Back from Wind Surf Dec. 16-23

elklemi

Back from my first Wind Surf cruise and received so much info from others on this board which helped me decide to take my first Wind Star cruise and had a wonderful experience and discovered this is what I had been looking for as a way to enjoy the real caribbean. I finished my review and if I can answer and questions from others who are questioning as I did I will be glad to answer any concerns you may have. Happy New Year to all.

So happy you had a great time. We are off 1/6 for the 14 day. We love the ship and we are excited. Our first was 1999 and have stayed with the company since. Years of great experiences and memories. What did you do in Anse Matin and did you do any of WS snorkeling trips, which one. Happy New Year and Happy Sailing.

We are Windstar virgins and have booked 2 x B2B 7 day cruises on Feb 17th 2018.

We have cruised many other lines, and after 71 cruises on Princess we have decided to try to have a better experience even if it costs more than double - which it does.

Can you tell us if Windsurf has English Breakfast Teabags available please, and if so what brand?

Our last cruise on Princess recently was 29 days and we couldn't get a decent cup of tea as Princess suddenly dropped the 2 decent brands they had and just had cheap cr*ppy ones.

Yes OK I am a Brit, or obviously I wouldn't be at all concerned.

I will bring my own teabags if necessary, as I will in future on Princess, we already bring our own shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc etc on Princess as we don't like their current brands.

And while I am asking, do Windstar have afternoon tea with nice scones, cream and strawberry jam?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Having been on the Wind Surf many times they do have vatious teas including English Breakfast and Earl Grey. I do not know the brand. I like them and was brought up a tea drinker ( mother from Newfoundland ). When in doubt bring your own. I know 2 gentlemen that bring their own coffee and French press coffee maker. Taste is so subjective. They do bring out on deck cookies and cakes around 4 each day. I have never scene scones and clotted cream. The products on WS cruises are L.Occitane which are wonderful. Again taste. Enjoy your cruise, we think they are wonderful. Happy New Year and Sailing.

Ditto Strenz.

I always pack a bunch of Earl Grey on any trip I take anywhere. It's curious how often I find that Earl Grey is not available on airplanes, airport lounges, and yes, on board cruise ships. Always have found the good Earl on Windstar, but why risk it? I always have a little plastic ziplock baggie filled with Earl Grey just in case.

Can you tell us if Windsurf has English Breakfast Teabags available please, and if so what brand?

I will bring my own teabags if necessary, as I will in future on Princess, we already bring our own shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc etc on Princess as we don't like their current brands.

And while I am asking, do Windstar have afternoon tea with nice scones, cream and strawberry jam?

Thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Yes, they have English Breakfast tea. I found the tea to be good, but I don't recall the brand. I'm American but pretty picky about tea quality.

They didn't do afternoon tea on our trip last spring on Star Legend and I don't recall every seeing a scone on Windstar.

Plenty of other lovely food but not that. I do appreciate having an afternoon tea with a scones, clotted cream and jam. If you ever find yourself on Crystal, they have scones for afternoon tea. Overall, I prefer the Windstar ships, but it was nice to have a cream tea on Crystal.

Ditto Strenz.

I always pack a bunch of Earl Grey on any trip I take anywhere. It's curious how often I find that Earl Grey is not available on airplanes, airport lounges, and yes, on board cruise ships. Always have found the good Earl on Windstar, but why risk it? I always have a little plastic ziplock baggie filled with Earl Grey just in case.

Funny how often I run into the opposite - hotel restaurants or meeting rooms where they have an Earl Grey and 5 different herbal teas but no plain black tea. Waiters and catering staff who don't understand that there is a difference. And don't get me started on the water...how often it's not hot enough or is flavored with left over coffee if they switch pots in between. BTW, to be a bit more on topic, not problems I've run into on Windstar ships. The pot was a dedicated hot water pot and the water hot enough.

Love to hear more! I'll be on Wind Surf in 2 days, same itinerary. We were on Star Breeze last year, Venice to Athens. We're looking forward to our first Caribbean Windstar cruise. Here are a few questions. How often was the sports deck open? Do they have snorkels for use? Which evening was the BBQ? What did you do that was memorable in each port? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Another concern is availability of sugarfree jams and jellies - and desserts.

And are Marmite and/or Vegemite available? English bacon? Kippers at breakfast? I don't really expect any of those.

And is there a cigar smoking area on Windsurf?

Cigars may be smoked outside on the port? side. All three levels have ashtrays for smokers. My husband likes to enjoy one on the deck above the Compass Rose. The little bar there used to be a cigar bar. Usually, there are few people there and he can enjoy it without inconveniencing others.

I do believe that cigars are only allowed above the Compas Rose. I could be wrong but I have been on WS cruises where if cigars are being smoked on the main decks people complain for good reason. “Cigar smoke vs sea air “ I do not complain but I would. It is very intrusive. I do believe there are sugar free jellies, not sure about desserts but think there are and there is always fruit. Don’t know about Marimite or Vegemit. Never have seen English bacon or Kippers. There is substitute sugar. Great food, variety, fresh, healthy, presented beautifully, ample and more choices than you can imagine. Great cappuccino in the Yacht Club, terrific sandwiches. Lunches and breakfasts small bufetts and menus, great salads. Very healthy and delicious healthy. Hope this helps. Of course food is subjective but that is my take. Happy Sailing

Strenz is correct that cigar smoking is limited to the top deck above Compass Rose. My husband smokes cigars once a week but not on board. There is at least one sugar free dessert daily. Food options are excellent. Have never seen vegemite or marmite but have never asked. Definitely no English bacon or kippers. Have seen pickled herring on occasion. You seriously might want to look into the QM2. We sailed on her 4 years ago. She had all the British goodies on board, proper tea each afternoon along with an orchestra and a dedicated cigar room where cigarette smoking is banned and 50% passengers were Brits. It was lovely but not the same type of experience as Windstar. Windstar is majority American and not at all like Princess. Mostly down to earth people with very few demands and a crew who goes out of their way to please all. Their tag line of 180 degrees from ordinary is 100% accurate. To us the joy of travel is to have experiences that are different than mass market.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

. You seriously might want to look into the QM2. We sailed on her 4 years ago. She had all the British goodies on board, proper tea each afternoon along with an orchestra and a dedicated cigar room where cigarette smoking is banned and 50% passengers were Brits.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I gave up on Cunard years ago after QE2 went out of service, I have sailed QM2 a few times but really don't like it. Too big, snobby crew as well as passengers, poor menu choice in the lower class dining rooms.

Having said that the Cunard scones are the best of any line I have sailed on but there is so much more to life on board than a good scone.

Thanks for the info!

Martinique was our first stop and since I did not get on the ship until late I did not do any tours there and where we were dropped off there was a beach there and I walked around the waterfront area and wished I had done an excursion as this was not the best spot we stopped off at and would have been nice to see more of the island. Only excursion I took was at St Lucia which I think was called heritage tour and it was fine and got to see more of the island.

Martinique I just walked around where the tender dropped us off and beach was there but not as nice as others on the trip, not a lot to experience right there and would take an excursion if I went back there, snorkel equipment was "loaned" to all passengers for the whole trip if you wanted and I noticed many took them off up on this and did a lot of snorkeling.

First night there was some noise but I thought that was due to our late departure and trying to make up time, never heard it the rest of the cruise. When you go out your door the stairway/elevator is right there and so convenient to go right up and get my morning coffee and newspapers at 6 am.

Ditto Strenz.

My wife loves Earl Grey. I may recommend that she pack some just in case.

Edited by JimAOk1945