Rci app

There's an app in the App store (RCI official app) that was just uploaded last week and says Allure only - I wonder if this is the outcome of project Excalibur. I don't see anything in the description to allow for reservations - one of the most useful features of Royal IQ.

The RCI app now shows Allure cruises through Oct 18. Note that this is NOT the Royal IQ app - it is labeled Royal Caribbean International in the Google App store with an anchor logo. It doesn't show your specific booked items, just shows, events, meet and greets, operating hours, ship time ... No login to your cruise, just asks when it starts which cruise date (you can change this by looking at the calendar). Sept 3 cruise is showing St Kitts itinerary. Lots of useful information, although not sure how often it will update or if it will update while onboard.

Edited by LeeW
more

• 2 weeks later...

I'll play around with it on our 9/10 cruise. Lots of info for the topical cruiser. Reminds me of something from Disney Parks. Funny, since from what I can remember reading, if this is the app code named Excalibur, this project is lead by a former Disney executive who managed the My Disney Experience at Walt Disney World. The app is very colorful and has pleasing animations, just like the Disney Parks apps.

And if this is like the Disneyland and Disney World apps, many more features will be rolled out in the future. RCI spoke about this app eventually replacing RoyalIQ, so I'd assume it will eventually have all of those features as well.

And if this is like the Disneyland and Disney World apps, many more features will be rolled out in the future. RCI spoke about this app eventually replacing RoyalIQ, so I'd assume it will eventually have all of those features as well.

This is quite a departure from the Royal IQ app which only works connected to the ship's WiFi - I assume because all of the info is from the ship. This app however, seems to simply be an upload of shore side static info - how that can be modified to include "live" data and more importantly interactive features (like making reservations), is yet to be seen.

This is quite a departure from the Royal IQ app which only works connected to the ship's WiFi - I assume because all of the info is from the ship. This app however, seems to simply be an upload of shore side static info - how that can be modified to include "live" data and more importantly interactive features (like making reservations), is yet to be seen.

Only time will tell if this becomes an interactive app. If this is Excalibur, it should be interactive at some point. The app description mentions this as a test app. This could be just a backbone to something more, or just a fancy brochure.

It also mentions full menus... I haven't found those yet, unless they pop up while onboard.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone used this on the ship yet? We normally cut our phones off and lock them in the safe. I guess you would have to turn Data off, Turn Airplane mode on and then cut Wifi back on to make sure not to incur charges? So if you can use ship wifi for this app can you use ship wifi for other apps on your phone or do they manage to block those?

So if you can use ship wifi for this app can you use ship wifi for other apps on your phone or do they manage to block those?

Sites other than RCI related ones are blocked, though on ships that use the Royal IQ app, some have reported other traffic getting through.

We used this on the Allure Oct 1-8 sailing. Was able to see a lot of the daily Cruise Planner activities and menus. We had the wifi package for 1 device. I tried using the Royal app on another device to see if I could get any other apps to work, but no luck (not surprised). Only the Royal app worked when not signed into a wifi package.

Edited to change name of app to "Royal app" not "Royal IQ app"

Edited by thrifty99

• 2 months later...
Thanks Bob, I found it.... We are on the Oasis 1/14.... I wonder if we will be able to use it, and if the 4 of us can text each other.

I agree with BIker, if you want to text each other, your either going to have to spring for WiFi, or use Cellular at Sea and pay by the text.

No way to message with this app though? Any solution to that dilemma without paying for an internet package? Will be sailing on Serenade in mid Feb.

I see the message just above. Sounds like no way except for internet package or pay by text. Thanks all.

No way to message with this app though? Any solution to that dilemma without paying for an internet package? Will be sailing on Serenade in mid Feb.

Unlikely the app will be ready for Serenade by Feb.