the Koningsdam will be the only one we will be taking on her. From people we have spoken to over the years, the library is important for many cruisers.

May I suggest that you speak directly with the Guest Relations Manager and express your concern? If an opportunity exists to speak to the Hotel Director, doing so would not hurt.

The Koningsdam will not be in drydock for regular servicing and maybe a re-fit of those venues that have not proven successful, i.e. the lack of a Library, for a couple of years, I would suppose.

But, it is not too soon for the proper modifications to be made the the M. S. Nieuw Statendam.

Edited by rkacruiser

• 6 months later...
I second the Kindle comment - it's the perfect solution for cruisers. I find it interesting that the library of a cruise ship is such a big deal. :confused:

Not if your DH -- mine -- has Parkinson's, had a heart attack and a stroke -- takes many medications which make him fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

The Nook or Kindle would drop to the floor and be broken. He has dropped many books.

Library is good for him. Books can be replaced more easily than a Nook or a Kindle.