Tipping porters

Nevada Jen

Here we go again. Haven't had one of these posts in at least a week. If you have to know, I do not tip the porters. I do not believe in tipping overpaid longshoremen who blackmail you into tipping by making you believe that if you do not tip, they will toss your luggage into the water. I have never tipped and my luggage has never been tossed.

DON

People give a range if they tip and you see it here.

My guess is that average is around $2.00 to $3.00 per bag.

We tip around $5.00 per bag and when we leave the ship if we need extra help and they have to wait with us for our car we will tip a little more but other amounts as mentioned are certainly fine.

Just like tipping for a taxi or even for a meal people tip at different ranges and just like those services if a porter is not very nice we would adjust the tip accordingly although in our experience we have had very helpful porters.

Keith

This tipping porters thing has me very confused! First time cruiser here, can't you just carry your bags up to the "check in" desk? (Is there a check in desk?) I'm leaving out of Fort Lauderdale on RCI. I never had anyone carry my bags at an airport or hotel, I'm used to doing it myself! Heck these days at airports no one else even touches your bags, you attach your own tags and put your bag on the conveyer yourself. I'm not against tipping but I'm Canadian so I don't just have dollar bills in my pocket, I'd have to get money changed after landing, and I don't quite understand what service I'm paying for.

This tipping porters thing has me very confused! First time cruiser here, can't you just carry your bags up to the "check in" desk? (Is there a check in desk?) I'm leaving out of Fort Lauderdale on RCI. I never had anyone carry my bags at an airport or hotel, I'm used to doing it myself! Heck these days at airports no one else even touches your bags, you attach your own tags and put your bag on the conveyer yourself. I'm not against tipping but I'm Canadian so I don't just have dollar bills in my pocket, I'd have to get money changed after landing, and I don't quite understand what service I'm paying for.

Anything larger than a carry-on needs to be checked curbside with a porter. You cannot check in with them. Think of it like mandatory skycap at an airport.

As for tipping, it is customary to tip them. However, it's totally your choice how much, or if at all.

Here we go again. Haven't had one of these posts in at least a week. If you have to know, I do not tip the porters. I do not believe in tipping overpaid longshoremen who blackmail you into tipping by making you believe that if you do not tip, they will toss your luggage into the water. I have never tipped and my luggage has never been tossed.

DON

And here we go again. They are not overpaid longshoremen. They are porters who only work dragging luggage a few hours when cruise ships are in.

And here we go again. They are not overpaid longshoremen. They are porters who only work dragging luggage a few hours when cruise ships are in.

That is the career choice that they have chosen. I don't have to pay them a tip to compensate for the fact that they made a bad career choice.

DON

That is the career choice that they have chosen. I don't have to pay them a tip to compensate for the fact that they made a bad career choice.

DON

Doesn’t that apply to anyone in a tipping type job???

I am always a bit amused when people spend hundreds of dollars on a nice cruise but then balk at paying a few bucks to the last person who handles your luggage.;)

I feel I am blessed to be able to cruise, so that few dollars is well worth it to me.

Happy Sailing Everyone!!

DON

The least you can do is stop categorizing them as "overpaid". If they were truly overpaid, then they made a wise career choice and then you would be obligated to tip by your own criteria.

Last year we tipped $2 per suitcase and porter said that it is too little. $5 minimum is good (that's what he said).

Did you ask him if that was adequate or did he just offer that info because he wanted more?

Did you ask him if that was adequate or did he just offer that info because he wanted more?

He just told us that it is not enough and asked for more. It happened last February in Port Everglades when we were boarding 10 day Celebrity cruise if it makes a difference.

He just told us that it is not enough and asked for more. It happened last February in Port Everglades when we were boarding 10 day Celebrity cruise if it makes a difference.

He would’ve got nothing for his attitude!!! Tipping is totally up to the tipper not the tipee. Unless it states somewhere what the price is per bag

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He would’ve got nothing for his attitude!!! Tipping is totally up to the tipper not the tipee. Unless it states somewhere what the price is per bag. $2/bag is fine. Others tip more some tip less but what you offered was totally acceptable.