Thirteenth Deck?

CarolinaGirl2010

I noticed on our last cruise on Oasis of the Seas that there was no thirteenth deck. I had never paid attention to that before. Is that normal for cruise ships?:confused:

It was not normal on RC ships until they had passenger stateroom decks that went up that high. For years they had a public deck 13, but removed it when it became all staterooms.

I noticed on our last cruise on Oasis of the Seas that there was no thirteenth deck. I had never paid attention to that before. Is that normal for cruise ships?:confused:

Their sister company, Celebrity does not have 13th floors on their ships fleet wide. Not uncommon both on land and at sea.

It's funny how some consider "13" to be unlucky. Ask any 12 year old how they feel about turning 13, and most, if not all are excited about it. After all, it's their first year of officially being a teenager. :eek:

Maybe that's how the whole thing started a long, long time ago. 13 is lucky for a 12 year old, but not so much for parents.

I'm told it's because there were 13 at table at the Last Supper.

Do hotels miss out the 13th floor because people genuinely don't like it, or is it just because two or three people have told them they don't like it and they panicked?

Condos here in Vancouver are even worse - many lack ANY floors with a 4 in them plus most skip the 13th, so ensure they won't miss out on potential sales to Asian & Western superstitious folks respectively. Elevators often run: G,1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,15 then skip 24, 34, and even the entire batch of 40s! I believes this is why the new Trump Tower has the highest floor number in the city going into the 60s but other buildings that are taller stop at 50ish...

Have not noticed for other cruise lines, but Celebrity also has no cabins ending in the numbers 13. So for example the cabins go 8109, 8111, 8115

This is the case on Princess, Holland America and most other major lines.

They obviously do have a 13th deck. However, it is labeled as deck 14 because some people who lack a modicum of intelligence are superstitious.

DON