Trvel agent vs direct purchase

fortunatetail

I have been on 4 Windstar cruises. First one booked through travel agent; all others directly from Windstar.I prefer to handle it all myself. But is there any price differential??? ie, are there any discounts, etc, available to travel agents that are not available to me?? Considering Italy and Dalmation Coast this June.

I have booked both ways, but just recently found that if you go through a large reputable agency, you can get on-board credits, a bottle or two of wine, and one or more special dinings. The last cruise I booked was directly through the cruise line while on board another trip. I gave my current travel agent as my agent. When I found that the agent was giving me nothing in return, I cancel her and went back to a booking without an agent. The agent then started negotiating for me to keep her listed. That is when I found she was getting $1200 from the cruise line for my booking, when I had done all the work. I listed another agency which is giving me a total of $800 on-board credit for handling the booking. The price of the cruise did not change.

So it seems the cruise line may have about $1000 to 'play with' on a 4-5K cruise price. Why does the cruise line not have the flexibility to offer $500 discount or OBC to passengers who make their own arrangements?? That would seem to be a win-win. I assume it may violate a part of their contract with TAs??