Need a new cruise tux? Macys.com - $149 with coupon code.

My own order is supposed to arrive tonight so I'll be better positioned to tell you how the quality is by tomorrow, but if you're in the market for a good formal wear buy I'm thinking you could probably do worse than this Ralph Lauren tuxedo for $150 with the coupon code "FRESH":

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/lauren-ralph-lauren-classic-fit-solid-black-wool-tuxedo?ID=150026&CategoryID=68524#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D61%26ruleId%3D78|BS|BA%26slotId%3D1

In case you're inclined to buy I need to tell you that, now I have one on hand, the tux itself is every bit worth the asking price. It's classy looking and well tailored, and while the wool material might or might not be a bit thinner than you would expect in a more expensive tuxedo, it's not noticeably so. That said, I haven't taken my old ($700 in 1980s money) tux out yet to compare the two.

HOWEVER, the sizing is all over the place.

While I should probably order a 42R I generally buy a 42S - a 42R I would have to get the sleeves shortened and I sorta like a slightly shorter overall jacket length (so long as it's not obvious). In this instance the 42S was simply too narrow across the body and visibly too short. Meanwhile, the accompanying 36" waist pants, which I shouldn't have been able to fasten at all right now, were not all that hard to fasten.

So I ended up reordering in a 44R and I guess I'll have to pay probably another $100 or so for tailoring, being as the accompanying 38" pants are probably going to be OK for now but maybe loose when I lose some weight (I am working on it!) and the jacket sleeves at a minimum are going to be too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Received my 44R. Surprisingly, I still need to lose an inch or so off my belly before it'll fit right, both jacket and pants. Which is weird because a 44R jacket should be pretty loose on me. In fact, that was my biggest fear - that the jacket would just look too big. Jacket length is good in the regular vs. the short, but the sleeve length definitely needs attention. Pants are a bit snug right now, but will be perfect with another inch off my waistline, so really just the inseam as you'd expect with un-hemmed pants.