Cambodia: Next Star! Tips, Secrets?

TLCOhio

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Times this morning, they have this headline: top writers on their holidays in 2017 with one of these highlights being about Cambodia.

Here is what their experienced writer shared: Cambodia, they say, is what Vietnam was 15 years ago. That makes it a great destination right now, both for adventurers and those who like the finer things in life. The temples of Angkor will blow you away, particularly at dawn or dusk. Siem Reap is home to the boutique hotel I most enjoyed in 2017 (Viroth’s) and the best meal I ate all year, at the Cambodian-French fusion restaurant Cuisine Wat Damnak. And Phnom Penh has one of the most moving museums I’ve ever visited. The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum packs the same punch as famous genocide museums in Europe and Israel. Cambodians are laid-back and less quick to hustle than the Vietnamese. And we never even got to the beaches, which are supposed to be splendid.

We are getting ready next month for our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will include seven days sailing up the Mekong River, including at Phnom Penh and then a couple of days in Siem Reap for Angkor Wat, etc.

Love to read your tips, suggestion, secrets, etc., for Cambodia and these areas. Don't be shy!! Tell us what you loved while in Cambodia.

Full UK Times Sunday story with travels stars for 2018 at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/the-sunday-timess-top-writers-on-their-holidays-in-2017-znnd9xrc8

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 191,000 views for this posting.

From the Travel Section in the London/UK Telegraph on Dec. 22, they have this headline: 10 incredible ways to see Cambodia with this highlight: Cambodia’s real draw is the magnificent Angkor Wat. Built in the 12th century and encircled by a vast, mirror-like moat, it is adorned with the carvings of thousands of celestial “apsara” dancers. On this tour, you’ll sleep in a luxury, pop-up camp on the periphery of the majestic temple complex, before rising early to be one of the first through the gates. Once the sun has risen, and the stones have glowed a vibrant gold, you’ll get an exclusive up-close look at the hauntingly beautiful structures.

Here was an interesting suggestion from this profile for us to consider: "See another side of Cambodia – from a helicopter. Departing from Siem Reap airport, you will climb high enough to see the entire Angkor Wat complex sprawling beneath you, before touching down at the less-often visited, 11th-century Preah Vihear Temple."

They also shared: "Although not as prolific as Thai or Vietnamese cuisine, Khmer food can still hold its own against the world’s most flavoursome."

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tours/best-tours-of-cambodia/

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,297 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

From this Telegraph article, here was an interesting AP picture featured from Siem Reap.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

Screen%20Shot%202017-12-25%20at%209.44.39%20AM_zpsjcakq0hv.png

Edited by TLCOhio

From Forbes Magazine in mid December 2017, they have this headline: Exotic Celebrity Travel Destinations You Can Visit with these highlights about Angelia Jolie's experiences in Cambodia: She first saw Angkor Wat and the fascinating temples of Siam Reap when playing 'Laura Kroft – Tomb Raider' in 2001. Taken with the area and startled by its troubled, tragic past, Jolie adopted her son Maddox from Cambodia in 2002 and recently returned to direct 'First They Killed My Father,' an account of the Cambodian genocide. Siam Reap, very near the 12th century Angkor Wat and Ta Prohm - the so-called “Tomb Raider Temple,” is a vibrant city with comfortable hotels.

The excitement is building as we read more on these wonderful and interesting areas of Southeast Asia. Less than a month until we depart.

Full story at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshiels/2017/12/17/nine-exotic-celebrity-travel-destinations-you-can-also-visit/#3b62dff545b0

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

The Cambodian people were very welcoming. They are a resilient culture. I had read "First they Killed my Father" and the "Killing Fields" prior to our Mekong River Cruise, Vietnam and Cambodia. I was horrified that I knew so little of this nation's tragedy ( I guess I was busy being a young mom). Neither my husband nor I chose to do the excursion to see the Killing Fields in Phnom Penh and do not regret that decision. Driving through the countryside you can picture families fleeing for their lives and hiding in the forests. You will be changed by this journey.

We have spent several winters in SE Asia. We leave again in Jan for two months. On our last visit we spent 10 days or so in Cambodia prior to a month in Vietnam. My spouse was not anxious to go. After the trip, she now wants to return.

We found the Cambodian people to be particularly gracious. We flew into Siem Reap and spent three days there. Our guide was one of the highlights. He not only toured us and gave us background but also told us about his family hardships during the Khumer Rouge regime and what it is now like, Cambodia has such a tragic contemporary history. They have been betrayed, lied to, tricked by most of their so called friends and liberators.

We went by land to Phnom Pehn. We enjoyed it there and met a very interesting young French woman who had moved there as a civil engineer. She had roots in the country and was assisting in the rebuild. She had lots of interesting stories.

One of our favorite places was Kampot. We went there by road and stopped in Kampot prior to crossing the border into Vietnam. Again, incredibly gracious people with wonderful hospitality. The countryside was quite beautiful.

I hope that enjoy you this part of the world as much as we did. We did not do a river cruise thought we do do a short one in Phnom Penh.

We started to go to SE Asia during our winter on a whim four years ago. . Our previous plan fell through so we booked a flight to Thailand on 10 day notice. Had to drive several hours from home to the consulate to pick up an extended visa. We spent more winters there and we are now going back. We love the peoples, the food, the sites, and the experiences. Florida, Arizona, Hawaii, Mexico are all nice but the do not 'do it' for us. I hope that you have a wonderful time.

Edited by iancal

Forgot to mention...if it is an issue for you. We obtained our Cambodian visa when we arrived in Siem Reap ( by air).

It was a very straightforward and speedy process. We did not have a photo. They take one. We were no more than 15 minutes from the time we lined up to the time they handed our passports back and sent us on our merry way. Seems to me it was about $30 USD in Feb/16

We enjoyed the food, though we prefer Thai. We went to some of the killing fields. They were of course haunting. We did not go to the fishing village near Siem Reap. It was Feb, water levels were extremely low. Our guide said that it was not worth our time. We followed his advice.

The short dinner tour on the river at Phnom Penh was just OK. Not really much to see. Food was not great. In fact, they gave us refund! That had to be a first.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a trip to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, HongKong and Japan last month. We travel extensively all over the world, have been to a great many countries, and speak 5 languages fluently and can understand a couple more for easy contact with locals. I feel I can be honest with you, since you travel extensively as well, so are used to certain things as well.

We did not see more of Cambodia than the trip overland from Thailand to Siem Reap and 4 days in Siem Reap. Compared to other countries, we did not like Cambodia much. We got the hell out of Cambodia and loved every minute in Vietnam, which is totally different. We found people in Siem Reap very fake, and only welcoming of your dollars and not you. You know and feel you are ripped off everywhere. I got so tired of the constant hassle being badgered and cat-called every single second of the day by people who want to sell you something, want you in their tuk-tuk, want you to come into their restaurant, shop, etc. They will tell you anything they think you want to hear and that will entice you to part with your money. They won't take no for an answer and get really stroppy with you. A popular thing to do is stop the tuk-tuk in the middle of nowhere and try to extort more money out of you, on top of what you negotiated in advance. I don't know if you have been to Egypt, it is the same kind of hassle and nagging at the pyramids and in Luxor. A friend of mine who actually speaks Arabic had the same taxi experience in Hurghada all the time where they stop in the middle of the desert.

We bought our visa online in advance, very fast and easy, since we were warned about unsavoury extortionate practices at the land border at Poi Pet (Poi Pet is a hell hole that should be avoided). We thought the smooth and hassle free entry process was well worth the 6 dollars extra, on top of the 30$ visa fee. Siem Reap airport is very modern and efficient, and I doubt you would have any problems there, as in other modern airports.

Officially, Cambodia has its own currency, but nobody want riels, the locals pay with dollars themselves, and the ATMs only dispense US dollars. Only change smaller than 1 dollar is given in riel, ideal to give as a tip to the maid or something. For some strange reason, nobody in Siem Reap wants 2 dollar bills, they just refuse to take them. We have good experiences with the Canadia Bank. Very reliable, clean, nice staff, good ATMs.

Angor Wat is actually just one of the many temples in the area. Ta Prohm is the temple with the vines growing all over them, Angkor Thom is spread out over a large area, the terrace of the elephant king is interesting, and there are many more. If you want to visit the temples, be warned that they are miles apart, and miles away from any hotel and miles away from the city centre. You cannot walk, you cannot rent a bike, scooter, car or any kind of self-drive vehicle, and there is no local bus. You have to rely on tuk-tuks. The going rate to take you around all day, and wait for you whilst you are in the various temples, is 15$. Most hotels know a realible driver. You do have to do your homework where you want to go, the drivers are not licenced guides. Make sure you tell the driver the first day that you do not have a ticket yet, as the ticket office is many miles away from the entrance. The ticket office takes credit cards, you can buy 1, 3 or 7 day tickets. Even if you are only there for 2 days, the 3 day pass ($62) is more economical that 2x a 1 day pass ($37). All hotels can organize a guided tour for you as well, this of course will cost more.

In Siem Reap, we did a 1/2 day Khmer cooking course at the restaurant / cooking school Tigre du Papier. It only cost $15 per person and is great fun. You can choose anything from the menu you want to cook, they take you to the market, and after the cooking, the dishes are eaten together (if you are with more people, choose different dishes to cook so you can share). They even send the recipes to your email address.

Appreciate these excellent follow-ups from iancal, deec and UKBayern. Very helpful and interesting. Am copying much of this info to my laptop computer file for this trip. Things are getting closer. Just a little over a week till we depart on Jan. 21. Keep it coming!! Bad, cold weather is coming this weekend to Ohio, the Midwest, NE USA, etc. Some temperatures in the 88F range will be a nice and improved change.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 193,522 views for this posting.

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline: “52 Places to Go in 2018” with these highlights for part of Cambodia: Angkor Wat is still the biggest draw in Cambodia, but new flights, an improved airport terminal and new hotels are drawing more visitors to the coast. New routes and more direct flights to Sihanoukville International Airport, a gateway to the white-sand beaches, have increased leading to a renovation and expansion that will double the airport’s capacity by early 2018. And new hotels — notably Six Senses on Krabey Island and Alila Vilas on Koh Russey, both opening this year — make the diving, snorkeling and beach life far more accessible.

In a little over a week, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia, but will not be able to visit these Cambodia coastal area. BUT, they sounds great and we would hope to visit there in the future.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ft ravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region =rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPla cement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,490 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

• 1 month later...

We are now back from our first river boat and Avalon sailing. It was for the Mekong River!!

Well-pleased with these countries, especially Cambodia, plus Avalon, the ship, staff, food, tours, etc. On my live/blog, there are dozens of pictures and many details to document these fun adventures and travels. Happy on the live/blog to answer any and all questions, share more info/background, etc.

Now, we shift our focus and attention to mid November, 2018, for our Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc. Many options to consider and logistics to research. Keep hearing great things from other travelers about Oceania, the staff, their food, etc.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

• 5 months later...

From the South China Morning Post this past week, they had this headline: tips to avoid the crowds at Asia’s most popular tourist destinationswith this sub-head: Angkor Wat, Halong Bay and Inle Lake all have one thing in common: terrible overcrowding that annoys tourists and residents alike. These similar but less crowded alternatives allow you to enjoy some peace and quiet.

Here are some more story highlights: "As Cambodia’s top tourist draw, Angkor has become overrun with tourists in recent years. According to the Ministry of Tourism, in the mid-1990s about 7,500 visitors explored the site annually. Last year, this figure hit almost 2.5 million. To dodge the crowds, Hou suggests trading in Angkor for Srah Srang, a 900-year-old lake that offers breathtaking reflections of the sunrise with virtually no people around. Its proximity to Ta Prohm – the root-riddled temple made famous by Lara Croft: Tomb Raider featuring Angelina Jolie – means visitors can explore the temple while the masses are still swamping Bayon."

For us at Angkor Wat and Halong Bay, both were busy, but we managed to survive and make it work. Both are super-stars not to be missed. That's part of the challenge!!

Full story at:

https://www.scmp.com/lifestyle/travel-leisure/article/2161649/tour-operators-tips-avoid-crowds-asias-most-popular-tourist

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 239,361 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is another "angle" on the crowds and numbers for Angkor Wat, the "star" of Cambodia.

From the Cambodia Daily publication today, they had this headline: Cambodia’s famed Angkor earns nearly 79 million USD in 8 months with these highlights: Revenue from ticket sales to foreigners visiting Cambodia’s famed Angkor Archaeological Park reached 78.7 million U.S. dollars in the first eight months of 2018, up 13.8 percent over the same period of last year. The park welcomed 1.74 million international tourists during the January-August period this year, up 8.5 percent over the same period of last year. China is still the largest source of tourists to the ancient site, as South Korea and the United States rank second and third, respectively.

Glad to know we were counted and included in these number from being there earlier this year. Interesting as to from where the most visitors are from.

Full story at:

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/business/cambodias-famed-angkor-earns-nearly-79-million-usd-in-8-months-139974/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 59,010 views for these postings.

We were fortunate enough to have private guides in two areas who had very personal, family insights into the Kmer Rouge regime.

They both gave us very interesting insights into that dark period and how their respective families fared, perished, survived, etc. It was really brought home when we visited two of the many killing fields that dot the country. The countryside around Kampot is very nice and relaxing. Good change from Siem Reap or Pnom Phen.

• 2 weeks later...
We were fortunate enough to have private guides in two areas who had very personal, family insights into the Kmer Rouge regime. They both gave us very interesting insights into that dark period and how their respective families fared, perished, survived, etc. It was really brought home when we visited two of the many killing fields that dot the country. The countryside around Kampot is very nice and relaxing. Good change from Siem Reap or Pnom Phen.

Appreciate thisabove comments and helpful follow-up point about the value of guides and their experiences. Yes, we had in Cambodia to have a guide who lost his father, a college professor, sadly due to the "Killing Fields" period. Having these personal insights gave us a better understand for what was so tragic and terrible.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Now at 34,903 views. See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474