Is it rude to shop your reservation around to different TA's?

I have a reservation with Royal Caribbean for 2018. Normally I book through a TA, but this time, to secure a "prime" cabin that was available when I called for pricing (family cabin, so you can't look at pricing online), I reserved through the cruiseline.

Now, I like perks (OBC, etc), so I will definitely transfer this to an agent. The question is - which agent? Have you ever reached out to multiple agents to try to get the greatest benefits for your reservation?

I used to do that but nowadays I like more control with my reservation. I typically jump around cabins a few times during the life of a reservation and sailings too on occasion so don't like having to search down my TA to make changes to my reservation. And definitely don't like the TA "freebees" being threatened to be taken away each time I want to make a change with my reservation. The OBC's and/or specialty restaurant for 2 isn't worth losing the control to me. But by all means, if you wants the stuff, of course shop it around... they will not turn you down. ;)

There's nothing wrong with shopping around. There's money to be saved with little or no risk. You have control over your reservation. We use an online agency, if we want to change cabins, or get a price drop we just shoot them an e-mail: taken care of. We don't have to track them down or even call them. Our last cruise was 14 days on Celebrity and we got an upgrade to the premium drink package ($162 value) and $350 obc we wouldn't have gotten booking direct. The best part was that the obc was refundable and went home with us. That's a savings of $512, a little more than a specialty dining perk. If you get a significant drop in price your obc will drop because the agency gets a percentage of the cost and if the price drops so does there commission and that's where their perks come from.

Booking a cruise is as easy or as hard as you make it. 15 minutes is normal for us. If there are no price changes or cabin changes that's it. We've done enough cruising so we have no questions and we don't need anybody to hold our hand.

We have been on 12 cruises with Royal Caribbean, all of them through a TA, though we do get a very small discount as she puts us in a group cabin, we have never, ever had any perks or OBC, I have asked and they just smile lol.

and it's not just the one we use, it's all of them......don't know if this is a UK thing, but I'd be interested to know

wendy

x

We do the same as many here and use the site frequently mentioned.

On our next cruise, a suite reservation yielded $850 OBC + free grats + an additional $100 and a bottle of champagne for booking using an Amex Plat.

All of that for the same price that RC was showing on their website.

I would definitely shop TA rates and deals on any future cruise and shop for the best total offer.

I suppose it's worth noting that we're fairly self-sufficient travelers when it comes to airfare/hotels/etc and so happy to go with a large "clearinghouse" type TA for more benefits and just assume that anything other than buying the cruise is on us to figure out.

If you need more and better service, you probably want to use a full-service type agent even if you can't max out the perks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do TA's get an kickback if you transfer your booking to them? Well, they must- and it must be considerable given some of the perks (even knowing the TA isn't paying face value for the perks.)

I guess I don't understand the business. If the TA doesn't originate the business, why would they get an incentive for taking over the paper post origination? I would think the cruise line would provide incentives for TAs that originate bookings but is there really much value in a TA servicing the booking? Like, does that somehow take a considerable work load off of RCCL or something?

Do TA's get an kickback if you transfer your booking to them? They get a commission, a percentage of the cruise fare-not including taxes and port fees. Well, they must- and it must be considerable given some of the perks (even knowing the TA isn't paying face value for the perks.) The perks they offer guests are taken out of that commission amount.

I guess I don't understand the business. If the TA doesn't originate the business, why would they get an incentive for taking over the paper post origination? I would think the cruise line would provide incentives for TAs that originate bookings but is there really much value in a TA servicing the booking? Like, does that somehow take a considerable work load off of RCCL or something?

From the time the reservation is transferred to a travel agent onward, all communication with the cruise line is done through the travel agent. In these cases, RCI will get no calls from passengers, only travel agents. Theoretically, this should cut down on the time RCI reps will need to service the reservation, since hopefully the travel agents know what they are doing and need only call the cruise line when necessary.

I have a reservation with Royal Caribbean for 2018. Normally I book through a TA, but this time, to secure a "prime" cabin that was available when I called for pricing (family cabin, so you can't look at pricing online), I reserved through the cruiseline.

Now, I like perks (OBC, etc), so I will definitely transfer this to an agent. The question is - which agent? Have you ever reached out to multiple agents to try to get the greatest benefits for your reservation?

Yes, I will usually shop two or three different agents. I have a preferred agent that I use as a benchmark. 30 minutes of phone time is worth a few hundred in savings (OBC/perks). Why is that rude?

Do you comparison shop for the best deal on appliances? On cars? On service workers that make repairs/upgrades to your home? Of course you do. Shopping around not only yields savings but you can rest assured you did your due diligence and got a good deal. I do not understand why anyone would consider this rude. I have asked Royal (booking direct) to match other offers and they will not.

We have been on 12 cruises with Royal Caribbean, all of them through a TA, though we do get a very small discount as she puts us in a group cabin, we have never, ever had any perks or OBC, I have asked and they just smile lol.

and it's not just the one we use, it's all of them......don't know if this is a UK thing, but I'd be interested to know

wendy

x

We have been on a "couple" of trips. ALL of the Times we used a TA we've gotten perks. On our wedding cruise because we did a group package we also got perks, credits and etc. but on that one we did not use a TA. If your TA is part of a larger network you may get more stuff. My cousin's husband started this with his family a good 20 years ago, and so now we are doing it also cruising with the family every two years. The last 2-3 trips when we use the travel agent we have gotten 2 specialty dining meals for free and I believe $100 an onboard credit. Since we also get JS we get a free spa package also. Since we like our TA shopping around isn't for us.

I was very skeptical with turning my next one over to a TA. The only reason I did is because I got zero perks from RC this time around. I got a referral from someone on this board, and it worked out great. Big online company, gave me $500 OBC, free gatuities, and one specialty dinner. This was for grand suite on Harmony. I couldn't be happier! Yes, I too looked at one other agency before transferring.

• 6 months later...

Could someone compete with each other and tell me if it is possible to book a cruise tour through RCCL myself rather then have the travel agency book it with the cruise portion. No matter what I do to compete they won't quote me the land tour portion, they just want to quote cruises.

Is it possible to book the Alaska RCCL land portion myself and then go through a travel agency for available perks for justt he cruise portion?

Jimbo:)

Nothing wrong in shopping around or asking for quotes.

Could someone compete with each other and tell me if it is possible to book a cruise tour through RCCL myself rather then have the travel agency book it with the cruise portion. No matter what I do to compete they won't quote me the land tour portion, they just want to quote cruises.

Is it possible to book the Alaska RCCL land portion myself and then go through a travel agency for available perks for justt he cruise portion?

Jimbo:)

I believe the land and cruise tour are part of the same booking.

Am I the only person left who doesn't do this, and thinks that it is a kind of cruddy thing to do? I guess, I just value having someone being my advocate who knows me and thinks that I am not being a TA abuser? I mean if you have no loyalty and something happens and you need help, do you really think your completer will give a rip about your problems?

I know I am an old-fashioned anachronism.:halo:

JC

Am I the only person left who doesn't do this, and thinks that it is a kind of cruddy thing to do? I guess, I just value having someone being my advocate who knows me and thinks that I am not being a TA abuser? I mean if you have no loyalty and something happens and you need help, do you really think your completer will give a rip about your problems?

JC

I don't know the answer to your question, but consider a different perspective.

I spend my time doing homework to book just what I want through the RCI website.

Now I have that booking and I email 3 different TA's to see if any want the opportunity to have the booking by seeing what amenities they offer. I provide the pertinent information including ship, date, and our total price to help them determine what their commission is and what they can offer. They have invested a minimal amount of time (no walking through the booking process) and have the ability to earn a quick commission.

I don't see how speaking to them on the phone to take more time doing the actual booking, or approaching them before I have a booking and am shopping around, is more beneficial to me in the end in terms of service, or to them in terms of amount of time they spend to earn that commission.

Anyways, that's just a different perspective for you to consider it from.

JC

I personally don't think it's cruddy, each to their own. I've had a long standing relationship with a TA, and she's gone to bat for us several times with Royal (which I know is a Royal Pain), and we stay with her even though we could probably get a few more bucks OBC elsewhere. It also helps that she's extremely meticulous,usually gets everything perfect, and has helped us on Saturdays and Sundays.

I personally don't think it's cruddy, each to their own. I've had a long standing relationship with a TA, and she's gone to bat for us several times with Royal (which I know is a Royal Pain), and we stay with her even though we could probably get a few more bucks OBC elsewhere. It also helps that she's extremely meticulous,usually gets everything perfect, and has helped us on Saturdays and Sundays.

So, if you are saying that you test the waters and let your chosen TA choose to match, then it is a bit less cruddy. Still at some point these people are spending time on your behalf and backing you up when things go sideways, and I think just holding them to the bottom dollar is a bit disrespectful. I have brought my TA pricing before I booked from competitions and allowed her a shot at being in the equation, and even when I have spoon fed her the pricing I give her the booking. Beating people down to the last penny is from my perspective, harsh. I have had about 10 TAs in my 59 years on the planet. Some were not of my choosing, group trips or going with others. I used to bowl with a mega TA owner, who booked my cruise charter, but I would never use him for my personal vacations. I went thru several 20 years ago, but when I found one that did all of the things I asked and performed in the clutch, I chose her. I book a lot of vacations with zero TA advice. I am a very independent traveler, but a good TA is worth a bit to me. I can't imagine dealing with RCI when they do the stuff they do on my own... I can not imagine spending hours on the phone.

I really am not judging the people posting on this thread, but.... I do think looking at the absolute lowest cost without respect of what that means is short sighted.

JC

... I really am not judging the people posting on this thread, but.... I do think looking at the absolute lowest cost without respect of what that means is short sighted.

JC

I agree with this opinion, but I also think it's no big deal if people use whatever criteria they want to choose a TA, as often as they like.

Bob, I am a libertarian when it comes to free choice. People should do whatever they think is right, I just think that they should be reminded that karma can kick them in the jewels, and don't expect us to care.

TA shopping is fine with me. I choose not to.

I think I am winning even if I am not getting the absolute bottom price. :evilsmile:

JC

JC

I've pretty much used same TA for 9 years. Been through 3 agents

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app