Tahiti Shore Excursions

robcruz

We are on the QE SFO-SYD next February with 3 stops in Tahiti: Papeete, Bora Bora and Moorea. Are there any shore excursions available at these ports as we go ashore or do I have to make reservations ahead of time?

If there are excursions available on the docks, what kind are they? Private, semi-private, bus tours?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

There are plenty available. In Bora Bora and Moorea, some right at the dock. Not in Papeete, where choices are more limited. I would try to book in advance, so that you can make an informed choice.

I would start by doing research at Tripadvisor.com on Bora Bora and Moorea, there are plenty of tour operators mentioned there, with reviews. Both BB and M will include various snorkeling opportunities, some combined with stingray and/or shark encounters (the peaceful kind.) Both also have 4x4 trips around the islands, ATV tours, and jetski tours.

On Tahiti, I've only ever heard of Patrick's trip around the island--haven't done it, but it's highly rated I think. You can also just explore Papeete, especially good if you're there on a day when the Municipal Market is open.

Frommer's has a free walking tour of Papeete posted on their site. Viator resells a few tours on Tahiti. We're taking one of their around the island tours when we get there in February. We chose history and culture and are taking a "around the island" tour. I have also heard good things about Patrick's tour if you want to snorkel or 4WD.

The tours offered are private for you or a small group.

As mentioned they are not at Papeete. You can go on a ships tour or book ahead of time (trip advisor is a good source). There are also some things to do near the port including a market.

Keith

An interesting place to explore on your own, walking distance from port. Big markets, food downstairs, other goods upstairs, lovely church, wide tree lined streets with French influence highly visible.

Be on deck when you arrive, there was a great display of dancing as we docked and for a small donation you could have your photo taken with either the beautiful Tahitian girls or very handsome young men.

• 8 months later...