Anyone know about Princess 'Beach Day" on Waikiki?

Wishing on a star

Just curious!

Wondering if any access to anything other than the beach-loungers you are assigned?

Perhaps this (from a Princess website) may be helpful:

"Enjoy a carefree morning or afternoon on world-famous Waikiki Beach, the birthplace of surfing, while soaking up views of the iconic Diamond Head Crater. You'll lounge on a VIP portion of beach adjacent to the legendary "Pink Palace of the Pacific", The Royal Hawaiian Hotel. One of the first hotels established in Waikiki, The Royal Hawaiian remains an eye-catching reminder of Hawaii's glory days. With its gorgeous Spanish-Moorish architecture and expansive landscaped lawns and gardens, you'll have the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable half-day Hawaiian experience.

Just bring your swimsuit, change of clothes, sunblock, sunglasses and towels and meet your beach transport at the pier. Waikiki Beach Break is only a short ride away. Upon arrival you will be greeted and taken to your complimentary beach set which includes a shared umbrella and personal chaise lounge. You can laze away a few golden hours sunning, swimming and people-watching, or you could even learn to surf!

There's a convenient rental kiosk offering all sorts of equipment at a 10% discount to Waikiki Beach Break participants. Surf lessons and stand up paddling lessons are all taught by one of the legendary Waikiki Beachboys. And don't miss the opportunity to partake in another sport that's uniquely Hawaiian - surfing a wave on an outrigger canoe!

When your tour concludes, you may return to the pier or opt to stay on the beach for independent shopping, dining and exploring (just arrange your own transportation back to the ship -- by taxi or local buses and trolleys). There's so much to see and do in Waikiki, you'll want to spend as much time here as you can".

I don't know how much Princess charges for this day but...the rented umbrellas and lounges adjacent to the Royal Hawaiian are in front of the Outrigger Waikiki. You can take a taxi from the ship directly to the Outrigger and rent your own beach umbrella and chairs. Then take a taxi back at your leisure. If you prefer, there is another concession adjacent to the Moana Surfrider (not the Outrigger side) with the same rentals. All beach locations on Waikiki have beautiful views of Diamond Head and access to outriggers, surf lessons, etc. I don't think I would pay the ship for this service which is soooooo easy to do on your own. I love spending a day under an umbrella and swimming on Waikiki, enjoying lunch at Dukes, and evening entertainment at several locations. JMO Cherie

I don't know how much Princess charges for this day but...the rented umbrellas and lounges adjacent to the Royal Hawaiian are in front of the Outrigger Waikiki. You can take a taxi from the ship directly to the Outrigger and rent your own beach umbrella and chairs. Then take a taxi back at your leisure.

The price quoted was "from $99.95" per person (!).

Yikes!!! It seems like if you paid $20 each way for a taxi (an Uber may be less), and $50/day for two lounge chairs and an umbrella you would be ahead about $100. That covers the cost of lunch at Duke's and evening mai tai's at the Banyan Court. Plus you don't have to wait for other passengers to load the transportation, you can leave and return when you want. I know what I would do but I am very familiar with Waikiki and love it. Cherie

Edited by cccole

We're planning to do our own beach day at Waikiki by taking "The Bus" (Honolulu's bus system) to the beach and back for a grand total of $5.00 per person. That way we'll have plenty left to rent an umbrella or get some Hula pie at Duke's!

Agreed! We are looking forward to a DIY day. Our only other time in Honolulu we did the Pearl Harbour ships excursion. So much wasted time waiting on others. We went to Waikiki in the afternoon but had only about 50 minutes. ☹️ I vowed if fortunate to return to enjoy the beach, drinks at Dukes, etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We'd like to do some beach time at Waikiki also. It's been a long time since we've been there. Does anybody know if there are any lockers available to rent? It would be nice to be able to lock up the phone and wallet while we swim.

I remember seeing Koa Beach Services having lockers for rent, along with beach loungers, umbrellas, surfboards, etc. Sorry don’t know the cost and there weren’t that many lockers, less than 50 if I recall. I usually use an aquapac to keep my phone & wallet dry and attached to my person so no need to rent a locker.

I remember seeing Koa Beach Services having lockers for rent, along with beach loungers, umbrellas, surfboards, etc. Sorry don’t know the cost and there weren’t that many lockers, less than 50 if I recall. I usually use an aquapac to keep my phone & wallet dry and attached to my person so no need to rent a locker.

Thanks! That's what we are going to do. We were going to get those before but the ones we looked at were too small for our phone. I guess I just forgot about them. They have several now that will fit the bigger phones.

(y)

Thanks! That's what we are going to do. We were going to get those before but the ones we looked at were too small for our phone. I guess I just forgot about them. They have several now that will fit the bigger phones.

(y)

You’re welcome. Have a great cruise!

The last time we were in Honolulu with Princess, we got off the ship as soon as we were allowed. Grabbed a city bus $2.50 per person and got off at Diamond Head (no more than 20 min ride). Trekked up to the top and were on our way back to Waikiki by bus prior to Princess passengers even boarding their tour bus to Diamond Head. And, we got to experience the trek up without hoards of other people. A blessing. Once the bus dropped us back in Waikiki, we walked along the main drag, did a bit of shopping, had lunch at the Sheraton Moana Rider, popped into an ABC Store, bought a couple of beach chairs (the soccer version), then walked along the beach to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Personally, I do not like the Wakikik sand, it is full of pebbles. I heard that the sand gets brought in from somewhere else. The sand on the Eastern beaches past Hanamau Bay which is to the East of Diamond Head are much much nicer. Baby soft sand. I know this as we once spent a week in Oahu and circled the whole island by car, stopping at every beach along the way, saw the surfers, visited the Baywatch Beach and stayed for another week at the Hilton Turtle Beach (now called something else). There is also a city bus that goes to Hanamau Bay where the snorkeling is divine and to be honest there is also a city bus that circles the entire island of Oahu (but it takes a couple of hours). Don't waste your money on a $100 per person Princess Beach Break. Waikiki Beach is very much a DIY project.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The last time we were in Honolulu with Princess, we got off the ship as soon as we were allowed. Grabbed a city bus $2.50 per person and got off at Diamond Head (no more than 20 min ride). Trekked up to the top and were on our way back to Waikiki by bus prior to Princess passengers even boarding their tour bus to Diamond Head. And, we got to experience the trek up without hoards of other people. A blessing. Once the bus dropped us back in Waikiki, we walked along the main drag, did a bit of shopping, had lunch at the Sheraton Moana Rider, popped into an ABC Store, bought a couple of beach chairs (the soccer version), then walked along the beach to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Personally, I do not like the Wakikik sand, it is full of pebbles. I heard that the sand gets brought in from somewhere else. The sand on the Eastern beaches past Hanamau Bay which is to the East of Diamond Head are much much nicer. Baby soft sand. I know this as we once spent a week in Oahu and circled the whole island by car, stopping at every beach along the way, saw the surfers, visited the Baywatch Beach and stayed for another week at the Hilton Turtle Beach (now called something else). There is also a city bus that goes to Hanamau Bay where the snorkeling is divine and to be honest there is also a city bus that circles the entire island of Oahu (but it takes a couple of hours). Don't waste your money on a $100 per person Princess Beach Break. Waikiki Beach is very much a DIY project.

This is why I belong to Cruise Critic!!!! Great information, Thanks!:D

After reading the boards here, when we cruised to Hawaii last Thanksgiving we took the city bus. We each got a senior day pass for $2. and rode the bus to Waikiki. We found a great spot near public restroom where we could change out of swimsuits when we left the beach. Then we hopped on the city bus and returned to the ship. Easy peasy.

Thanks Cruise Critic!

After reading the boards here, when we cruised to Hawaii last Thanksgiving we took the city bus. We each got a senior day pass for $2. and rode the bus to Waikiki. We found a great spot near public restroom where we could change out of swimsuits when we left the beach. Then we hopped on the city bus and returned to the ship. Easy peasy.

Thanks Cruise Critic!

Can you get the senior bus day pass on any bus?

Great info on this thread.

54409807[/url'>"]54409807]The last time we were in Honolulu with Princess' date=' we got off the ship as soon as we were allowed. Grabbed a city bus $2.50 per person and got off at Diamond Head (no more than 20 min ride). Trekked up to the top and were on our way back to Waikiki by bus prior to Princess passengers even boarding their tour bus to Diamond Head. And, we got to experience the trek up without hoards of other people. A blessing. Once the bus dropped us back in Waikiki, we walked along the main drag, did a bit of shopping, had lunch at the Sheraton Moana Rider, popped into an ABC Store, bought a couple of beach chairs (the soccer version), then walked along the beach to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Personally, I do not like the Wakikik sand, it is full of pebbles. I heard that the sand gets brought in from somewhere else. The sand on the Eastern beaches past Hanamau Bay which is to the East of Diamond Head are much much nicer. Baby soft sand. I know this as we once spent a week in Oahu and circled the whole island by car, stopping at every beach along the way, saw the surfers, visited the Baywatch Beach and stayed for another week at the Hilton Turtle Beach (now called something else). There is also a city bus that goes to Hanamau Bay where the snorkeling is divine and to be honest there is also a city bus that circles the entire island of Oahu (but it takes a couple of hours). Don't waste your money on a $100 per person Princess Beach Break. Waikiki Beach is very much a DIY project.[/quote']

This sounds almost like what we did, although Diamond Head hike was crowded then. I covered a little of it in a review that starts at this post.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53163895&postcount=171