Did you rent a house/condo in Honolulu ?

pamssanity

We rented a condo in the Ilikai. It was great to have a kitchen for breakfasts, leftover restaurant food, late night snacks, etc. The cost was way below the cost of many hotels in Waikiki. Our lanai looked over the HHV lagoon and we had a super ocean view.

We booked a condo in Waikiki Shores which from what I understand is the only condo complex directly on the beach and not across the road. So you literally walk out of the building onto the beach. It is a older building so you do want to look for units that have been updated. Looks like a great location. It sits adjacent to the Outrigger Reef hotel. Our unit has owners privilege at the Outrigger and the Outrigger provides concierge services on behalf of the owners. Still a little over a year away from our trip. We are staying 3 nights precruise before POA cruise

We recently stayed on Oahu for a couple weeks (not cruise related). The first week we sub-leased a timeshare at Waikiki beach in one of the big towers. There is a lot to do in town (restaurants, shopping, etc) but as we wanted to explore the island, had a car and driving in and out of Honolulu was a pain. The place was expensive to rent, as was parking and restaurants. The resort did have a pool and other amenities. I don't know if I can post sites, but we found the timeshare through a vacation rental site (note that we did not buy the timeshare, we only bought the 'week' from an owner).

The second week we stayed in a duplex on the north shore. Very quite up there and we could walk across the street to a gorgeous and almost deserted beach. The place we rented wasn't as nice and didn't have all the amenities, and we had to drive anywhere we wanted to go other than the beach, but the price was only about half the downtown timeshare. We found that one on a site that includes 'bnb' in its title.

For both places, we really liked have a kitchen as restaurant food is expensive and with our group of seven, eating out would have been a budget killer. We shopped at Costco and a local supermarket to get supplies. At most breakfasts and lunches, plus a few dinners at our place.

If we went back, I would probably look first at the north side; however am glad we stayed in Honolulu to experience it. I guess it depends on what you are expecting from your vacation.

Good luck on your research; don't think you can go wrong in Hawaii!

Cheers,

Beside WAIKIKI and the North Shore, other areas such as Kailua and Ko Olina are possibilities. Ko Olina is west of Pearl Harbor and usually the driest and warmest part of the island. There is a Marriott Beach Resort timeshare and the Disney Aulani timeshare and hotel. Between them is the Ko Olina Beach Resort, private modern condo complex with many units available for rent. If you have a big budget the Four Seasons Resort is also out there. Lots of nice beaches, a small shopping center and a golf course complete the resort area. The town of Kapolei is only a few miles away with all the stores you could want, including Costco, Walmart and Target.

Beside WAIKIKI and the North Shore, other areas such as Kailua and Ko Olina are possibilities. Ko Olina is west of Pearl Harbor and usually the driest and warmest part of the island. There is a Marriott Beach Resort timeshare and the Disney Aulani timeshare and hotel. Between them is the Ko Olina Beach Resort, private modern condo complex with many units available for rent. If you have a big budget the Four Seasons Resort is also out there. Lots of nice beaches, a small shopping center and a golf course complete the resort area. The town of Kapolei is only a few miles away with all the stores you could want, including Costco, Walmart and Target.

We are considering a 1 bedroom villa at Ko Olina. Did you stay in one of these? Was it easy to walk to pools and to the beach?

Not sure where you are looking at a one bedroom. Beach Villas at Ko Olina has only 2 and 3 bedroom units. They are all close to the pools and the beach. Disney Aulani has one bedroom units and they are also close to pools and the beach, as is the Marriott Beach Villas. The Four Seasons Resort is also right on the beach, those four are the only ones right on the beach. Other properties would be on the other side of the golf course, which is a bit of a walk to the beach but doable.

Not sure where you are looking at a one bedroom. Beach Villas at Ko Olina has only 2 and 3 bedroom units. They are all close to the pools and the beach. Disney Aulani has one bedroom units and they are also close to pools and the beach, as is the Marriott Beach Villas. The Four Seasons Resort is also right on the beach, those four are the only ones right on the beach. Other properties would be on the other side of the golf course, which is a bit of a walk to the beach but doable.

I have confirmation for a 1 bedroom, mountain view, at Ko'Olina in April. I was told there are a limited number of one bedrooms. Hopefully this does not mean I have a long walk to the pools and beach. I have access to all the amenities of the Marriott Beach Villas.

It's very possible Marriott Beach Villas has one bedroom units. It's a large complex, I'm not familiar with their room layouts. They have several pools and are right on the beach, no long walk. Longboards restaurant and bar there overlooks the beach and is one of my favorites, reasonably priced too. The Ko Olina marina is close by where you can get snorkel trips on several nice boats, also a helicopter ride is available from there. The Marriott has there own luau show, others in Ko Olina are at the Disney Aulani and Paradise Cove.

It's very possible Marriott Beach Villas has one bedroom units. It's a large complex, I'm not familiar with their room layouts. They have several pools and are right on the beach, no long walk. Longboards restaurant and bar there overlooks the beach and is one of my favorites, reasonably priced too. The Ko Olina marina is close by where you can get snorkel trips on several nice boats, also a helicopter ride is available from there. The Marriott has there own luau show, others in Ko Olina are at the Disney Aulani and Paradise Cove.

Thank you so much for this information.