5 Things to Pack for Your First Cruise

LauraS

We also only take a first aid kit. I thought power strips weren't allowed. I also bring an extra laundry bag for dirty laundry. Typically, I have some laundry washed on board. With the exception of swim suits, which I wash with the hand soap on board, I bring other items home.

1. Never taken, never needed, and Mrs Gut can shop till she drops

2. Is one we do take but usually just a small zip lock bag with a few necessities, like band aids aniseptic Cream (small tube) etc.

3. Nope that’s why I buy a soda package strewth they’d need a fork lift to take enough for me.

4. OK o a loooooooong Cruise we do a few loads of laundry and take some OMO pods in an old jar we can toss when it’s empty

5. Never seen the need I wonder how much electronic junk some people must use. We take a couple of iPads, a couple of Cameras, a wheelchair, Mrs G’s hair stuff but still manage with the power points in our cabin.

Two things not mentioned that I think are invaluable, a small sewing kit, the sort some hotels have about the size of a matchbook, and an eyeglass repair kit, (small screwdriver, screws, nose pad in a tube the size of a cigarette).

I don’t take any of those items either. I have been on 30 cruises.

I do take a sleeve of NyQuil and DayQuil because if I get a cold, those are what I want and the ship may not carry them. OTOH, I have bought meds onshore in Europe and [sometimes] found them to be superior to US brands.

The only thing we take on the list is a First Aid kit. I make sure it's well stocked (DH and I used to be FA instructors), and have had to make use of it - usually for others - a number of times on our trips.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

• 5 weeks later...

We don't take the things on the list except the first aid kit. I take a few of everything and put them in a zip lock sandwich bag. I take band aids, neosporin, dayquil and nyquil gel caps (I just rear off a few of the strips), Pepto pills, tums).

Extra reading glasses. I've lost them EVERYWHERE.

There's also some bad advice in the comments under the article. Couple of people saying you can't take a hair dryer. We always take a small travel hair dryer. Plus,we take one of those little cubes that gives us the ability to plug more things in.

I take extra zip lock bags in all sizes. Great for packing damp swimsuits in or when I get a snack and take it back to the room, I can put it in the baggie in the fridge (gallon and 3 gallon sizes are great for packing too).

I take a few OTC medications. And have a couple of bandaids and first aid cream in my shaving kit.

I did take a power strip, but did not need it. I have an international adapter that also has two USB charge ports. So a 2 or 4 outlet USB power supply plugged into the adapter, and we can charge 4 - 6 devices. Nothing else needed.

A totally useless list.

DON

This is why I feel sorry for the new cruiser coming to CC. I can see how they could be overloaded with useless information and not have any idea what to ignore. Not to even mention the bad/inaccurate info offered.

Oh, whatever you do, don't forget the duct tape or your cruise will be ruined. :D

Other than soda, I pack the others for every trip we take. I have a "cosmetic bag" that opens up to pack flat and also hangs. I included some otc meds, bandaids, eye glass repair kit, sewing kit, laundry soap packets, febreeze, deodorants, toothpaste/brush, etc.

I don't bring a power strip but do have a charger with 5 openings so I just bring the cords to my electronics. Large plastic bags for dirty clothes or wet items.

Add us to the list of those who take none of these items. As mentioned, power strips - in particular those with surge protectors - are prohibited on most cruise lines. Many also restrict beverages that can be brought on board as. As to laundry bags, we pack our used clothing daily into our suitcases stored under the bed. By the last night we are 90% packed to return home.